PDA

View Full Version : Marine takes leadership to new frontlines

thedrifter
01-16-08, 07:44 PM
MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. -- Throughout the history of the Marine Corps, one concept has always remained the same. The effect of Inspirational Leadership. From the Battle of Derna, to the first shots fired on the sands of Iraq, inspirational leadership has always kept Marines on top and winning battles.

Yet, winning battles on the frontlines of war is not the only mission important to Marines. The use of inspirational leadership to play a positive role in the surrounding communities that support our Marines and Sailors is a mission just as important as winning battles.

Cpl. Vanessa Lopez, the training noncommisisioned officer for Engineer Maintenance Company, 2nd Maintenance Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, has taken this mission head-on with enthusiasm.

Lopez, currently participating in the Corporal’s Leadership Course at Camp Geiger, N.C., enjoys using the leadership styles that she has learned to positively influence those people in her life, both as a Marine and a citizen of the local community of Jacksonville, N.C.

She currently finds herself mentoring fellow Marines daily in her duties as training NCO for a company of more than 100 Marines. But just as importantly, she currently mentors a young 14-year-old girl in the community through her involvement in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program.

“It’s very important that a person her age have a positive influence during these years,” Lopez said. “If she sees that she has someone besides her parents to fall on, she will know that she has the support to do better. If someone supports her and encourages her to do good now, it will make her want to be a better person and reach her goals.”

Lopez has played a positive role in her surrounding communities since before she joined the Corps in 2003. She grew up in an area of Detroit known for trouble and imposing bad influences on young ones. Through the help of her older sister, Lopez was able to prevail.

“I did not have much in Detroit,” Lopez explained. “The communities and neighborhoods were not great. Having the support of my older sister made me who I am today. She could relate to everything I was going through because she had already been through it. She made me strong and she was always there for me.”

Through the guidance of her older sister, Lopez found success. She became involved with various sports programs, school clubs and other extracurricular activities that she felt helped push her in a good direction for the future.

“While in high school, I dedicated myself to several after school activities and sports programs,” Lopez said. “I was involved in varsity (softball, tennis and volleyball) throughout my four years.

Her school activities consisted of Students Against Drunk Driving, Student Government, Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps and coaching tee-ball and basketball at the local recreation center.

According to Lopez, the support of her older sister was a key factor to her success. Lopez decided that she wanted to make a difference in other people’s lives, much as her sister did for her. It was the same motivation that directed her to the Corps.

Shortly after joining, Lopez was placed in the position to mentor fellow Marines on a daily basis. In addition to her role as a mentor to young Marines, Lopez became actively involved in the community.

While serving in Okinawa, Japan, she visited children at a local orphanage monthly and creating a pen-pal program with local schools, which involved the participation of more than 100 Marines. These activities led her to meet her “little sister”, whom she was introduced to in May of last year.

“She has grown a lot since I became her big sister,” Lopez said. “(When I first met her) she was in trouble. Then her grades started to go up, she started playing sports and overall, she improved. To be able to say that I made a difference in her life is the reason I joined the program.

Chief Warrant Officer 2 Lee Locke, Lopez’s commanding officer, and GySgt. Justin J. Fiedler, her company gunnery sergeant, have expressed great pride in what Lopez has done for the community in the past, and her progress into the future.

“It’s outstanding that Cpl. Lopez is doing this,” Locke explained. “It’s a great thing. Not every Marine can give back to the outside community due to the work involved (on base). The fact that she finds the time to do things outside of her work schedule puts her one step above others.”

“Having a good influence during the teenage years is a huge importance,” Fiedler said. “To have someone to look up to who has the characteristics and values that society needs is imperative. (Cpl. Lopez) has done a great job.”

Lopez is proud of the efforts she has made to make her community better and mentor it’s youth. As she pushes forward, she has no doubts that she will continue to be a big presence among future communities she may encounter.

“It is the little things that matter and I believe this to be true,” Lopez said. “I do things to better myself, but it is the help of others that has truly made me successful. I made it out of one of the worst neighborhoods because I had positive people in my life giving me a helping hand.”