PDA

View Full Version : 1858 or 1859 for the NCO sword

srgreenjr
01-20-08, 12:23 PM
:flag: This past week at Cpl's course we learned a brief history of the NCO sword, and we were tought that the NCO sword was adopted in 1858. My problem is that everytime I look up the sword I find that it does not say that the NCO sword was adopted in 1858, but that it was the 1858 model calvary sword. Some of the sites I found said that the sword was actually adopted in 1859. This might seem minor but I would like to know that we as Marines are given the correct info on the history of our culture and weapons. If anyone can help answer the question of 1858 or 1859, then please help this young devildog out. Thank you.

Zulu 36
01-20-08, 04:29 PM
:flag: This past week at Cpl's course we learned a brief history of the NCO sword, and we were tought that the NCO sword was adopted in 1858. My problem is that everytime I look up the sword I find that it does not say that the NCO sword was adopted in 1858, but that it was the 1858 model calvary sword. Some of the sites I found said that the sword was actually adopted in 1859. This might seem minor but I would like to know that we as Marines are given the correct info on the history of our culture and weapons. If anyone can help answer the question of 1858 or 1859, then please help this young devildog out. Thank you.
The Marine NCO sword started out life actually as the US Army foot officer's sword, adopted in 1850. I believe the 1858-59 time drame was correct as to the date of adoption by the Corps for officers, replacing the Mamaluke style for a time.

About the same time, Marine NCOs were authorized a sword very similar to the officer's sword, except in a plainer version. As now, the officer's scabbard was rigged for a sword sling and the NCO scabbard was rigged for a frog.

Marine NCOs carried swords from nearly the beginning of the Corps because of their shipboard duties, as it was a badge of authority and a standard shipboard weapon. Also, the Marine Guard on smaller naval vessels were often commanded by an NCO, not an officer (hence you might read of the terms "a Sergeant's Guard" or "a Corporal's Guard").

The current NCO sword is essentially the same sword from the Civil War days with some modifications, such as different steel, blunt edge, fancy etching on the blade, fancier hilt work, etc.