PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Heritage Foundation to Add Chapel to Heritage Center

thedrifter
01-14-08, 12:01 PM
January 14, 2008 10:00 AM Eastern Time
Marine Corps Heritage Foundation to Add Chapel to Heritage Center

Arizona Marine Captain and Businessman Timothy T. Day Contributes $5 Million for Project

QUANTICO, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--LtGen Ron Christmas, President of the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation has announced that the Marine Corps Heritage Center will soon be expanded to include a new chapel, located adjacent to the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico, VA. Made possible by a generous contribution from Marine Captain and businessman Tim Day and his wife Sandy, the chapel will become the focal point of Semper Fidelis Memorial Park, a place of remembrance and reflection dedicated to the service of all Marines. The gift will be made through the Timothy T. Day Foundation, Inc. in Phoenix, Arizona on Friday, January 18. As a key developmental goal for Phase II expansion of the Marine Corps Heritage Center, the nondenominational chapel will be a quiet and contemplative space where worshipers can remember the sacrifices and honor those who have served the Nation. Designed by Denver-based Fentress Architects, architects of the National Museum of the Marine Corps, the structure’s architecture will evoke memories of the improvised field chapels familiar to all combat Marines. Groundbreaking for the chapel will occur during 2008.

“The generous gift provided by Mr. Day will create a meaningful and moving place at the Marine Corps Heritage Center for Marines and their families for generations to come,” said LtGen Christmas. “We are grateful for this contribution.”

Mr. Day is the Founder, Chairman and CEO of Bar-S Foods, one of the leading meat-processing companies in the United States with distribution in all fifty states. He served in the Marine Corps from 1959 to 1962, attaining the rank of Captain before entering the business world. Tim credits his transformation from youth to manhood to the Marine Corps and adds, “The experience had a profound influence on my core values, personal traits, and character -- and that influence still guides my actions to this day.”

“I have always been very proud of my service as a Marine and fully recognize the positive impact it had on my life. So, Sandy and I are pleased and honored to now be able to assist the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation fulfill its mission of preserving and propagating the history, traditions, and culture of the Marine Corps.”

With the addition of the chapel, Semper Fidelis Memorial Park continues to expand. Overlooking the National Museum of the Marine Corps, the park is situated on ten acres of high ground and plays an important part in the Museum visitor’s experience. As Phase II expansion continues, the park will grow to include a water feature commemorating the Corps’ nautical tradition as well as an additional network of trails that will extend throughout the wooded grounds. Unit monuments will be aesthetically placed along handicap compliant trails lined with commemorative bricks honoring those who donors wish to remember.

Dedicated to the preservation and promotion of Marine Corps history, the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation was established in 1979 as a non-profit 501(c) (3) organization. The Foundation supports the historical programs of the Marine Corps in ways not possible through government funds. The Foundation provides grants and scholarships for research and the renovation, restoration, and commissioning of historical Marine Corps landmarks. Encouraging the preservation of Marine Corps culture, the Foundation underwrites exhibitions, a concerto competition in conjunction with the U.S. Marine Band, and an awards program honoring writing and extraordinary contributions to Marine Corps history. The Foundation’s most recent endeavor was to secure funds for the initial construction of the National Museum of the Marine Corps and Semper Fidelis Memorial Park, near Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia. This endeavor includes supporting the development of an educational outreach program for middle and high school students using the exceptional artifacts on display within the Museum. Securing the necessary funding for the complete construction of the Marine Corps Heritage Center and the National Museum of the Marine Corps and to further enhance the education program is the Foundation’s current mission.

Ellie