PDA

View Full Version : tattoo policy

southernculture
01-16-08, 08:16 PM
Ok so now I am getting frusterated with the new tattoo policy. It really hasnt effected me. I just had to take pictures of em and that was that. I wasnt bothered by that but when I got refused recruiter duty at the screening that I was voulenteering for I got ****ed! So now my career is hurt because I got a full sleave before there was a policy in place???? I am ****ed!

jetdoc
01-16-08, 08:34 PM
I see you're a Winger and a fellow tattooed brother, :thumbup:.....oh and welcome aboard.
Don't know what to say about the policy, they didn't really have one back when I was in.

Artemis
01-16-08, 08:36 PM
I know how you feel. I got out recently but had to take pics of all my tats and i have both my forarms and one on each calf. Its stupid. They are screwing over awesome Marines because of this policy.

hrscowboy
01-16-08, 09:20 PM
No gentlemen the Marine Corps never had a problem with tats until a few went completely over board having full sleeves of tats and tats on the back of the neck completely in full view of the general public. The old saying is one apple soured the rest of the barrel and the Marine Corps changed the policy. You must remember we as Marines are Professionals at what we do and a Marine should not look like a hoodlum with a bunch tats all over his body where everyone can see them..

Haffner
01-16-08, 11:15 PM
We are professionals. We are warriors. Tattoos have been part of warrior culture since the beginning.

Aside from the argument of, "That was then, this is now," I know one thing is for damn sure. Chesty would've said, "Can he shoot well? Is he fit? Is he willing to sacrifice himself for his fellow Marines, his nation...freedom? Then he's good enough for me."

(I was kind've thinking of "It was good for Chesty Puller, so it's good enough for me haha sorry)

But seriously. This tattoo policy IS stopping alot of quality Marines from not just participating in B-billets -- but also picking up rank! Even tattoos that have been grandfathered in since they were on the body before the new tattoo order.

Furthermore, it's also going so far as to block recruiting goals!

I do understand not having tattoos on the neck, back of the hands, knuckles, etc, but none/few showing outside of PT gear? Ridiculous! I've got over 30 hours of tattoo work on my body and I've NEVER met anyone who thought less of me as a Marine or professional for it. Sure, some may think it, but f*ck it. Regardless of how my skin looks, I'll do my job just as well. However, there's no reason I should have to somehow magically peform better than my best to prove I'm just as much of a professional vs. some ****bag who isn't inked.

hrscowboy
01-17-08, 12:43 AM
L/cpl Haffner as i said someone went completely over board with the tats or these policys would not have been ordered. I have a tat and i am dang proud of it but again someone went overboard and the CMC said it wont happen again. The CMC runs the show and if thats what he wants that is what he gets. And trust me L/cpl Haffner there are people out there that think we are a bunch of sick b**tards anyway. But when the sh*t hits the fan WHO THEY GONNA CALL...

LeonardLawrence
01-17-08, 01:51 AM
Maybe I could add a question to this thread.

Are the Naval Hospitals offering Laser treatment? When I was in a Marine could sign up for removal. They had to sign a waiver stating they would not get more and such and the wait was several months. Are they still offering this?

jetdoc
01-17-08, 03:57 PM
No gentlemen the Marine Corps never had a problem with tats until a few went completely over board having full sleeves of tats and tats on the back of the neck completely in full view of the general public. The old saying is one apple soured the rest of the barrel and the Marine Corps changed the policy. You must remember we as Marines are Professionals at what we do and a Marine should not look like a hoodlum with a bunch tats all over his body where everyone can see them..

I dont see how you can draw a parallel between a US Marine with sleeved tattoo's and a hoodlum with sleeved tattoo's. I think Skinheads have shaved or buzzed hair and it seems like lots of Marines have shaved or buzzed hair, does that make them Skinheads?

DOC WEB
01-17-08, 04:10 PM
About the lasering process, the answer is yes you can still get it lasered off in the hospital....i'm sure about the waiver though.

hrscowboy
01-17-08, 05:56 PM
Buttom line gentlemen is dont get the tats because if you do you wont be ONE OF THE FEW..

thewookie
01-17-08, 06:40 PM
I think it sucks that they had to make a policy out of it, and true to form in the Corps,, guys that are supposedly grandfathered-in eventually get black-balled somehow. Sorry to hear you're getting screwed southernculture, but I think they had to make a point here, unfortunately, because some guys take it too far. When you signed the contract you basically gave up your right to your skin, your azz, and everything else the Corps wants. It's pretty simple here folks. I have plenty of tats like the rest of us but mine are all basically hidden unless I'm wearing my banana hammocks and a wife beata. My point, (if you can make one now) is you can get all your warrior culture art and still honor the fact that you are an active duty US Marine and you gave up those "rights" when your azz signed the bottom line.

