PDA

View Full Version : 4 combat deployments, 2 purple hearts, and no U.S. citizenship

Accord
01-17-08, 09:25 PM
A Marine in my unit came to this country from Mexico about 5 years ago and after becoming a legal resident joined the Marine Corps. Since then he has been deployed on 3 combat tours to Iraq, has 2 purple hearts, and a host of other trash. This Marine is an American hero and he still doesn't have his US citizenship. When I ask him why he hasn't gotten it yet he just tells me he hasn't had time with the crazy training schedule and deployments and his chain of command doesn't seem interested in doing anything about it. We're deploying again in just a few weeks to Afghanistan and this will be my first and his fourth combat deployment.

He has more than paid the price for his citizenship that's for sure and I would love to see him get his citizenship before we deploy. What can he do to get it in this short amount of time before we deploy or is he SOL until we get back?

southernculture
01-17-08, 09:29 PM
I got a guy in my shop that has been in the US since he was 13 and in the military for 3 years. He is going thru the process and it is quite lengthy. Need to contact the legal officer and he can set it all up.

thewookie
01-17-08, 10:21 PM
A Marine in my unit came to this country from Mexico about 5 years ago and after becoming a legal resident joined the Marine Corps. Since then he has been deployed on 3 combat tours to Iraq, has 2 purple hearts, and a host of other trash. This Marine is an American hero and he still doesn't have his US citizenship. When I ask him why he hasn't gotten it yet he just tells me he hasn't had time with the crazy training schedule and deployments and his chain of command doesn't seem interested in doing anything about it. We're deploying again in just a few weeks to Afghanistan and this will be my first and his fourth combat deployment.

He has more than paid the price for his citizenship that's for sure and I would love to see him get his citizenship before we deploy. What can he do to get it in this short amount of time before we deploy or is he SOL until we get back?

This is an interesting question and one that was discussed earlier today on another post because of the unfortunate events involving that young Lance Corporal that was murdered with her unborn baby. This other Marine who murdered her (I don't even want to mention his name) was or is originally from Mexico and look where he's running to when the shiat hits the fan. Back "home" like a coward. His true colors are exposed when the pressure is on. And not to say that the Marine that your talking about above doesn't deserve instant US citizenship for what he's done. Because from what you just said I think he does. But it raises an interesting question across the board about giving up US citizenship for military service. I'm sure the army offers it in one of their incentive packages! But seriously it's a very tough subject. I think if a guy goes to war and gets a CAR or some other relevant criteria then he should get a pass on US citizenship. But to anyone else who's serving but not necessarily a "hero", per say, (and I'm not trying to offend anyone only trying to make a point of clarification) then they should have to go through the same lengthy process that every other immigrant must also.

LeonardLawrence
01-17-08, 10:31 PM

Seems like he needs to be a persistent with his command to get this accomplished. If he isn't willing to pursue it wholeheartedly then no one else will do it for him. Seems like if he starts bending ears with his command now, while everyone is doing paperwork for the deployment, he can get things at least started.

I for one think he has more than earned his right as a citizen and wish him the best of luck in becoming one...

Big Jim
01-17-08, 10:45 PM
(and I'm not trying to offend anyone only trying to make a point of clarification) then they should have to go through the same lengthy process that every other immigrant must also.

I hear ya brother...thanks for that and you know what? I agree with you on that, if they earn their stripes and their citizenship in combat then by all means...give it to them. I know not to single out one race but one person, even if they do come from another country. But what I was saying is that their really should be more strict guidelines for getting citizenship. Or how about even if we shut it down for a while and just frikkin deal with the problems we have?!?! Man, I don't know what needs to be done here except catching the fvck and killing him...and maybe his wife who knew about the whole thing. I'd be satisfied with that....for now....until we find out who else knew about this and covered it up!

yellowwing
01-18-08, 12:17 AM
The gears of bureaucracy turn in their own time. Combat Marine or not, he has to wait his turn.

Minkswhile and thusly, learn from this Marine and stick to him like glue.

LeonardLawrence
01-18-08, 12:20 AM
He has to wait his turn, sure. On the other hand...his turn will never come if he doesn't stand in line.

davblay
01-18-08, 12:53 AM

At this late in the game, I would say, short of a Presidential approval, he will have to wait until he gets back from this tour! I know he is being kept busy, but we always seem to find time to do what we have to do anytime! This is ultimately HIS decision, we (no one) can do the paperwork for him or get the process started for him. He will have to be the one waiting in line!

Now on a personal note! I feel that he should have been given his citizenship on his return from his first tour, if he had wanted it then....this President has done that during this war you know?

But that's just my 2 cents!

Semper Fi

Dave

hawks
01-18-08, 02:01 AM
If you havent noticed, a lot of the Marine Corp is effed up like that. I don't know about non-infantry but infantry, the stupidest possible things that can happen...happen.

LeonardLawrence
01-18-08, 02:05 AM
why he hasn't gotten it yet he just tells me he hasn't had time with the crazy training schedule and deployments and his chain of command doesn't seem interested in doing anything about

The way I read it the Marine needs to do some of his own work and get his needs taken care of. If it is important to him, he will keep it in the forefront of his commands mind, and be allowed to take what time he needs, when possible.