PDA

View Full Version : 'Freezin’ For a Reason' MARSOC supports Special Olympics

thedrifter
01-19-08, 05:44 AM
'Freezin’ For a Reason' MARSOC supports Special Olympics

Jan. 18, 2008; Submitted on: 01/18/2008 09:40:43 AM ; Story ID#: 200811894043

By Lance Cpl. Josephh R. Stahlman, Marine Forces Special Operations Command

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (Jan. 18, 2008) -- Marines, Sailors, and civilians with U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Special Operations Command, along with hundreds of other participants from the Camp Lejeune area, participated at the 2008 Onslow County, N.C., Special Olympics Polar Plunge here, Jan. 12.

Sandy beaches, bathing suits, children building sand castles, laughter in the air and hundreds of people gathered for a day at the beach might seem like a warm, sunny day of frolicking on the beach, but for the hundreds of Polar Plunge volunteers, warm and sunny wasn’t the case.

“The water was choppy and freezing cold. After awhile, my body started to go numb,” said Cmdr. Dale C. White, MARSOC Chaplian. “But we all knew we would be ‘freezin’ for a reason’, which is the Polar Plunge motto.”

“The purpose of this Polar Plunge is to raise money for the (Onslow County) Special Olympics athletes,” explained White. “MARSOC had more than 100 participants, volunteers and supporters. With our four different teams combined, we raised more than $1,400 for this great cause.”

In total, participants in the event raised more than $25,100, well beyond the event planners’ goal of $20,000.

“The freezing cold temperature of the Atlantic Ocean doesn’t compare to the joy on the children’s faces at the Special Olympics,” explained Hospital Corpsman 2d Class Brad D. Mueller, Battalion Aid Station, Marine Special Operations Support Group. “With every donation, we provide more kids the opportunity to participate in the Special Olympics.”

Meuller was among 48 other MARSOC volunteers who supported last year’s Special Olympics events held aboard Marine Corps Air Station New River.

Some might shiver at the word “volunteer”, but according to Mueller, MARSOC Marines and Sailors see volunteering as an opportunity.

“The pay-off is worth the time and effort every person puts into these functions,” he said. “Volunteering is probably the most rewarding thing a person can do. Not only do you get to affect the lives of these children, it’s a rewarding and fun experience as well.”

According to White, there is no shortage of volunteers in MARSOC. He believes the Marines, Sailors and family members of MARSOC have a genuine spirit and drive to reach out to their community.

“MARSOC always has a great turn-out for every function we volunteer for,” said White. “I believe these actions speak volumes about how selfless and giving these Marines and Sailors are about serving their nation and supporting their community.”

After the plungers finished showing their support in the water, they moved to the beach where they enjoyed food and hot cocoa in heating tents. During the Polar Plunge, participants competed in a costume competition as children participated in a sand castle building contest.

The total number of plungers for the competition reached 390 with an estimated 200 spectators.

“The entire Lejeune area really pulled together to make this event a success,” said White. “I think this event was a great experience and a lot of fun for everyone.”

“I encourage everyone to volunteer or donate for these causes,” explained Mueller. “I think it makes a big difference in these children’s lives because I know they make a difference in mine.”

Ellie