PDA

View Full Version : Crossing Equator 1944

cadetat6
01-21-08, 03:14 PM
I don't know if Marines would like this. I am a WW2 vet, pilot and infantry man, my younger brother wounded at BASTOGNE AND K.I.A. crossing Rhine , River 101st airborne ,my brother-in-law a Marine Officer was part of tradition crossing Equator. I am a 85 year old vet, nothing but memories.

Marion Interview Bergett

Art and I met with Don Burgett and his lovely wife Twyla on Wednesday at the home that Don built out in the country. They were gracious hosts and made "Papa" Art and I feel right at home. When we first got there, we sat and watched a herd of deer behind their home in the woods. It was quite a site.

Art was able to talk over the events of his brother Robert's death in April of 1945. Don told him how they first crossed the Rhine to Himmelgiest and how A Company was set to be the "lure" to draw the Germans out and give Patton and his tanks a way in. When the men were re-crossing the Rhine the night of April 12th, they were under attack by the Germans. Art's brother wasn't killed by enemy fire per se, but when several of the boats overturned in the cold, swift waters. Don said this could have been due to overcrowding, or maybe that a shell might have possibly struck the side of the boat or very near it. He is not sure. Several of the men drowned including Robert. The river at that point was a mile across and the men could not be rescued, even though many of their brothers tried in earnest.

One of the men that drowned had been injured while in Himmelgiest and in order to keep the bleeding at bay, had his arms taped/strappped to his chest and of course when he fell over, he could not swim. It was very heart-wrenching to hear this. It definitely brought somber looks on all our faces.

We talked on many different subjects while we were there drinking coffee and covered everything from grandchildren to Stephen Ambrose. Don has an extremely agile mind and his wife says that he never forgets a thing! At one point Art, being so impressed, asked Don if he kept a diary. No he replied, he remembered it all in his head. If you've read his books, you know what a wonderful writer he is. He is also a wonderful speaker and it would have been easy to pitch a tent in his yard and listen for days in a row of his days in the ETO.

I asked him if he still had his nickel-plated .45 and he sure does. He said he could have lost it very easily when he was injured and in the hospital, but a very kindly doctor (and against regulations) let him keep it. He had told the doctor how important is was to him and when he awoke he felt something slip down his side. It was his cherished 45. He was a very happy man.

We got to see the shadowbox with all this medals and ribbons. What an impressive site that was. I am including one of the photos right now (I have more!!) that shows Don and I and with this medals in the background.

I taped most of the time we were there and am so glad I did. I listened to about half of it while lying in bed last night. I was worried the tape wouldn't turn out. You know how that goes! But it came out a-okay. I plan on creating a page for him on my site, but won't publish it until I get his approval. He is a stickler for the truth and detail, and I want to make sure that everything I put in writing gets the BIG OKAY! I wish more people had his regard for the truth. He is a man of great integrity. What an honor. My head is still reeling.

There is one more story that I want to share before I sign off for now and that is regarding the fantastic portrait that hangs in his living room. He was at the VA hospital and there were several lines with about 15 men in each. He happened to look over and saw a line with only one man it. He walked over and then a wonderful thing transpired. The man looked at Don's jacket and saw that he was part of the 101st. The man said his brother was too, but he had died and he and the family knew nothing except for the telegram they received 60 years ago. He didn't know what company his brother was in. So Don asked what his brother's name was and when the man said it, Don was taken back because the man's brother happened to be next to Don when he died. They were setting up a machine gun when a bullet struck the man in the head and killed him. Had Don not decided to wear his jacket that day, this event would have never transpired. The man he met that day wound up painting his portrait (he's also blind in one eye) and this is how it holds a place of honor on his wall. What a story huh? Another one of those that gives you goose bumps.

I have to sign off. Will return in about ten minutes and upload a photo or two. Hang in there. Also have to proof read this. Sure it contains boo-boos!!

Okay I'm back...

It will be a day I will never forget. I feel very honored to have been in his company and I now have a signed copy of Across the Rhine. He made me an "honorary" member of the 101st. Pinch me, I'm dreaming. This very busy man took a morning out of his life to meet with the two of us. I can't ever say thanks enough. It meant the world to me.