Get all the sleeves you want when you get out,,, why does it have to take a policy to make Marines realize this? Nothing changes...

Tats are part of "Warrior culture",,, that's some funny shiat, those guys had nothing better to do then get all inked out,,, Marines can make a good argument out of anything,, nice try Haffner.

I guess now in the Corps if you want to be a career Marine and you feel like getting some warrior culture then you can get your whole body done except for the neck up, elbows down, and on the legs not below your PT shorts. That's warrior to me, way mad whoa...

southernculture
01-17-08, 07:00 PM
I have had tats since before I got in. I like getting them and enjoy looking at them. The usmc should not have accepted me if they didnt want tattoos on me. I am a tattooed warrior. I continue to get more. Not where they have now banned. I actually have no sleeve tattoo because no 1 tattoo on my arm touches or takes up more than 1/4 of my arm. My arm is however 90 % covered by tats. I dont see how this interferes with being professional. I have been given 2 nams for my professionalism and esprit de corp. I am devoted to hard work and want to be more competetive THIS year on the ssgt board. I guess I can put that I tried and the usmc sayd F no! Whatever I just dont agree. I also thisnk it is SGTMAJ of USMC that had a vandetta against the tatt'd up Marnes. It just sucks. I wonder if this will effect a package to the mecep program?

Marine84
01-17-08, 07:30 PM
You younguns are killing me! I'm with Hrs & Wookie - the Corps doesn't say NOT to get tattoos just don't get them in places that will make that awesome uniform look tacky.

It's a known fact that tattoos mean nothing to anybody but the body that they're on. I know a book shouldn't be judged by it's cover but, that's the way it is and it's something that has not and will not change. To me, sleeves and stuff on the neck WHILE IN UNIFORM is TACKY (I don't care how AWESOME the artwork may be) and isn't very professional according to the "professional" standards that have been set and taught by society/Marine Corps. I may love them when you're in your jeans but, not in a set of Charlies.

Bottom line is................does a little ole tattoo policy REALLY matter in the grand scheme of things? Is that ALL you have to be concerned about? If you don't like the policy and don't want tattoos to be a reason for your not making a billet - DON'T GET 'EM! When you get out tattoo everything from the crown of your head to the place on the bottom of your foot where you can have someone tattoo "place tag here" and wrap a circle around your big toe.

sparkie
01-17-08, 07:42 PM
I got a tat at age 50, Purchased by my eldest daughter for my birthday, cause it's something I always wanted. An EGA on my upper arm. I will never have another,it is enough for me, cause it Means something.
I think tats now adays mean almost nothing to most. Why get the friggin things? You wanna argue about restrictions? Maybe you need a few. A meaningless tat for a meaningless life. Go for it.

jetdoc
01-17-08, 08:04 PM
It's a known fact that tattoos mean nothing to anybody but the body that they're on

They must mean something to the Corps, and if they don't mean anything to you then why does wearing them make one "takcy"?

I could have an opinion where hairy azzed monkey arms looky "tacky" in uniiform. I know hairy monkey arms are not against USMC policy but they should be. :D Or what if I think that people wearing those goober eye glasses make the uniform look "tacky"? Or ugly people....or short people.....jeez.

Leave the guys grandfathered in alone.

jetdoc
01-17-08, 08:13 PM
I got a tat at age 50, Purchased by my eldest daughter for my birthday, cause it's something I always wanted. An EGA on my upper arm. I will never have another,it is enough for me, cause it Means something.
I think tats now adays mean almost nothing to most. Why get the friggin things? You wanna argue about restrictions? Maybe you need a few. A meaningless tat for a meaningless life. Go for it.

Its amazing that you can make a broad statement like that. Sparky, are you saying that you personally know most of the people in the world getting tattoos AND you also know that they are getting them for $hits and grins only, they mean nothing to most people, as you say.

So what if they don't mean something to the person getting them, its their business, (I'm not just talking about Marines getting tattoos either). WGAF? I'd wager that a lot of folks that get tattoos get them for one reason or another. I do know I have many many many tattoos and some I got for personal reasons, some I got cause I thought they were cool and some I got just cause I wanted to, and all three are reasons to me. :p

sparkie
01-17-08, 08:15 PM
I knew you would chime in, Jetdoc. I wasn't raggin on 'Grandfather, he has a just case. I was on wannabe complainers, I guess. I'm tired of younguns not wantin to answer to Consequences for their actions. Sorry I came on at bad timing, and you know we All love your tats. But you kinda 'earned the right.

jetdoc
01-17-08, 08:29 PM
I knew you would chime in, Jetdoc. I wasn't raggin on 'Grandfather, he has a just case. I was on wannabe complainers, I guess. I'm tired of younguns not wantin to answer to Consequences for their actions. Sorry I came on at bad timing, and you know we All love your tats. But you kinda 'earned the right.

