PDA

View Full Version : Good comeback.

jrhd97
01-21-08, 12:06 PM
<table class="applicationcontainer managementview" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="18" width="507"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td id="first" nowrap="nowrap" width="167">This was sent to me by a friend .

One of my sons serves in the military. He is stationed stateside,
here in California . He called me yesterday to let me know how warm and
welcoming people were to him and his troops everywhere they go. He
told me how people shake their hands and thank them for being willing to
serve and fight, not only for our own freedoms but so that others may have
them too.
Then he told me about an incident in the grocery store he stopped at
yesterday on his way home from the base. He said that several people were
in the line ahead of him, including a woman dressed in a burkha.
He said when she got to the cashier, she made a loud remark about the U.S.
Flag lapel pin the cashier wore on her smock. The cashier reached up and
touched the pin and said, 'Yes, I always wear it proudly, because I am an
American.'
The woman in the burkha then asked the cashier when she was going to stop
bombing her countrymen, explaining that she was Iraqi.

Then, a Gentleman standing behind my son stepped forward, putting his arm
around my son's shoulders and nodding towards my son, said in a calm and
gentle voice to the Iraqi woman: Lady, hundreds of thousands of men and
women like this young man have fought and died so that YOU could stand here,
in MY country and accuse a check-out cashier of bombing YOUR countrymen.
It is my belief that had you been this outspoken in YOUR own country, we
wouldn't need to be there today.
But, hey, if you have now learned how to speak out so loudly and clearly, I
ll gladly buy you a ticket and pay your way back to Iraq , so you can
straighten out the Mess in YOUR country, that you are obviously here in MY
country to avoid.'

Everyone within hearing distance cheered!
<script type="text/javascript">function yNoP( cID ) { var container = document.getElementById( cID ); if ( typeof container != "undefined" && container != null ) { if ( container.innerHTML.match( /
/i ) ) { var aList = container.getElementsByTagName( "A" ); if ( aList != null ) { var len = aList.length; for ( var i = 0; i < len; ++i ) { var tmpStr = aList[i].innerHTML.replace( /
/gi, "" ); aList[i].innerHTML = tmpStr.replace( /<\/p>/gi, "
" ); } } } } } yNoP( "nwad" ); yNoP( "swads" ); </script> </td> <td id="spacer" nowrap="nowrap" width="3"><spacer type="block" width="3"></td> </tr></tbody></table>

jetdoc
01-21-08, 01:33 PM
Great story...he should've taken a hammer and smashed her in her Burkha covered face!!!!

3077India
01-21-08, 03:20 PM
According to Snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com/rumors/lapelpin.asp) the validity of this story (http://www.snopes.com/rumors/lapelpin.asp) is undetermined. Here is what Snopes has to say about this story:

We first encountered this e-mail in April 2003, during the early days of the war in Iraq. Since then it has been passed from inbox to inbox, variously titled "Ann Rea's Son," Rea's Son," and "Letter From A Mom."

Is it a true story? We don't know. There is little in it that lends itself to independent verification — other than his being identified as "Ann Rea's son" in some tellings, the serviceman is not named (and the question remains open as to whether "Ann Rea" is a first-and-surname combo or a double-barreled given name), and neither his base nor his unit is mentioned. Likewise, none of the other characters in the story have names or are in any other way identifiable; not the patriotic cashier, the burqa-clad woman, or the outspoken older man. Indeed, neither the name of the store nor that of the city where the incident purportedly took place is provided.

Some folks question the e-mail on the basis of its key figure being described as wearing a burqa, a traditional head-to-toe covering worn by many women in Afghanistan — someone from Iraq would be highly unlikely to don such a garment, given that Iraq is a far more secular part of the Muslim world. They correctly point out that in the U.S. a woman clad in such a garment would be a rare sight indeed and that anyone so garbed would be unlikely to be found shopping unaccompanied by her husband or other male relative or to be addressing those she encountered in the outspoken manner attributed to the woman in this story. Yet it is entirely possible the story's author confused one unfamiliar article of clothing for another, describing the woman as clad in a burqa when he meant she was wearing a chador (a quite different kind of robe) or a hijab (a head scarf), the latter commonly worn by Muslim women in the U.S.

In the almost-year since this story first made the rounds, no one has stepped forward to claim authorship of it or to say "Yes, I was that soldier" or "My mother was that cashier" or "I was another customer in the store that day and saw the confrontation." Does this mean the story is fiction? Well, no. The lack of supporting evidence doesn't disprove the account, it just fails to prove it.

However, when evidence to confirm them is lacking, one should strive to remain skeptical of what are presented as real-life accounts that state in narrative form things people are predisposed to believe, especially those tales wherein wrongdoers get their comeuppance through being told off by others. The "ungrateful Iraqi read the riot act over her lack of appreciation for the sacrifices Americans are making for her" is too neat an illustration of a concept held too dearly by too many not to be viewed with a dose of suspicion.

Many Americans view their country's war with Iraq as a humanitarian effort undertaken to liberate the sorely oppressed Iraqi people from a monster of a leader, and they are therefore angered by a seeming lack of gratitude on the part of those they are rescuing. Because the issue is so clear-cut to them, they find it hard to accept that some Iraqis may continue to be resentful of the coalition forces that invaded their land, bombed their cities, killed some of their citizens, and are still occupying their country. To those Americans who have seen their sons and daughters shipped off to fight this war, it's ludicrous their soldiers are being cold-shouldered by the very folks they're dying for. A story of one such Iraqi being publicly reminded of what's being done for her will resonate quite strongly with those parents (and other Americans), in that such a tale represents a voicing of what many of them would very much like to say.

Barbara "yarns that cause the brows to knit" Mikkelson

SGT7477
01-21-08, 03:31 PM
If you don't love this great country of ours,GET THE HELL OUT.

sparkie
01-21-08, 07:13 PM
I'll get the he11 out, as soon as some commie a-hole can prove I don't love this country.

SGT7477
01-21-08, 07:26 PM
You got that right sparkie.