Here is a photo of Don and I. I have a feeling it will be one of my all time favorites. Currahee sir. You are a truly great man.

Marion Interview Bergett

Art and I met with Don Burgett and his lovely wife Twyla on Wednesday at the home that Don built out in the country. They were gracious hosts and made "Papa" Art and I feel right at home. When we first got there, we sat and watched a herd of deer behind their home in the woods. It was quite a site.

Art was able to talk over the events of his brother Robert's death in April of 1945. Don told him how they first crossed the Rhine to Himmelgiest and how A Company was set to be the "lure" to draw the Germans out and give Patton and his tanks a way in. When the men were re-crossing the Rhine the night of April 12th, they were under attack by the Germans. Art's brother wasn't killed by enemy fire per se, but when several of the boats overturned in the cold, swift waters. Don said this could have been due to overcrowding, or maybe that a shell might have possibly struck the side of the boat or very near it. He is not sure. Several of the men drowned including Robert. The river at that point was a mile across and the men could not be rescued, even though many of their brothers tried in earnest.

One of the men that drowned had been injured while in Himmelgiest and in order to keep the bleeding at bay, had his arms taped/strappped to his chest and of course when he fell over, he could not swim. It was very heart-wrenching to hear this. It definitely brought somber looks on all our faces.

We talked on many different subjects while we were there drinking coffee and covered everything from grandchildren to Stephen Ambrose. Don has an extremely agile mind and his wife says that he never forgets a thing! At one point Art, being so impressed, asked Don if he kept a diary. No he replied, he remembered it all in his head. If you've read his books, you know what a wonderful writer he is. He is also a wonderful speaker and it would have been easy to pitch a tent in his yard and listen for days in a row of his days in the ETO.

I asked him if he still had his nickel-plated .45 and he sure does. He said he could have lost it very easily when he was injured and in the hospital, but a very kindly doctor (and against regulations) let him keep it. He had told the doctor how important is was to him and when he awoke he felt something slip down his side. It was his cherished 45. He was a very happy man.

We got to see the shadowbox with all this medals and ribbons. What an impressive site that was. I am including one of the photos right now (I have more!!) that shows Don and I and with this medals in the background.

I taped most of the time we were there and am so glad I did. I listened to about half of it while lying in bed last night. I was worried the tape wouldn't turn out. You know how that goes! But it came out a-okay. I plan on creating a page for him on my site, but won't publish it until I get his approval. He is a stickler for the truth and detail, and I want to make sure that everything I put in writing gets the BIG OKAY! I wish more people had his regard for the truth. He is a man of great integrity. What an honor. My head is still reeling.

There is one more story that I want to share before I sign off for now and that is regarding the fantastic portrait that hangs in his living room. He was at the VA hospital and there were several lines with about 15 men in each. He happened to look over and saw a line with only one man it. He walked over and then a wonderful thing transpired. The man looked at Don's jacket and saw that he was part of the 101st. The man said his brother was too, but he had died and he and the family knew nothing except for the telegram they received 60 years ago. He didn't know what company his brother was in. So Don asked what his brother's name was and when the man said it, Don was taken back because the man's brother happened to be next to Don when he died. They were setting up a machine gun when a bullet struck the man in the head and killed him. Had Don not decided to wear his jacket that day, this event would have never transpired. The man he met that day wound up painting his portrait (he's also blind in one eye) and this is how it holds a place of honor on his wall. What a story huh? Another one of those that gives you goose bumps.

I have to sign off. Will return in about ten minutes and upload a photo or two. Hang in there. Also have to proof read this. Sure it contains boo-boos!!

Okay I'm back...

It will be a day I will never forget. I feel very honored to have been in his company and I now have a signed copy of Across the Rhine. He made me an "honorary" member of the 101st. Pinch me, I'm dreaming. This very busy man took a morning out of his life to meet with the two of us. I can't ever say thanks enough. It meant the world to me.

Here is a photo of Don and I. I have a feeling it will be one of my all time favorites. Currahee sir. You are a truly great man.

Art