Its not like that Sparkie, I knew what you were talking about.....I"m not even in, so Im relating it to the civy world mostly, :beer: ....brother.

sparkie
01-17-08, 08:31 PM
I guess, Doc, I live in Vegas, and when I see a 14 yr old with barbed wire around her neck and ankles, I don't know whether to gag or laugh. It's just me, Bro.

southernculture
01-17-08, 09:18 PM

so being an active marine that has tattoos from proir to the "BAN" makes me a young gun? I say whatever man. I see marines that are overweight and dont represent the marine corp allowed to be recruiters but I am a 285 pfter it good shape. Pt all the time and represent and image that I think the usmc wants. In my charlie uniform I look damn good. I understand that they changed the policy but grandfathererd should be grandfathered and not, blackballed from certain assignments. Your opinion is that tattoos are tacky and that is not why there is a ban on them now. They are banned to present a positive immage of the marine corp. I think over time the issue will die but I dont think this should effect marines that are Pre ban tattoo wearers.

southernculture
01-17-08, 09:46 PM
And another thing. This helps push the USMC in that kinder and gentler, "lets just hug it out" direction that our country is moving in. Tattoos were made popular by marines and sailors. So lets just move away from that image that so many look at marines. In my opinion it moves the USMC in a negative direction. In another 10 years where are we gonna be? Incentive PT/ getting knocked on the head has gone out the window, now we just councel youngsters. Not many junior troops give a damn. Tradition is going out the window. I am sorry that you didnt/dont participate in the tradition of getting tattoo's but It is renown and DOESNT look tacky. I wear my tattoos proudly. AND yes mine do have meaning. Every last one. Including my bald eagle holding us and confederate flags. MY USMC on my arm. to name a few. I am not gonna go down my list and justify the meaning of all of my tattoos. I am a proud marine SGT and used to love the USMC but it seems like it changes for the worse every year longer I stay in.

Marine84
01-17-08, 09:58 PM
They must mean something to the Corps, and if they don't mean anything to you then why does wearing them make one "takcy"?

I could have an opinion where hairy azzed monkey arms looky "tacky" in uniiform. I know hairy monkey arms are not against USMC policy but they should be. :D Or what if I think that people wearing those goober eye glasses make the uniform look "tacky"? Or ugly people....or short people.....jeez.

Leave the guys grandfathered in alone.

The Corps wouldn't have really give a fat baby's a$$ about it either until somebody pushed the issue and made them. Your tatts look good on you in that muscle shirt - you don't have to sport Charlies. None of us are arguing the point of whether it's right or wrong - Marines SHOULDN'T be judged by their tatts but they are. For the ones that don't like it, get out. I agree, the ones grandfathered in SHOULD be left alone but, they aren't. Is a fight over a tattoo worth it - depends on whether you want to show the Corps that you will do as you please.

Whomever has any say in whether he got this billet he's going after or not may have not liked his tatts OR thought they were professional or not.

Hell, I have tattoos too but, they can't be seen in Charlies.

thewookie
01-17-08, 09:58 PM
I have a good friend of mine that got BFD tattooed under his lip in the Philippines,,, when he flips his lip down it reads BFD

Big Faulking Deal

Marine84
01-17-08, 10:03 PM
so being an active marine that has tattoos from proir to the "BAN" makes me a young gun?

No sweetie - being 25 makes you a "youngun" not a "young gun" - 2 different things. And, compared to some of us - with all due respect you are a youngun. ;)

LeonardLawrence
01-17-08, 10:38 PM
About the lasering process, the answer is yes you can still get it lasered off in the hospital....i'm sure about the waiver though.

Thanks Doc. (Nice to see the Corpsman posting on here!):)

LeonardLawrence
01-17-08, 10:40 PM
And another thing. This helps push the USMC in that kinder and gentler, "lets just hug it out" direction that our country is moving in. Tattoos were made popular by marines and sailors. So lets just move away from that image that so many look at marines. In my opinion it moves the USMC in a negative direction. In another 10 years where are we gonna be? Incentive PT/ getting knocked on the head has gone out the window, now we just councel youngsters. Not many junior troops give a damn. Tradition is going out the window. I am sorry that you didnt/dont participate in the tradition of getting tattoo's but It is renown and DOESNT look tacky. I wear my tattoos proudly. AND yes mine do have meaning. Every last one. Including my bald eagle holding us and confederate flags. MY USMC on my arm. to name a few. I am not gonna go down my list and justify the meaning of all of my tattoos. I am a proud marine SGT and used to love the USMC but it seems like it changes for the worse every year longer I stay in.

southernculture.

