PDA

View Full Version : Look Who's Back: 'Boys' of Vietnam

thedrifter
04-11-03, 08:36 AM
Look Who's Back: 'Boys' of Vietnam
By JAMES DAO

WITH SPECIAL OPERATIONS FORCES, in Kuwait, April 10 — The war is winding down here, and no one is happier than the old guys of the MC-130 Combat Talon squadron from Duke Field, Fla.

They are called the grandpas, the dinosaurs, the walker brigade by the other airmen here, many of whom are young enough to be their children. To many, they are the calming voices of experience. To others, they are the geezers.

In a war where the average American soldier is about 20, it is something of a rarity to encounter a contingent of men in their 50's, with graying mustaches and expanding paunches and photographs of grandchildren on their bunks.

"They're always talking about `our boys over there,' " said Ray, a 59-year-old master sergeant and radio operator who, like the other airmen, did not want his last name used. "But that's what we were in Vietnam."

Most have served in numerous conflicts, from Vietnam through Panama, Haiti and the first Persian Gulf war. And while they are not expected to carry heavy rucksacks on long marches through the desert here, they are still heading into danger, as their Combat Talon planes — a variant of the C-130 transport — are used in support of Special Operations missions. These men have been called on to rescue injured soldiers, fix planes and load cargo while under fire.

They are no longer romantic about war, particularly the "under fire" part.

"Before one of our first missions, a young guy said, `I hope someone shoots at us tonight," said Mike, 51, a senior master sergeant and radio operator. "We looked at him like he was crazy. Guys like it the first time. They know better the second time."

When Ray sees the younger airmen champing at the bit to fight, he recalls the rush of excitement on his first night in Vietnam back in 1969.

"I didn't know what to expect, so I set up my helmet right next to my bunk and made sure I knew where the bunker was," he said. "All the other guys laughed at me. But then we took fire that night."

That sensation — the thrill and dread of combat — came rushing back for many of them when they heard the first missile alarm at their base in Kuwait last month. In past wars, they simply threw on helmets and ran for shelter. This time, they had to strap on gas masks and chemical suits with heavy rubber boots and gloves.

This time, it was not such a thrill.

"At our age, it's not really a big deal," said Lamar, a 56-year-old master sergeant and flight engineer. "We just knew to get our gear on."

For some of the younger troops, that kind of insouciance is soothing.

"It's good to have them along," said Chris, a young Combat Talon navigator. "Younger guys get kind of jumpy when they see stuff shooting up at us." But the older airmen, he said, can calm things down.

Another thing about the old guys: they know how to pack for war.

Their tent site is different. There is the Weber grill, the Coleman fold-up chairs with cup holders, the pink flamingo lights and the movie-theater-grade popcorn popper. Rumor has it they possess certain prohibited beverages, but the men all deny it.

"We've gotten quite accustomed to taking our road show with as much creature comforts as possible," said Jim, 54, a chief master sergeant.

That's another thing about the old guys: they knew what to expect from overseas deployments. It's dirty, cramped and uncomfortable. They come prepared. And they are not tolerant of whining.

"I heard some guys complaining about the tents being terrible," Mike said. "I said, this isn't terrible. Terrible is 3 in the morning, looking for a piece of dry dirt to lie on."

"Our philosophy is that there are certain things you don't have to practice," he said. "Being miserable is one of those things."

Most joined the military right out of high school; in some cases, during high school. For many, it is the only life they've known. They still enjoy the camaraderie. And yes, they can still thrill to the excitement.

"When you get into the field and see the planes coming and going, you get pretty spun up," Jim said. "If I go two weeks without flying, I get cranky. My wife says I'm going through flight withdrawal."

Many of the Combat Talon crew members are reservists who have full-time jobs as flight instructors, commercial pilots, engineers and office managers. But the Combat Talons have become a vital means of ferrying Special Operations forces into hostile territory. Because Special Operations forces have been busier than ever since Sept. 11, 2001, so have the Combat Talon crews.

Most have been away for much of the last 18 months. While they are used to it, they are ready to go home.

"My 10-year-old granddaughter is pretty upset I'm gone," Lamar said. "I joined the military when I was 19. There's not much else I've ever known. But right now, I'd be just as happy sitting by my mobile home, fishing."

Sempers,

Roger

firstsgtmike
04-13-03, 03:40 AM
I think I said the same thing in my post; "I am a pacifist.".