PDA

View Full Version : The NY Times has shown its true colors...

Nimrod1193
01-14-08, 09:51 AM
In a front page, above-the-fold article the New York Times reports this weekend about 121 killings committed by veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan since 2001. The article is entitled "Across America, Deadly Echoes of Foreign Battles", and it portrays American combat veterans as ticking time-bombs who could snap at a moment's notice.

But let's look at those numbers, shall we?

According to House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer's website, 1,484,961 military personnel have served in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2001. If you count all 121 killings as "murders", that produces a murder rate of .00815%.

The population of the state of New York is 19,306,183. There were 4,527 murders committed in New York between 2002 and 2006. This produces a murder rate of .02345%.

This means if you live in the state of New York, you are nearly three times more likely to commit murder than an Iraq/Afghanistan veteran. But that fact didn't seem to make it into the article.

This sort of propaganda used to be called by its proper name. Treason. Now it's called cutting-edge journalism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/us/13vets.html

PatriotGirl422
01-14-08, 10:03 AM
This article is wrong on so many levels. I can't believe that they would write something like that. Nimrod, have you thought about sharing those statistics with the NYtimes? I'm sure we could come up with plenty more. It would make a good letter to the editor.
And this quote: "Mr. Sepi did not like to venture outside too late. But, plagued by nightmares about an Iraqi civilian killed by his unit, he often needed alcohol to fall asleep."
Come on, it looks like they're really trying way to hard here to be dramatic and negative.
People are always putting a magnifying glass on the military. I'm sure that there are way larger murder statistics for people in other occupations over the past 7 years, but they just don't notice it. I understand that some people may be a little messed up in the head after war, and it could cause some of them to snap and kill someone, but then again, there are many business owners, doctors, and other professionals who have their own stress at work and who commit suicide or kill loved ones.
It's just another anti-war propaganda story for college kids to talk about at their political meetings.

thedrifter
01-14-08, 03:56 PM
NYT misfires on veterans story <br />
<br />
<br />
Sunday's New York Times features a lengthy front-page article titled &quot;Across America, Deadly Echoes of Foreign Battles&quot; — what it bills as Part I of a &quot;series of...

003XXMarineDAD
01-14-08, 04:55 PM
The old grey lady the NY times has been against the Troops for years and will continue to carry the water for water for the hate America crowd till we put a stop to it.
:mad:

yellowwing
01-14-08, 06:34 PM
You got to be careful and read intelligently when any news piece throws around vague and ambiguous words like "about, "some", "appears", "taken together", "often times", "suggests", "a few", "many", well you get the idea.

Its a reporter using these words to sway an argument when there is no hard facts.

greensideout
01-14-08, 08:39 PM
The fact is---the stress of war has always been with those that have been there---not those that believe they know better and have not been there. Their comments mean little to the combat vet.

LeonardLawrence
01-14-08, 09:06 PM
Still have to read all the posts, so if this has been mentioned, please forgive.

Article is misleading, shameful and a slap to our veterans.

If you look statistically at the same age group as a whole, there are less killings than this sample.

Did I mention the article was shameful?

thedrifter
01-15-08, 07:12 AM
SMEARING SOLDIERS <br />
<br />
By RALPH PETERS <br />
<br />
<br />
January 15, 2008 -- THE New York Times is trashing our troops again. With no new &quot;atrocities&quot; to report from Iraq for many a month, the limping Gray Lady...

ese4mc
01-15-08, 07:34 AM
between the n.y. times,l.a.times & wash. post--other then classified adds & obituaries they print what they want--perhaps they should all have a b---s--- page--that way they can eliminate the front page & deal only with the b---s--- page-- any one who reads it will say"" this is pure b---s---" for example osama really took his oath of office on the Bible or He really placed his hand over his heart & not the family jewels at the Pledge of Allegience with the clintons---thats about 800 tons worth of B---S---

thedrifter
01-16-08, 05:41 AM
The 'Wacko Vet Myth' <br />
January 16, 2008; Page A12 <br />
<br />
Most journalists consider it bad form to mention the race or ethnicity of a criminal defendant without a compelling reason. But racial and ethnic...

Sgt Leprechaun
01-16-08, 10:34 AM
This was BS from the gitgo, and anyone with a lick of sense KNEW it.

Thank goodness these days for the internet to call out the scumbags at the NYT for this one.

And then they have the gall to say they "Support the troops". (Yeah.........the other sides....)

A typical propaganda piece designed to smear the troops.

Big Jim
01-16-08, 12:36 PM
There should limits and constraints on our "Freedom of speech" Amendment. One where that same freedom shouldn't allow to tarnish hard-earned military reputations or hurt anybody, like those cult idiots from Kansas who think they are within their rights when they picket funerals of slain military! People take things thing too far, and those are the people who never even fought for it or contributed to the good of America NOT ONCE in their miserable frikkin lives! That's the only way to stop these people from saying what they think they have a right to say...good or bad! The law treason or sedition should include this violation and include the proper punishment as well!! I'm sick of these loser idiots who never sweated or gave blood or any other effort abusing the priviliedges given them just because they are born an American. It should be a responsibility to support our military and actually have perform at least a civil service for a period in their lives. This will instill a pride and discipline in all people who work at the cause. I know it sounds grim but man, our own fellow Americans are doing something very wrong here!!!