You posted some revealing information here. Is it possible your Confederate flag is the cause for some of the issue? I know what it represents to you, but what is going to represent to some 20 year old kid from the streets of New York. Just a thought....

I know there was something specifically in the policy regarding this and gang tattoos, but I haven't looked at it in a long time, so I don't recall...

Artemis
01-18-08, 11:53 AM
I can understand not having tattoos that show in charlies for B-billets but PT gear, come on how many of us wear PT gear wear the civis can see us anyway. I think that the old order was fine the way it was but I can't change it so just roll with the flow. I bet it'll die down soon enough anyway.

Artemis
01-18-08, 11:55 AM
<tt>This is all it says about what you were talking about LeonardLawrence

TATTOOS OR BRANDS THAT ARE PREJUDICIAL TO GOOD ORDER, DISCIPLINE AND </tt>
<tt>MORALE, OR ARE OF A NATURE TO BRING DISCREDIT UPON THE MARINE CORPS ARE </tt>
<tt>ALSO PROHIBITED. PREJUDICIAL TO GOOD ORDER, DISCIPLINE AND MORALE, OR </tt>
<tt>ARE OF A NATURE TO BRING DISCREDIT UPON THE MARINE CORPS MAY INCLUDE, </tt>
<tt>BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, ANY TATTOO THAT IS SEXIST, RACIST, VULGAR, </tt>
<tt>ANTI-AMERICAN, ANTI-SOCIAL, GANG RELATED, OR EXTREMIST GROUP OR </tt>
<tt>ORGANIZATION RELATED."</tt>

jetdoc
01-18-08, 01:40 PM
The Corps wouldn't have really give a fat baby's a$$ about it either until somebody pushed the issue and made them. Your tatts look good on you in that muscle shirt - you don't have to sport Charlies. None of us are arguing the point of whether it's right or wrong - Marines SHOULDN'T be judged by their tatts but they are. For the ones that don't like it, get out. I agree, the ones grandfathered in SHOULD be left alone but, they aren't. Is a fight over a tattoo worth it - depends on whether you want to show the Corps that you will do as you please.

Whomever has any say in whether he got this billet he's going after or not may have not liked his tatts OR thought they were professional or not.

Hell, I have tattoos too but, they can't be seen in Charlies.

I know I've seen your hidden ones, NICE, hahah. (was I supposed to not say that out loud Kim?).

David Jameson
01-18-08, 02:16 PM
I think HQMC are the ones that went overboard on this .Those people need to get out of town.This is going to slow recruiting in general and lock out good Marines to the special duty billets that HQMC is all hugy/kissy about when Staff/NCO boards meet.they won't give a **** about any granddaddy clause.

jetdoc
01-18-08, 02:33 PM
I think HQMC are the ones that went overboard on this .Those people need to get out of town.This is going to slow recruiting in general and lock out good Marines to the special duty billets that HQMC is all hugy/kissy about when Staff/NCO boards meet.they won't give a **** about any granddaddy clause.

Its ironic the Army is going the opposite way from what I've read, they allow neck and hand tattoo's if they are not gang affiliated.

I'm not saying that the Marines should go to that extreme but come on man.

Phantom Blooper
01-18-08, 02:57 PM
Ok so now I am getting frusterated with the new tattoo policy. It really hasnt effected me.

If it hasn't really effected you.....WHAT are YOU pizzed off about?

:evilgrin:

hrscowboy
01-18-08, 03:03 PM
Fuk the Army they aint nothin but a bunch of non hackers anyway, I dont know how many times Our Beloved Marines Corps pulled them out of the heat of battle in Vietnam.. And for you Cry babys that are crying about the tattoo policy get the hello out of My Marine Corps.. Either due what your told or hit the road we dont need a bunch a Whiney arses telling us how to run the Corps. The Marine Corps has survived well over 200 years with out the whiney arses and we will survive again another 200 years..

Haffner
01-18-08, 04:33 PM
I think this is going in the extreme wrong direction.

As far as the whiney babies comment -- every Marine here has *****ed and moaned about the Corps in their time. If you say otherwise, you're a damn liar. Whether it be, "Man, that new SSgt. is being ridiculous. He's ****in' us up from the first day he comes here, not having known us, just to prove some territorial dominance."

