PDA

View Full Version : France: A Change of heart?

wrbones
04-11-03, 09:18 AM
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/5611039.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Fri, Apr. 11, 2003

Saddam's Ouster Shifts Mood in France
JOCELYN GECKER
Associated Press

PARIS - As jubilant Iraqis dance in the streets of Baghdad, the French have had what appears to be a change of heart.

After months of fighting against the U.S.-led war, the mood in France is shifting to one of cautious support. Not necessarily support for the U.S. government or the war but support for the fall of Saddam Hussein - and subtle applause for the army that toppled him.

French leaders Thursday said they "rejoiced" in the collapse of Saddam's regime, while newspapers praised the United States for its quick work taking Baghdad.

Absent was the criticism that prevailed during France's bitter arguments with the United States and Britain ahead of the war.

"The Americans have won the war - in only three weeks," Le Figaro newspaper wrote in an editorial. "It is a victory for George Bush."

Editorials retained a healthy dose of skepticism, questioning the whereabouts of Saddam's alleged weapons of mass destruction and reminding readers that the great challenge of postwar reconstruction remained ahead.

But political analysts, noting the subtle shift in the media's tone, said people now wondered whether France was right to oppose the war so staunchly.

"The French are discovering the truth - that the coalition was efficient," said Francois Gere, director of the Paris-based Diplomatic and Defense Institute.

Before the fighting, newspapers and politicians said "the United States and Britain would be considered as invaders and the people of Iraq would oppose them," he said.

"Instead we see pictures of Iraqi people celebrating - not only the arrival of British and U.S. forces but celebrating the end of a regime."

His words were echoed by Philippe Moreau Defarges of the French Institute of International Relations.

"We're seeing a subtle shift," Defarges said. "We are starting to hear a more dissonant voice in France. The U.S. victory has made the debate more complex."

In the war's first two weeks, French media went heavy with coverage of Iraqi civilian casualties and scenes of suffering. The weekly news magazine Le Point featured an American soldier on its cover under the headline, "The Tragedy." Le Figaro magazine showed an American soldier trudging through the mud under the question: "Iraq - A New Vietnam?"

On Thursday, media criticism was aimed squarely at the fallen Iraqi leader. Several newspapers and TV news magazines ran lengthy features on the cruelty of Saddam's regime. Le Monde newspaper ran a two-page spread titled: "The dictator who terrorized Iraq."

At Paris bus-stops and cafes, people enthusiastically welcomed Saddam's ouster, but were mixed about the U.S. role.

"For a long time, the Iraqi people needed to revolt against Saddam Hussein - but couldn't do it alone," said Jacques Bidot, waiting for a bus near the Champs-Elysees. He dismissed the TV images of exuberant Iraqis as "a lot of propaganda."

France's government tempered expressions of delight over Saddam's end with renewed calls for the United Nations to have a "central role" in postwar Iraq.

"France, like all democracies, rejoices," said President Jacques Chirac's office in a statement.

"A somber page is turning," Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin added.

France's demands that the U.N. be at the center of rebuilding Iraq appear at odds with statements from the United States suggesting that the world body's role will be limited to supervising humanitarian aid, endorsing a post-conflict administration and making suggestions about the makeup of Iraq's interim authority.

While the French government stopped short of saying so, leading politicians insisted Thursday that France was right to have opposed the war.

"Two weeks ago, everyone was taking their hats off to France," said Alain Juppe, a former prime minister. "Today they're starting to say we were wrong." He added: "We have nothing to regret."

Sgt Sostand
04-11-03, 09:48 AM
its to late for France. France is like a peice of Chicken Sh** in the Rain

GunnyL
04-11-03, 11:00 AM
"France announced today that it plans to ban fireworks at Euro Disney. Reason: Last night's display caused soldiers at a nearby French army garrison to surrender."

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."

Q: What do you call a group of 100,000 Frenchman with their hands in the air?

A: The French army, of course."

Q: How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?

A: Nobody knows. No Frenchman has ever tried.

Q: How do you stop a French tank?

A: By shooting the soldier pushing it.

Q: Why does the new French Navy have glass-bottom boats?

A: So they can see the old French Navy....

Q: How can you recognize a French veteran?

A: Sunburned armpits.

Q: Did you hear about the old French rifles for sale on Ebay?

A: Never been fired, dropped only once.

Q: The French have just ordered a new national flag.

A: It's a white cross on a white background

Q: Where do you find 60 million French jokes?

A: In France.

Q: What's the difference between a Wonderbra and the French World Cup squad?

A: A Wonderbra has decent support and a cup.

Q: Why do the French eat snails?

A: It gives them speedier reactions.

It's no surprise the French won't help us get Saddam Hussein out of Iraq. They didn't help us get Germany out of France, either. Still, it's essential for them to join us in the war against Iraq. They can teach the Iraqis how to surrender.

billyjoechu
04-11-03, 11:12 AM
I think I have a cost affective solution to a couple of our Country money problems. Someone in our government must have the know how to make my suggestion work.
Why is it that Iraq is expected to pay back Russia 50+ billion dollars of old debt? As we all now know, the Iraq government is history. So there debts, and contracts must also be history. How could this not be so?
I don't know of any free lunches in our democracy. Why should there be any in Iraq?
I think the Iraq people should pay for the Iraq war cost, with there oil profits if need be. That includes our VA budget for the year, or years we are there.
And if any Country still owes us for WW2, isn't it about time they pay up?
Semper Fi
Billy Joe

Sparrowhawk
04-11-03, 11:41 AM
It's been hard these pass four weeks, being Patriotic and I abstained in a very American way, but I just want to know...

When can we go back to French kissing?

LOL

Sgt Sostand
04-11-03, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
It's been hard these pass four weeks, being Patriotic and I abstained in a very American way, but I just want to know...

When can we go back to French kissing?

LOL

The Answere to your question is NO! LOL

steve evans
04-11-03, 01:53 PM
Sod the french! They ain't won a war since 1854 (Crimea) And that was only because the British helped the gits!

I'm a Brit. And wish the channel tunnel would collapse with the entire french goverment in it.

Did you see the ammount of French cars on the Iraqi streets?

No wonder they were opposed to the USA and Britain beating the crap out of the Iraqis. I bet there worried sick that we will find a lot of French supplied arms turning up at the close.

Did you see them Roland Missiles at Baghdad airport? (made in France)

I work over in Normandy twice a year painting pictures for this Frog art gallery owner in Honfleur. The Normans hate the french as well!

aye steve evans

SHOOTER1
04-11-03, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by billyjoechu
I think I have a cost affective solution to a couple of our Country money problems. Someone in our government must have the know how to make my suggestion work.
Why is it that Iraq is expected to pay back Russia 50+ billion dollars of old debt? As we all now know, the Iraq government is history. So there debts, and contracts must also be history. How could this not be so?
I don't know of any free lunches in our democracy. Why should there be any in Iraq?
I think the Iraq people should pay for the Iraq war cost, with there oil profits if need be. That includes our VA budget for the year, or years we are there.
And if any Country still owes us for WW2, isn't it about time they pay up?
Semper Fi
Billy Joe By World Laws, its the country that owes the debt,not the government,so yes Iraq will have to pay the frogs,and the Natzis thier graft for selling weapons to use against us. But I do believe no country has ever paid the U.S. back for WW11 , I believe the debts were finally forgivin,course they wearnt going to pay them anyway.:thumbdown