PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Schools

DEPDecker07
01-17-08, 08:24 PM
I was wondering if Marines are allowed to attend specialty schools in other countries. I've heard of foreign soldiers attending American schools and was wondering if this process also worked the other way. Thanks for any answers.

thewookie
01-17-08, 10:43 PM
Anything is possible, the sky is the limit, once you have earned the title.

Accord
01-18-08, 06:14 AM
I was wondering if Marines are allowed to attend specialty schools in other countries. I've heard of foreign soldiers attending American schools and was wondering if this process also worked the other way. Thanks for any answers.
The Marine Corps can't even get all MARSOC Marines through jump school, so what makes you think they're going to send you to any foreign schools?

The most experience you'll get with foreign schools or training is if you ever get the chance to go on a MEU in which case you'll most likely go to Israel, Kuwait, Thailand, Korea, etc. and train with their forces for a couple weeks on a unit level basis. Another example is if you're on Embassy Duty and you do some train with local authorities.

The Marine Corps has it's own schools which are overseas in places like Okinawa, but they're not "foreign" schools from other countries, they're our own schools.

Zulu 36
01-18-08, 06:57 AM

The US Marines and the Royal Marines have an exchange program. Several senior NCOs and (usually) captains and majors will go to England to work with the RM for a couple of years. To stay, they must pass the Royals' commando course. Needless to say, if you are not in tip-top physical shape, you aren't going. Don't expect to even be allowed to apply until you're a Staff NCO.

The Royals also send some of their folks over here to work with the USMC. An RM color sergeant was awarded the UK's second highest medal for valor in Iraq while leading US Marines on a boat patrol, subsequent landing under fire, and fight on-shore. Another, a warrant officer, in the late 1990s, was the OIC of PT instruction at OCS at Quantico.

I also know that at least US Army officers have been (I don't know if they still are) assigned to attend the British Army Staff and Command College.

Other than the lower level courses described by Accord, to see anything fancy you would have to be fairly senior in rank, or in MARSOC (to play with the SAS or SBS).