You ALL did it. Everyone DOES it. Venting out your frustration is healthy. It smoothes your ruffles and helps you keep goin'.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with their problems. Alot of people try and vent 'em out on the internet nowadays. It's physically non-confrontational and it helps. If you have a problem with it, why are you still reading this post and ammending it?

I'm not trying to sound like a pussy by saying all of that or inspire ill feelings, however, if you can tell me you never had somethin' that you just wanted to ***** about (Corps related or not) 'cuz you didn't know how to deal with it any other way...

you're full of ****.

Semper Fi

Sorry if I'm ****in' you all off for saying what I want to say, but ****, man, it's a damn forum board.

usmcmom06
01-18-08, 04:53 PM
I just want to say as a PMM, I support what each of you have to say. After all, it's how you feel, right? There are probably as many opinions, facts and lies and BS as they are people in this world, no doubt. But all you Marines sure earned my respect and deep appreciation. Semper Fi.

sparkie
01-18-08, 04:59 PM
Opinions, Facts, Lies, BS,,,,,,,,,Yep, thats us. Welcome Aboard Mom06.

usmcmom06
01-18-08, 05:10 PM
Forgive me......I think I posted on the wrong 'site/section'. I have much to learn on this site regarding navigation. I apologize if I answered out of 'invite'. I very much would like to say (post) one more thing here, please. This is mainly for my Marine son who will probably never see this message: "As a Marine who lives up to the Marine Corps Core Values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment, it is time to contact your Mom and other family members and do the right thing. The path of Honor you walk (and I'm so proud of) must include us." Miss you & Happy "19" Birthday. Mom~ Oohrah!

jetdoc
01-18-08, 05:18 PM
Dave, of course everyone here has Pi$$ed and moanded about rules in the Marine Corps, the difference is its WRONG to THEM when its something that has not pi$$ed them off or affected them personally, (or thats how some people seem to think).

Casting stones from a glass house...

Haffner
01-18-08, 05:33 PM
I think that is exactly what I wanted to say in less words, Jetdoc. Thank you.

kbs95125
01-18-08, 06:57 PM
The only thing I'm worried about personally is when and if I choose to reup, I was a waiver for my tattoos from the start, and I know plenty of Marines who have been denied continuing there career whose tattoos weren't over the line or full sleeves because of the new policy.

Although I do agree that a full sleeve may not be appropriate for uniform (not because I think it looks bad but because some people just have really bad taste in art haha), it shouldn't make or break Marines who have BTDT or disqualify them from anything. Yes, the standards before where probably too lax and a few Marines took it over the top, but throwing in an extreme policy isn't going to help either because a few good Marines ARE going to choose tattoos over the Corps, not because they don't want to serve anymore but because they feel the policy is hurting the Corps by limiting good Marines. I believe that in order for Marines to uphold a professional image maybe tattooed Marines should be given a little more credit where credit is due and be allowed to prove that, with a policy a little less strict then the one in place now, we can still show the public that, although they may not "need" us, they still WANT us.

It's one thing to look professional, its another thing to do both. By setting this example that tattoos are still taboo (which in the civilian world is becoming less common) I believe we are putting up a boundary that generations to come will NOT like. My Senior Drill Instructor told my platoon this in boot camp : "I'm not only here to make you into Marines, but better civilians." Well I believe the first step in doing that is showing the general public that its more then an image behind professionalism and bettering yourself.

If one tattooed Marine can uphold a higher standard of conduct, and that leads one tattooed civilian to uphold a higher standard of conduct and the cycle continues, eventually we'll all hold hands in the good ol' US of A and stop judging one another because of how we look and become one big happy freakin family or some crap.

southernculture
01-18-08, 07:02 PM
1st off my rebel flag is not visible in any uniform as to be careful not to offend the truely ignorent people that dont under the true meaning of the stars and bars. 2nd the guy saying all marines have *****ed and complained is spot on. Ever hear the saying a complaining marine is a happy marine. I guess I dont understand why old retired marines that didnt have to be under the scrutiny of the new tattoo policy are even posting that the "YOUNGGUN" marines are just being whiners and should shut up or get out. I was really more intersted in hearing what current active duty marines felt about it because it is all that are effected. The new policy doesnt effect the salty old vietnam vet that during his combat tours used illegal drugs, where current marines cant do drugs cant get tattoos where they show in uniform cut their hair weekly and follow strict ROE. I am not trying to dog on vietnam era marines but the corps is so much different now than it was then. Come on, y'all were allowed so many more personal rights that they are cutting from us now. I think we should go back to old ways. That is the direction I think the corp should move in. I intend to stay in long enough to make a difference and change it! In a year and a half I am gonna re enlist a 2nd time And continue to push issues on my level!:flag: SEMPER FI!

yellowwing
01-18-08, 07:53 PM
I think this is going in the extreme wrong direction.

