PDA

View Full Version : Transitions

DobbinsBlythe
01-21-08, 08:52 AM
So, My husband's first duty station is MacDill AFB in Tampa, FL. Cushy, joint services, definately not fleet.

We have a very nagging feeling (supported by statements) that we will be moved to Camp Lejeuene this winter. We have about 9 months to really prepare.

Does anyone have any information on jobs that doesn't include monster.com, careerbuilder.com usajobs.gov or any other online source? I've already checked most of them out only to find that there's barely any employment opportunities up there. Maybe some local newspapers who post online classifieds or anything of the sort would be nice to see. Even though I have lots of time, I'd like to get a good grip on the job market. Preparation is key to not going out of my mind. I think I have OCD, but anyway.

Also, housing. On base vs. Off base. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!!!

GySgtRet
01-21-08, 03:44 PM
I don't think that you have OCD at all. It is excellent to be prepared. The Jacksonville area has never been a real great place for employment. There is the usual mall jobs. I would suggest going to Camp LeJeune's website and also Onslow County there may be information there for you. Would you and your Marine go to Camp LeJeune or New River? As far as housing goes it is all run by contractors from what I understand. It is not first come first served though it depends on when you arrive. I would contact the housing office and find out what the housing policies are for you.

Maria, there are no stupid questions.

Let us know.

:flag:

Sgt Leprechaun
01-28-08, 04:15 AM
Jobs: Difficult due to the area, but not impossible. However, it will take some searching, not just in the newspapers or online, on your part.

Housing: We lived in Tarawa Terrace when I was there, wife and kids loved it. Schools were very good on base.

Off base housing isn't bad, but we actually preferred on base. Prices will vary depending on the area. Also, take into account the commute, there are nice little places further away from mainside Lejeune, but the on/off base commute will start to stack up quick and before you know it, it's an hour to, and an hour from, work every day. That's a drag when you gotta get there for PT an hour before work, etc.

DobbinsBlythe
01-28-08, 08:33 AM
Ok, so I have good news.. We'll probably not get orders to Lejeune. Looks more like Pendleton now. His monitor asked through a mutual "friend" which coast he prefers. The email we got back was "Since he's not willing to extend for overseas and he has a better interest in the west coast due to employment for the spouse, he'll get either intel or radio BN.. both are located on Pendleton."

:D

Now he has to give up some of his guns haha.

Wait, what are restrictions on arms like in California. I heard they were really bad about it.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-28-08, 11:07 PM
They are, but what they dont' know......don't get too uptight about it.

Good luck on the 'left coast'....I would have preferred Lejeune, but I'm an East Coast kinda guy LOL

testforecho2112
01-28-08, 11:47 PM
Dont forget they call California the PRK, Peoples Republic of Kalifornia for a reason. While the Sgt is right about what they dont know, take it from a former California cop, if you get caught with them, and you get someone who isnt sensitive to Marines, it can get ugly quick. California is not forgiving when it comes to illegal weapons. Best case, he loses them forever, worst case they prosecute.

DobbinsBlythe
01-29-08, 07:49 AM
So what would be considered an illegal weapon in the PRK?

AR-15? Glock 19? Please specify, so that I know what we need to drop off in Alabama....

^_^

testforecho2112
01-29-08, 10:39 AM
The AR is definetly a NO-NO. Weapons with removable magazines or clips must not exceed 10 rd capacity. AR's have to be fitted with a 10 rd non removable magazine since by design they fall under the 'assault weapon' category. There are kits that can be purchased to 'Californicate' an AR to meet the weapons law. No fully automatic weapons are allowed unless you have a license (good luck with that). California Penal Code 12020 has the list...here it is, good luck decyphering...

http://www.thesteward.net/rights/cpc12020.html

I can be more specific if you want, but off the top of my head I can tell
you the AR is a no-no. You are better off leaving it out of state in any case.

I have more links to California's wacky assualt weapon ban if you are interested...there is a reason I left California for Utah!

DobbinsBlythe
02-01-08, 05:29 PM
Yeah.. we're definately probably leaving the AR back in Alabama....

Any other advice about the Pendleton area? Where to find living space (Oceanside, Carlsbad.. etc?)

:D

DobbinsBlythe
02-01-08, 06:06 PM
To add to my last questions....

Info on where the "it" spots are to Live...
Info on PCSing that far away.. Should we ship a car and drive the other?
Should we ship a car and sell the other and fly? o.O

Info on the general cost of living. (I know our car insurance is going down by half.. thanks to the Retirees and senior citizens of Florida and the lack of those same people in California)
Anything and everything on the area would be helpful!

<3

ttracker65
04-17-08, 05:07 AM
Maria as to the Gun Issue, California does have waivers for active military personel.

DobbinsBlythe
04-17-08, 06:21 AM
the question is now moot. We're not leaving at least until summer 2009. Thanks though!