PDA

View Full Version : Pop Tarts their favorite

ladileathrnek
04-11-03, 08:48 AM
Nice to see that the donations are strong. But I am leery about sending Red Cross cash after the 9/11 mess.

RED CROSS REFUSES MORE COMFORT ITEMS FOR TROOPS

Frank J. Murray
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

-----------------------------------------------------------

*****The American Red Cross — swamped by donations from homeland patriots eager to aid troops in Iraq, and doubtful about the gifts' safety — pleaded yesterday for a halt because it sees more generosity than it can ship or store.

"We don't want to disappoint anyone, but before we do any more, we should all think about the security concerns," said American Red Cross Vice President Sue Richter, who directs the organization's Armed Forces Emergency Services.

Instead of accepting more Girl Scout cookies, Bibles, lip balm or sunglasses, the Red Cross instead is emphasizing "emergency communications" through expanded around-the-clock crisis centers that link troops to their homes.

Most families striving to contact a service member send notices about a family death or serious illness, and 12 percent announce births. The centers at Falls Church and Fort Sill, Okla., help others cope with problems, such as the interruption of child care while a parent is overseas.

Miss Richter said security concerns about donations rose even as the agency was overwhelmed by an unexpected outpouring of "quality of life items" from corporations and community campaigns. A four-month supply already is bound for Iraq, including 5,000 phone cards, said Red Cross spokesman Stacey Grissom.

"The message is, 'We need no more.' Additional donations of comfort items will be more of a hindrance than a help," Miss Grissom said.

Cash donations are welcome to offset the $8 million to $10 million extra Armed Forces Emergency Services will spend this year. Among the costs are an expanded communications center, staff increases in the Middle East and emergency financial assistance for military families.

Troop favorites among the goodies already sent are Gatorade and Pop Tarts. "Pop Tarts are the gold standard out there," Marine Maj. Dave Andersen said.

General Mills and ConAgra Foods donated thousands of boxes of microwave popcorn, which was as big a hit as the canned chicken sent by Tyson Foods.

Sunglasses came from Nike, Ray-Ban and Gucci, but Oakleys are favored.

"Oakleys are more practical in the desert because you've got something that wraps around to help keep the sand out," Army Capt. Tracey Golden said.
The Associated Press reported that an Oklahoma woman sent 4,000 lightweight masks to shield soldiers from sandstorms. The manager of an Ohio store plans to ship canned chili for the 5,000 sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz. Chris Bush and 17 other volunteers in Wapakoneta, Ohio, knitted hundreds of coaster-sized prayer squares to let soldiers know they cared.
"I've got it in my left chest pocket ... right over my heart," a soldier wrote in an e-mail to his grandmother.
Unlike the International Committee of the Red Cross, which provides humanitarian aid to all sides and yesterday reported its delegate, Vatche Arslanian, was killed in a Baghdad cross fire, the American Red Cross stands solely with U.S. forces. They wear American military uniforms that bear a red cross.
The concept of too much benevolence surprised some donors, including those who ran community drives only to find no takers at the Red Cross, and a new Defense Department ban on packages sent by strangers.

Jeannette Sanders' garage in Warren, Ohio, remained stacked with boxes of underwear and toiletries, even after she and 30 volunteers mailed 110 boxes to troops. Mrs. Sanders said she began the project after one of two sons in the war zone asked her to use $600 from his account to buy underwear, socks and snacks for soldiers.

"If I have to hire my own jet, I'm going to get this stuff there. To me, they're all my children," Mrs. Sanders said.

"Hold tight, they're all set for now," said Miss Grissom, advising donors to rechannel aid to military families through almost 1,000 Red Cross chapters.

Miss Richter said another way to give was to help troops' families here at home by doing chores, such as mowing lawns.
"It would mean a lot to service members overseas to know their families were cared for," she said.