As far as the whiney babies comment -- every Marine here has *****ed and moaned about the Corps in their time. If you say otherwise, you're a damn liar. Whether it be, "Man, that new SSgt. is being ridiculous. He's ****in' us up from the first day he comes here, not having known us, just to prove some territorial dominance."

You ALL did it. Everyone DOES it. Venting out your frustration is healthy. It smoothes your ruffles and helps you keep goin'.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with their problems. Alot of people try and vent 'em out on the internet nowadays. It's physically non-confrontational and it helps. If you have a problem with it, why are you still reading this post and ammending it?

I'm not trying to sound like a pussy by saying all of that or inspire ill feelings, however, if you can tell me you never had somethin' that you just wanted to ***** about (Corps related or not) 'cuz you didn't know how to deal with it any other way...

you're full of ****.

Semper Fi

Sorry if I'm ****in' you all off for saying what I want to say, but ****, man, it's a damn forum board.
Whoa! Someone surely ****d in your corn flakes.

greensideout
01-18-08, 08:04 PM
1st off my rebel flag is not visible in any uniform as to be careful not to offend the truely ignorent people that dont under the true meaning of the stars and bars. 2nd the guy saying all marines have *****ed and complained is spot on. Ever hear the saying a complaining marine is a happy marine. I guess I dont understand why old retired marines that didnt have to be under the scrutiny of the new tattoo policy are even posting that the "YOUNGGUN" marines are just being whiners and should shut up or get out. I was really more intersted in hearing what current active duty marines felt about it because it is all that are effected. The new policy doesnt effect the salty old vietnam vet that during his combat tours used illegal drugs, where current marines cant do drugs cant get tattoos where they show in uniform cut their hair weekly and follow strict ROE. I am not trying to dog on vietnam era marines but the corps is so much different now than it was then. Come on, y'all were allowed so many more personal rights that they are cutting from us now. I think we should go back to old ways. That is the direction I think the corp should move in. I intend to stay in long enough to make a difference and change it! In a year and a half I am gonna re enlist a 2nd time And continue to push issues on my level!:flag: SEMPER FI!

Opps for you! I'm a Vietnam vet that never used drugs! Opps again for you---I have a tattoo but yes we did have rules! And yes I cut my hair once a week, had to follow the ROE, etc, etc, etc!!! Understand that you are not the first Marine to serve! You view yourself as a "Younggun" and I guess that I'm one of the "old salts", but remember this---we are all of the same brotherhood, so knock the **** and moan off. Semper Fi

Wyoming
01-18-08, 08:32 PM
Opps for you! I'm a Vietnam vet that never used drugs! Opps again for you---I have a tattoo but yes we did have rules! And yes I cut my hair once a week, had to follow the ROE, etc, etc, etc!!! Understand that you are not the first Marine to serve! You view yourself as a "Younggun" and I guess that I'm one of the "old salts", but remember this---we are all of the same brotherhood, so knock the **** and moan off. Semper Fi

Look, Sack, I didn't do drugs, cut my hair, and all the other stuff.

By the way, I am a VietNam Veteran Marine. (notice the capitalization?)

Haffner
01-18-08, 08:47 PM
Yes, yellowwing, someone did.

I'm sorry if I do sound like I'm whining and ****. If that's what y'all think, so be it.

I guess this is a generation that wants to be looked at more for who they are and how they perform versus how they look.

Personally, even after I am done being an active Marine, I will still never get a tattoo in an area such as the neck, hands, etc etc. That is pushing the limits in any situation to me, however, within certain bounds, I just respect people who aren't afraid to look how they want to.

I completely understand the rules and regulations my beloved Corps has set for me, and I will abide by them not just because I have to, but because I want to. I'd like to be the best Marine I can be.

I just personally have the opinion that my tattoos, that are within good taste, visible in PT gear/chucks or not, don't get in the way of my abilities.

Sorry for any irrationality in my postings or rage, but I needed to let it out. Thank you for reading and your responses.

jetdoc
01-18-08, 08:58 PM
Wow, we got some $hit slinging going on here, lol....Southern, I am neither a Vietnam vet nor active duty, I'm a "tweener" I suppose.

