PDA

View Full Version : Clarification Re: Contracts at MEPS

xpaz
01-18-08, 10:10 PM
Hey guys, been lurking around here for some time soaking everything in, without much of my own to ask or contribute. For what it's worth, this is a great resource and a knowledgeable community and I hope to contribute, participate, or at least learn much more from it.

I'm a 23 year old 2006 graduate of the University of Arizona with a somewhat useless degree (but a degree nonetheless) in Media Arts. I've been considering the military (not necessarily only the Marines, in truth) since early high school.

But as everyone says, if you have the means to go to college, it's generally a good idea to do so. So I did the college thing and now I'm back in the same spot, with a few new options.

First off let me say that I'm about 90% decided against OCS. I don't believe that the same argument for college applies to becoming an Officer in the Marine Corps (or any branch for that matter). Many have told me "You have a degree; you should be an officer." I don't give much credence to this, as I feel it would do a disservice to the Marines that would be under my command for me to only be there because I had a degree and a desire for a higher pay grade. I think the enlisted ranks would have a lot to offer me towards becoming a better officer in the future, should my decision ever come to that. I'm more than happy to hear other suggestions of why one in my situation should attempt OCS. I've briefly spoken on the phone with my local OSO, but have not had time during the week to actually get in and ask questions yet.

On that note, I was recently informed by my recruiter that OCS is a voluntary course, in that there is no real signed contract going into it. In other words, he said that if you don't make it through OCS, you can throw your arms up in the air and say "FORGET IT!" with no further obligations to the Marine Corps. Is this true? Just curious.

Moving on... I have a considerable amount of MOS-related questions that I'd love to ask, but they are questions that I know won't have very definitive answers, so for the time being I will refrain.

I do, however, have a handful that I've done some searching for and just haven't found a clear-cut answer to. The closest thread I found was:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58638&highlight=meps+contract

When discussing the enlistment process with my recruiter a few days ago, my understanding of the process went something like this:

Talk to recruiter
Go to MEPS for medical and ASVAB
Swear in while at MEPS; sign a contract (?)
Return to recruiter and discuss MOS/OccFld optionsBefore everyone jumps the gun with the "needs of the Marines first" stuff, I'm aware of it, and to some degree agree with it. My question is basically what am I actually committing to while at MEPS, before returning to discuss my MOS/OccFld options with my recruiter. Contrary to what my recruiter told me, I've read in a few places that you actually commit to your MOS/OccFlds while at MEPS and not with your recruiter.

It's my understanding that after MEPS I'd be a Poolee. Would I have a set ship date at this point? What I'd prefer to avoid is returning from MEPS with a full-blown committment and essentially an "open contract." Please correct me if this interpretation is incorrect. The impression that I got is that at MEPS I would basically say "I do solemnly swear..." and put that in writing.

Then I'd return to my recruiter and discuss my three preferred OccFlds. What happens if none of my preferred OccFlds are available? This seems highly unlikely. I basically don't want to return to my recruiter, with a ship date or some other committment, then say "I'd really like Military Police," only to have him respond "Sorry, not gonna happen; pick something else," until I end up picking something that he (not personally) agrees with.

In other words, how much bearing do my "three preferences" in my contract actually have if I've already committed myself to service while at MEPS? Don't get me wrong, I want to be a Marine to be a Marine. But I feel people tend to do better jobs when their job is something that holds at least some interest to them.

Or is it the case that coming out of MEPS I'd be in DEP and have no set ship date? I'm just a little bit lost as to how DEP works, I guess. I've seen some posts on here where some will say "I just got back from MEPS. They didn't have openings in my MOS so I postponed my ship date." I didn't know that was even possible. Does your time in DEP expire at some point where you will be forced to ship with a MOS of their choosing? Or do you sit in DEP until your MEPS committment expires, at which point you have to go through MEPS again?

Or at MEPS do I just sign a general service contract of some sort? I think I remember reading (maybe even on these boards) that the stuff signed at MEPS could technically pertain to any branch or service. e.g. I could meet with my Marine Corps recruiter, go to MEPS, take the tests, take the oath, and then go and enlist in the Army. Is that correct?

I'd generally like to be able to declare my preferred OccFlds before taking an oath or signing anything. I know that from there I'll get whatever the Corps needs, but assuming I qualify for the things I've listed, I'd like to have them in my contract before I actually make a committment. Is this impossible in the Marine Corps?

I'd really appreciate some clarification, as everything I've read ends up being contradictory. I had a prepared list of questions for my recruiter, and only thought of this after I had left the office.

I apologize for the length of the read/stream of consciousness. If you haven't read this far, no hard feelings; I should work on being more concise. If you don't have answers to all of the questions, I'd still appreciate at least a more specific rundown of how DEP works as far as what you sign, when you sign it, and what your options are. Feel free to set me straight on anything I've totally butchered.

Thanks guys.

Qwarkeh
01-18-08, 11:06 PM
If you quit during OCS, you will not be able to become a Marine Officer. I don't know about being coming an enlisted Marine after that, but it will suck knowing that you gave up and you most likely will look back and wonder "what if?" My recruiter is taking steps to become an officer right now, and he has told me that it's often better to be enlisted first to see if the Marines is what you really want, then become an officer.

I still have an open contract, and I signed one before I went to MEPS so I don't know enough to help you about your job choices (my recruiter is trying to get me down to the RSS on a later date to pick my MOS). When I did go to MEPS they basically just made me sign a paper saying that I understand what an open contract is. I also think that I was given a possible ship date before I went to MEPS, I'm not sure if it was guaranteed or if it was an estimate. What I can tell you, though, is that you will sign a lot of papers that are for YOUR safety. Like, you understand that discrimination and such isn't allowed, and to give them permission to look over the stuff you signed and other things. And, of course, to enter the DEP program.

