PDA

View Full Version : My Little Introduction.

Mindgame
01-16-08, 08:34 PM
Ive been lurking, and posting a little here and there. I noticed alot of other poolies get along good with the Marines on this forum. I unfortunetly, havn't, nor will have the time to get to know any of you better. Seeing as I am shipping to Parris Island on the 28th of this month. Its a great site with alot of usefull information, and knowledge. I appreciate the fact thats it's even around to help out poolies such as myself.

Anyways. As I already said. I am leaving for MCRD PI on 20080128. Even though it was only a little more then a month or so ago. The day I joined the DEP seemed as my ship date would take so long to get here. Fortuntly I followed someones advise, and took the time to set up time with all my family, and friends. As it gets closer and closer the time goes by faster and faster. Its amazing how it flew by. The feeling in my stomach right now is amazing. I am very excited to get there. I don't know exactly what to expect, but I know its going to be tough. Very worth it in the end.

This is something I have wanted to do since I was a sophmore in high school. I only wanted to be a Marine at the time, because I knew they where the best. When I graduated. I gave it a little extra time to see if there was anything that would interest me other then the military. Well. Unfortunetly I wasted those 5 years, and finally decided it was time. Now I have matured alot more, and my reasons have changed alot. I want the goal. I have honestly never set a goal for myself. This is my first ever. I want the personal pride, honor, courage, pretty much anything that will better me personally. I have always been a mediocor(sp?) person. I settle for ok. I don't want that anymore. I want to be great, and I believe the Marine Corps will instill that into me. I believe it will make me tougher, mentally, and physicly. I also could use the push to be in better physical condition.

I don't see a bad side to this. Everyone always brings up that we are in a war. I personally know I would probly be scared if/when I get sent. However. I will be trained (Granted I make it through boot, wich I know I have the heart to) and ready when the time comes. Even though some don't understand. I believe it will be an honor to be there. I believe it's my turn to pay back all the men, and women who have died, and faught. I don't think I owe it to my country, because I have paid my way through what little life I have experienced so far. But I am willing to do it for my country, because I believe someone has to, and I can't sit here and say, "not me". My father said those words to me, and it botherd me. He told me it didn't have to be me. I realized if everyone thought that way, where would we be right now?

11 days... and about 2 hours untill I ship... I can not wait until April 25th when I am expected to graduate. I can't recall anything I have ever wanted more then this.

Big Jim
01-16-08, 09:24 PM
Well Bruce...all the patriotism is fine and dandy but you gotta keep it real lil' brother, I mean in the Corps you'll get to know yourself and your own limitations really well and have unbelievable confidience in those capabilites. Thats that knot in your gut you feel, your internal fortitude, thats your body telling you that this is really very possible. Believe me they'll surprise you and if you trust in them, they'll never fail you in any situation throughout life. You also remind me of myself at that young high school age and how much that Marine GySgt. recruiter walked into my high school a lifetime ago and impressed the hell out of everyone. For weeks everyone was talking about him. Thats when I knew I wanted what he had...respect. Little did I know I had to earn it, but I did and I am definitely a changed for the better person for having being a Marine. That's a fact. You'll learn what it takes and how much you have to work to earn that pride, honor and courage...but you wanna know something...? IT'S ALL WORTH IT!!! So, stay motivated and stay focused while in bootcamp!! Keep your mouth shut....listen and learn quickly...you only have 68 training days! You have what it takes my friend, now go prove it!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

DGardner
01-16-08, 09:27 PM
bruce, look out for a recruit Gardner, I'll be seeing ya there!

karstenchu
01-16-08, 09:30 PM
Well put, poolee. Sounds to me like you've got the Eye of the Tiger. Stay hungry and get more family time. You should print out what you wrote here and keep it with you during Boot.

catorojr
01-17-08, 06:35 AM
I'll be shipping same day bro, and I can relate to you about that awesome feeling in my stomach!

Right around the corner!

Mindgame
01-17-08, 12:29 PM
Thanks BigJim. Its not just the Patriatism. Like I said, I also want it for that personal satisfaction. Sure I would like the respect, but honestly. I would rather have it for myself. Knowing I accomplished what I thought wasn't possable two months ago. Thank You for the encouraging words too. I know its going to be tough, and there will be plenty of times when I would just want to quit. I just know I want this to bad to give up.

While I am there. I am sure there will be plenty of times when I would need to pull what I wrote out, and read it. However. I don't think I would be allowed to bring it.

Anyone else shipping out the same day? From the information myt recruiter gave me. Ill be 2nd Bn, Hotel Co, Plt 2024.

FLRULZURSHPSCKS
01-17-08, 03:36 PM
If you want it there you dont have to bring it yourself. Have it printed and ready for someone in your family to mail it to you once you know your address. Then you will still have that motivation there to keep you going when you need it.