PDA

View Full Version : Manion says son's death in Iraq inspired his run for Congress

thedrifter
01-16-08, 03:48 PM
themorningcall.com
Election 2008
Manion says son's death in Iraq inspired his run for Congress
Bucks Republican announces; accuses Rep. Murphy of partisanship.

By Scott Kraus

Of The Morning Call

January 16, 2008

Last April, Tom Manion's son Travis, a first lieutenant in the Marines, was killed by a sniper's bullet in Iraq.

It was a ''wake-up call'' that led him to declare his candidacy for Bucks County's 8th District seat in Congress on Tuesday from the kitchen of his Doylestown Township home.

''I'm not a politician,'' Manion said. ''I've never thought about political office, but I am again called to serve, inspired by my son, supported by my family and ready to make a difference in all the critical issues that face our nation and our local communities.''

If he wins the April 22 Republican primary, Manion, a drug company vice president and retired Marine colonel with 30 years of active duty and reserve service, will go up against first-term Democrat Patrick Murphy, the only Iraq war veteran in Congress.

Fueled in part by public dissatisfaction with the war in Iraq, Murphy squeaked by then-incumbent Republican Mike Fitzpatrick in 2006 by about 1,500 votes in the 8th District, which includes Bucks County and slivers of northeast Philadelphia and Montgomery County.

Since then, Murphy, 34, has received plenty of cable news exposure and amassed a campaign fund that recently reported nearly $1.2 million cash on hand.

Manion, 53, stuck to broad themes in his announcement, calling for lower taxes, less government spending, concern for the environment, access to affordable health care and repeatedly calling for bipartisanship in Washington.

He said he wants to ''end the war in Iraq as soon as possible'' and, asked to elaborate, said he supports the current U.S. troop ''surge'' there, as well as U.S. efforts to encourage the Iraqi government to step up and take control of security.

He was careful to give credit for the surge and current Iraq policy to Gen. David Petraeus, commander of U.S. forces in Iraq, and not to President Bush.

''It's pretty evident the surge is working,'' Manion said. ''We have to see that through.''

Manion said he is anti-abortion; Murphy supports abortion rights. Both support embryonic stem-cell research, although Manion said he hopes that becomes less of an issue as alternatives are found.

Political experts said Manion has a compelling story and military credentials to match Murphy's, but wondered how the first-time candidate will hold up on the campaign trail, and how his policy positions will appeal to Bucks County's traditionally moderate voters.

''The question is whether or not that story in this cycle matches up with what voters are looking for,'' said Charlie Gerow, a Republican political consultant familiar with Bucks County. ''Now I think it's more of a referendum on what Murphy has done. It is an interesting juxtaposition.''

Manion was short on specific criticism of Murphy's record Tuesday, except to say that the freshman Democrat had contributed to the partisan failures of Congress.

Democratic consultant Larry Ceisler said that's probably not going to cut it with 8th District voters, who are known for carefully parsing candidates' records and positions.

''He seems like a very fine man...but when you are running against an incumbent, you have to articulate a good reason why that incumbent should be unseated,'' Ceisler said.

Ceisler said Fitzpatrick was a polished and well-known politician with plenty of political influence, who still lost to Murphy on issues like the Iraq war and stem-cell research.

Manion, Ceisler said, is a political novice.

''Getting into the dirt and grind of a political campaign for the first time is a shock to the system,'' Ceisler said.

But Gerow said if he can adapt to the change from the business and military world to the political spotlight, and raise enough money to compete with Murphy's sizable lead in fundraising, Manion will have a good shot.

''Money is going to be very hard to come by,'' Gerow said. ''I believe [Manion] is a very strong candidate and I think it is a reasonable prospect that the Republicans could retake that seat.''

Both said the eventual presidential candidates at the top of each ticket, and their respective popularity with 8th District voters, also will factor into the race.

The county GOP will launch its endorsement process Thursday night when its executive committee holds candidate screening interviews.

Considered a strong favorite for the GOP nomination, Manion faces perennial also-ran Thomas Lingenfelter and Jeff Madden, a Plumstead Township auto dealership manager, in the primary.

Murphy could not be reached Tuesday for comment.

''Congressman Murphy is bringing people together, Democrats, Republicans and independents, to work hard on behalf of the district's families,'' said his spokesman, Adam Abrams. ''I think there will be plenty of time to talk politics as the election gets closer.''

scott.kraus@mcall.com

215-230-4930

Ellie