DEP is usually used to make yourself more physically fit and to learn some general knowledge. You can stay in it for around a year. During that time you should stay out of freaking trouble. You will most likely ship during a convenient time for you. Remember, if the Marines is something you don't want you can break off your contract with the military. That means that you can say to your recruiter that if you don't get an MOS you want that you can wait for a slot to open up. He may not be too happy with it but oh well... Just remember that if you break the contract off and later down the line you want to enlist again...well, a recruiter may be less likely to spend time on you.

Also, if it isn't on paper, you aren't guaranteed it.

xpaz
01-18-08, 11:39 PM
If you quit during OCS, you will not be able to become a Marine Officer. I don't know about being coming an enlisted Marine after that, but it will suck knowing that you gave up and you most likely will look back and wonder "what if?"

Agreed completely. I'm not one to half-ass anything, and wouldn't want to do it unless I know that I'd be interested in giving it my all and being an Officer.

You will most likely ship during a convenient time for you. Remember, if the Marines is something you don't want you can break off your contract with the military. That means that you can say to your recruiter that if you don't get an MOS you want that you can wait for a slot to open up. He may not be too happy with it but oh well... Just remember that if you break the contract off and later down the line you want to enlist again...well, a recruiter may be less likely to spend time on you.

I really appreciate that sort of clear-cut response. So in DEP you're actually able to decide you don't want to do it at all? I don't have plans to do this, however it is somewhat reassuring that I will at least have some control over the field that I'll be going into as well as the ship date.

When I asked my recruiter about DEP, he asked me for a ballpark estimate of when I'd ideally like to ship out -- I said 6 months because I still wasn't completely sure if it was what I wanted to do or not. He didn't really like this, and suggested that the 6 months might not be "Granted to me" unless it's for a good reason, such as physical conditioning, health issues, etc.

Apparently that was all talk, and I can be in DEP more or less on my own terms? I'm not trying to short-change the Corps or imply that I'm of the "What can the Marines do for me?" mentality.

Again, thanks for that information. I welcome anyone's else thoughts and opinions.

Qwarkeh
01-19-08, 06:29 AM
You can decide to back out on the commitment at any time until you sign the final contract before you ship off to bootcamp. If your recruiter says that you can't do that and you will be arrested for doing so, THAT IS COMPLETELY FALSE. They just don't want to lose you after spending so much time on you. Your recruiter won't be happy, and your recruiter's boss won't he happy, but it is your life. It's better to figure out if you want to do this or not now, compared to figuring out you don't like all of this in bootcamp, or somewhere in the four years.

Well, they normally like you to ship on their own terms because they're busy as all hell. Being a recruiter is one of the hardest jobs a Marine can have. They also want you going as fast as possible because they want you to stay out of trouble. The less time in DEP you have, the less time you have to get in trouble. Trouble sucks, if you get arrested for something, no matter how small, you will go through a lot of work to be able to even be able to ship off. I'm only shipping in late May because I have to finish this semester of college first, that's what I meant about a convienient time. If you have something that's important (such as getting married) then asking for a later time than preferred will go better with your recruiter. If you can pass the IST now then of course your recruiter wants you to ship off soon. Also keep in mind that certain MOS' need specific ship dates.

In short, yes, you do have some control, but things go more smoothly if you go through with your recruiters plan.

Fubar5812
01-19-08, 11:46 AM
do not sign open contract.you'll have no choice in your job field...literally the Marines will pick FOR you.

it is highly unlikely that your top 3 choices will ALL be full,if your signing up reserves it may be more likely because only certain reserve units hold certain MOS's (example where i am they don't have engineers or MP's) i'm active duty and signed a contract for 52xx..this states i understand that i being given a gunarnteed entrance into the MP FIELD,not an EXACT MOS (example,MOS 5211) my exact MOS will be chosen at MP school.

up until you sign the final contract and get on the plane for the bus to bootcamp you can step out at anytime,they'll tell you your going to jail,getting fined,whatever but you have that option UNTIL you sign the final contract.

xpaz
01-19-08, 02:12 PM
Very helpful, both of you. I appreciate the responses!

DemonicOne
01-20-08, 03:23 AM
do not sign open contract.you'll have no choice in your job field...literally the Marines will pick FOR you.

it is highly unlikely that your top 3 choices will ALL be full,if your signing up reserves it may be more likely because only certain reserve units hold certain MOS's (example where i am they don't have engineers or MP's) i'm active duty and signed a contract for 52xx..this states i understand that i being given a gunarnteed entrance into the MP FIELD,not an EXACT MOS (example,MOS 5211) my exact MOS will be chosen at MP school.

up until you sign the final contract and get on the plane for the bus to bootcamp you can step out at anytime,they'll tell you your going to jail,getting fined,whatever but you have that option UNTIL you sign the final contract.

I got my 1st choice. Open contract worked fine for me.

BR34
01-20-08, 08:03 AM
I got my 1st choice. Open contract worked fine for me.

Open contract means you didn't get a choice. It means you shipped to bootcamp without choosing **** related to your MOS.

DemonicOne
01-20-08, 02:02 PM
Open contract means you didn't get a choice. It means you shipped to bootcamp without choosing **** related to your MOS.

Oh, sorry I thought a open contract is when you enlisted without picking a job until a later date.

Qwarkeh
01-20-08, 02:55 PM
Right now I'm under an open contract because my recruiter wanted me to be able to pick my MOS back at the RSS as opposed to MEPS. The open contract can be replaced with one for a specific MOS.