PDA

View Full Version : Great knife deals

cake96861
01-16-08, 06:48 PM
Benchmade and Microtech both have some great deals that they do directly with the consumer. I just got a Benchmade Heckler and Koch out the side automatic for less then 100.00, it retails for 150 something. With Benchmade you have to scan or fax in your ID so they know you military. Microtech also does a mil discount too. Just a heads up if you're into knives.

DOC WEB
01-16-08, 08:22 PM
Do you just have to go to the website....is there a link or something?

Osotogary
01-16-08, 08:35 PM
DOC WEB-
I got curious as well about a website, website link, etc.
I did a Google search and typed Benchmade Heckler and Koch and came up with this link.
http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_list.aspx?category=27
There were other websites that highlited this knife but, what the hay, why not go directly to the source?
Adios, for now.
Gary

gwladgarwr
01-17-08, 12:24 AM
Just be careful about faxing or sending scanned versions of your DoD IDs - I wouldn't do it to save I don't care how much of a discount I got.

They can call my C.O. if they cared so much about verifying me - I'm not sending my trash out over a fax or the internet just to save a few bucks.

If you have to prove you're a Marine to get a discount, it's not worth the risk. Trust your instincts.

Sgt gw:evilgrin:

cake96861
01-17-08, 05:13 AM
Ya the fax I'd be a little wary of, I just scanned mine and emailed it...

jrhd97
01-17-08, 10:23 AM
I'd be wary of scanning and e-mailing also. As quoted by someone who worked for the NSA, " there is no such thing as a secure transmission". If you want to get a deal on a knife, go to a gun show. Most dealers, us included, give military and public service discounts.

DOC WEB
01-17-08, 10:28 AM
You know that's what I was thinkin.......isn't faxing a copy of your ID and emailing it the same thing.....its still a piece of paper with your ID on it.

Man I haven't been to a gun show since I joined; and it doesn't help that I'm out in california either.

ggyoung
01-17-08, 10:55 AM
Want to see some very,very good knives? Go Here www.johnyoungknives.com/

DOC WEB
01-17-08, 10:59 AM
Have you bought any knives from this guy or did you just like the looks of them on the website?

jrhd97
01-17-08, 11:02 AM
Being custom made, I know they will be expensive. Especially when his site directs you to call for prices.

thewookie
01-17-08, 11:08 AM
I have the same Spyderco knife that I've had since I was in and it's great, the price can't be beat either. I traded for it with some "extra" gear at London Bridge Trading Co in VA Beach. I don't abuse the blade but it's been used for everything to include picking my teeth, but only when I'm in a real fancy restaurant because chicks really love that...

jrhd97
01-17-08, 11:09 AM
I bought a custom made from a guy named Bill Maynard down in Fayettville NC. It's been an excellent knife. He makes a line special for military and got named in a trade magazine article for combat knifes. Mine is for skinning.

DOC WEB
01-17-08, 11:11 AM
Ya I agree, but there is nothing like an awesome knife that you can depend on, works in every situation, and keeps an edge.

I paid like 700 bucks for a 2 1/4" drop blade with a boar tusk handle about 5 years ago... I put that knife through so many animals and so much work.

I'll have that knife for 30 years easy.

Price isn't really a problem if you want quality.

thewookie
01-17-08, 11:23 AM
Oh I hear you on the price thing,, you get what you pay for, but I'm a banker now,, and I don't hunt anything that isn't going to give me a blow job after. So it's pointless for me to spend that kind of moolah these days for something that will only look nice. I'd rather save more money on my retirement home in Hawaii! Back to the point,,, I've spent plenty of doe ray me on my rifles and other weapons of choice,, so I understand what your saying. But I'm just talking for the average guy like me, a Spyderco is a great knife. But if you got a need for a good hunting knife, whatever game you hunt then I'm sure you can find something that meets your needs, and like you said it probably won't be cheap but it'll be worth it!

DOC WEB
01-17-08, 11:31 AM
Oh ya Wookie I diffently agree with you there is a right tool for every job and not everyone needs a big a$$ skinnin knife, I own a couple benchmade and SOG knives too. never owned a spyderco but they don't look bad at all.

yellowwing
01-17-08, 11:50 AM
So what's the deal with a "custom made knife"?

DOC WEB
01-17-08, 12:00 PM
You can find ppl that will make you a knife exactly how you want it.
ie. cherry wood handle with a 3'' drop point blade and a gut hook.

only thing is it's gonna cost you.

but there are knife makers you can find online that just make handmade knives that you can buy off them. they are usually the highest quality knife you can buy, very high grade metal for the blades and nice handles.

hope that answers your question

ggyoung
01-17-08, 12:14 PM
DOC WEB===========John Young is my oldest son. I have two knives made by Harvey Draper who at the time was working for Gill Hibben. Gill makes the knives for the Rambo movies. Any way the one knife went with me on two tours in Vietnam. My mother is the one that bought them for me. As of about ten years ago they were worth $1700.00 each. Good custom knives are a real good investment just like old guns they go up in value as time gos by.

ggyoung
01-17-08, 12:16 PM
BTW John is at a knife show in Los Vages this week end.