I know it seems to you that we had more "rights" in prior years...maybe we did I'm not sure. Back in my day there really wasn't too many guys with sleeves, although I knew several that had many many tats exposed on their arms in Charlies and it wasn't an issue. They didn't touch, and I'm not sure if the word sleeved tattoos even existed? I had several on my forearms, not an issue.

I do know there were some getting high fools though, back when I was in. Pot was as common as beer in our barracks, and all the other barracks I had buddies in. This was before random drug testing however...before Regan got in office and started to change the world, (not for the better in some ways, IMO).

But I digress.......it seems we all have our opinions on tattoos and what makes the word "tacky" come into play while in uniform.

The only opinion that really counts, however, is USMC policy, even if they've changed it in mid stroke, you can't do jack about it. Even if some Marines are grandfathered in and they use it against you, its how the Corps is. Its not going to change for you or me, you have to change for the Corps. Thats why I only did about 8 years, too many rules, and tired of the Corps owning my @ss. I love the Marines but I found myself not fitting in anylonger, so I got out.

Thats all you can do, they own your @ss, so either follow the rules or get out cause you ain't going to change the way the Corps is, for sure, lol.

greensideout
01-18-08, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the cover Big Al. I guess that I'm getting soft with my words. You're right, fuk anyone that thinks a Vietnam Vet is less of a Marine. What the heII is this sh*tbird thinking?

USMC2076
01-18-08, 09:39 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with the young guys on this one. A Marine is not afraid to tell someone when a policy is wrong. HQMC was wrong here.

The "kinder-gentler" Marine Corps is not what this Country needs IMO.

I know plenty of outstanding Marines that had plenty of tats, including those that would fall under the current ban. It would be the Marine Corp's loss to deny otherwise outstanding Marines a billet or to have them not re-enlist due to the tattoo policy.

That said, I have only one visible tattoo on my forearm. The rest are covered when wearing a shirt. The civilian world stills frowns on full sleeves & neck tattoos in a professional setting.

southernculture
01-18-08, 09:40 PM
I really wasnt trying to INSULT period. I joined the USMC because of herritage. End of story. We are a proud brotherhood. I just dont understand why I have tattoos and 3 years ago with the same tattoos I have now I could have been a recruiter or DI but now I am not allowed to do so. This really seems unfair that a tattoo that I got before there was a rule on tattoo's can effect a billet that I want, but can no longer get. Can any other tell me how that is the way of the USMC. I have consistanly been a strong marine and now this policy make me a sub-standard marine because I am part of the tattooed pieces of poop marine corp. I have had other SGT's tell me that they will take photos for me to try to get me into "b" billets. That is so messed up. I lead that is the way, But the USMC is taking my leadership away from me because I have tats. Should I be embarassed because I have tats, should I not lead?

greensideout
01-18-08, 09:51 PM
I really wasnt trying to INSULT period. I joined the USMC because of herritage. End of story. We are a proud brotherhood. I just dont understand why I have tattoos and 3 years ago with the same tattoos I have now I could have been a recruiter or DI but now I am not allowed to do so. This really seems unfair that a tattoo that I got before there was a rule on tattoo's can effect a billet that I want, but can no longer get. Can any other tell me how that is the way of the USMC. I have consistanly been a strong marine and now this policy make me a sub-standard marine because I am part of the tattooed pieces of poop marine corp. I have had other SGT's tell me that they will take photos for me to try to get me into "b" billets. That is so messed up. I lead that is the way, But the USMC is taking my leadership away from me because I have tats. Should I be embarassed because I have tats, should I not lead?

It's all about choices---in the Corps or out---you must decide what is important to you. If it's tats, then there ya go.

southernculture
01-18-08, 10:16 PM
I am not out I am sure there are pleanty o marines that disagree with policy and IN they stay I aint baggin on VIETNAM marines. I come from a line of them In my bloodline and so proud of them. Why it made me not even think 2 times bout sayin I do solemnyl sware. BUT NOW I AM WHAT IS GONNA BE THE NORM AND I WILL CONTINUE TO STAND ON MY PEDISTOOL AND SAY I AM A BETTER MARINE THAN THE THOSE THAT I FGOLLOW AND I DO PAY HOMMAGE TO THOSE THAT DIED WEARING THE EGA. I am so proud that I may grace the same battiefields as Bellawoods or DE Nang. My Brothers togother we served, correct? Shouldnt we stand united? I am not allowed to lead because of tattoos? COMETHE****ON!!!!!!!! that should be on the usmc reading list!!!!!! I love the corp and wanna change it back to how I have read about. To how I thought it was when I joined. To how I saw it was. I wanna get my ARSE kicked when I screw up. I wanna show u that u screwed up. I dont wanna councel u and tell u bad boy. We have too much pride for that! Or maybe Just I do and I should get out. I love the Corps! I have never been given such an outlet to be me! They love all EXCEPT the tats. WTF. praise my harshness untill it presents itself in black ink on my arm! Come on HQMC get with it!

