PDA

View Full Version : China and other pics from Gunny Welsh.

jetdoc
01-20-08, 09:29 AM
Hi all, Gunny Welsh sent me these pics, (actually a while back), and I am just now getting around to posting them....(sorry Gunny). They are from when he was in China and the Japanese Surrender, etc. Great pics...there are lots of them.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n234/jetdoc/image-2.jpg

jetdoc
01-20-08, 09:44 AM
The files are too large to post individually so I am making an album on Photobucket with a link. I am adding the Gunny's comments as I can...sorry for the delay.

The pic above: Sun Tien Dschung and Chinese Officers in front of Flag Decorated main hall.

jetdoc
01-20-08, 10:45 AM
Here is the link to Gunny's photo album....enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jetdoc3037/GunnyWelshSPicsFromChinaAndJapan

yellowwing
01-20-08, 06:01 PM
Great historic pictures, taken by one of our own! :iwo:

jrhd97
01-20-08, 07:40 PM
Job well done!

jinelson
01-20-08, 07:47 PM
Outstanding flicks gunny. I can't remember ever seeing any photos of the surrender.

Jim

jetdoc
01-21-08, 01:30 PM
Trying to see if Gunny can fwd me some additonal pics, I will add them to the album.

vmfn513
01-22-08, 04:51 PM
Several things: 1) No Japan. The surrender was called The Double Tenth for North China in Peking in 1945. I was still in Okinawa. We arrived in China in late Sept/ early Oct. in time to ride shotgun on the Japanese bring returned to Japan. In fact they were loaded on the LSTs we rode from Okinawa. I got the pictures from a Camera store where I purchased a Zeise Ikon(sp) 120 Camera. Which I used to take some of the other pictures. We did get several trips (by rail) to see the Great Wall of China. I have some other pictures from liberty runs. Ricashaws(sp) transportation and young Marines , still sober.
I have a total of about sixty-four, mostly Chinese bldg. I put captions on the photo. But if you want I can put up what I have.
And Jetdoc, THANK YOU for all you have done. This is all new to me. I worked with computers , mainframes IBM, for about 27 years before retiring.
But no site roaming. But I am getting there since I can't get out and do my volunteer work anymore.
Thanks to all of you.
SEMPER FI!!!!
Lee

jetdoc
01-22-08, 04:56 PM
Oops, my bad about Japan.

jetdoc
01-22-08, 05:26 PM
Gunny the ones on Picasa have captions, or at least the ones you put captions on. I'm sure we all would love to see more pics, they are very interesting.

yellowwing
01-25-08, 09:39 AM
Hey, Gunny may I ask about the story of "Caribou" Johnson?

Semper Fi

vmfn513
01-25-08, 12:18 PM
"Caribou" Johnson was an old salt from the "CHINA" Marines. He was a character! My encounter with Caribou was here in Edenton at the NCO Club. He was alway telling Sea stories of his time in China....

yellowwing
01-25-08, 01:06 PM
Good to hear that even in your Service there were Old Salts preaching about the Old Corps! :usmc:

vmfn513
01-25-08, 04:12 PM
There were three cases: those that were truly "old salts"
Those that thought they were.
and those who wished they were and pretended.
and you quickly learned to identify each for what they were

bcnelson
05-26-11, 08:28 PM
I would love to hear more about Caribou Johnson. He was my Great Uncle and like a grand father to me. He married my grandfather's sister (Geri) after his retirement. I grew up listening to his stories every summer when he came up to Nova Scotia from Boston. My aunt and I were there to lay him to rest in 1992 in Revere, Mass.

Brian.

silverdollar
05-27-11, 06:28 AM
Glad to hear someone else knows where Edenton is, I was there in 57&58 untill I was discharged.I guess the Corps didn`t know what to do with me when I came back from overseas so they sent me to...