southernculture
01-18-08, 10:21 PM
if you understand what I was trying to say understand I have been drinking for a while, but what I say is from my heart!!!!!! I am a very rpoud Marine Sgt and want the USMC to be a select few of the countries finest that are willing to give what it takes to be part of the few, the proud...

thewookie
01-19-08, 08:09 AM
Hey man, it is what it is. You're not going to change the Corps. You either follow the rules or you get out and someone else will fill your spot. The Corps has been surviving for over 200 years with the same sh*t going on. Some guys moan and groan too much, or they just get tired of it after their time is up they simply get out. But others can deal with it and they find a way to work around the BS and end up doing 20 or 30 years, amazing isn't it?

The policy was put in place for a reason, because sometimes Marines can be so stupid and pig-headed that they force the policy makers to make stupid rules to protect the honor and heritage of those who paved the path. We are Marines, and the reason, one of the reasons why we are kept in such high regard is because we have rules that may not always be agreeable to you and I, but they keep our honor clean. So, suck it up and deal with it or get out. But don't disrespect those who came before you. The reason why you're better is becuase THEY gave you the opportunity, they sometimes failed so you can succeed. Just like your failures are going to make your successors better then you. It's life man, and the policy sucks but it is what it is. Semper Fi

USMC2076
01-19-08, 10:40 AM
The policy was put in place for a reason, because sometimes Marines can be so stupid and pig-headed that they force the policy makers to make stupid rules to protect the honor and heritage of those who paved the path.

The CMC also placed a no marriage policy in effect when I was in. It was sometime around 1992-1993 I believe. It basically stated that E-3 and below Marines could NOT get married without permission.

That policy was wrong & ended up being thrown out.

This tattoo policy is wrong & should be thrown out.

Sometimes HQMC makes mistakes. It is part of our job as NCO's to represent the troops & through our Chain of Command make sure a blatantly discriminatory policy is s**t-canned.

hrscowboy
01-19-08, 11:24 AM
In the 60s i can remember alot of BS that alot of us didnt like but it didnt do any good to ***** because thats the way it was.. I seen Marines actually Court Marshaled because they got tattoos and...

jinelson
01-19-08, 11:58 AM
Thats the way it was back then Tom lots of fun and games stateside. I also remember the amount of complaining that we did back then and how it was considered that the more complaining there was the higher the moral was. "A *****ing Marine is a happy Marine".

Jim

Wyoming
01-19-08, 12:09 PM
and - <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Yeah, what they said!!!! <br />
<br />
Now, this is 4 pages long. Jeez, get a life.:beer:

LeonardLawrence
01-19-08, 12:14 PM
<TT>This is all it says about what you were talking about LeonardLawrence

TATTOOS OR BRANDS THAT ARE PREJUDICIAL TO GOOD ORDER, DISCIPLINE AND </TT>
<TT>MORALE, OR ARE OF A NATURE TO BRING DISCREDIT UPON THE MARINE CORPS ARE </TT>
<TT>ALSO PROHIBITED. PREJUDICIAL TO GOOD ORDER, DISCIPLINE AND MORALE, OR </TT>
<TT>ARE OF A NATURE TO BRING DISCREDIT UPON THE MARINE CORPS MAY INCLUDE, </TT>
<TT>BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, ANY TATTOO THAT IS SEXIST, RACIST, VULGAR, </TT>
<TT>ANTI-AMERICAN, ANTI-SOCIAL, GANG RELATED, OR EXTREMIST GROUP OR </TT>
<TT>ORGANIZATION RELATED."</TT>

Thanks Cpl Nelly.

I thought I saw some "guidance" somewhere on Confederate art when the policy came out. I guess there is some interpretation there.

In other posts, to other posters:
I doubt we have any Vietnam Vets on here with that background. Sure we have heard the stories, but it was a different time and situation, which I think is more of a Hollywood legend then fact. I stand back to back with any of our V/Vets on here to kick some ass!

I understand the complaint all too well. I have a forearm tat that I am in the process of removing to reach my goals. Policy sucks....but those are the rules, so you have to live by them. The policy may be bull**** and I remember our Top in SOI with dragons covering about 80% of his body, running around in UDT shorts, but it is what it is.

You love the Corps or the ink, for me the decision is easy....