View Full Version : Marine switches to police uniform

thedrifter
01-14-08, 08:17 AM
Marine switches to police uniform
31-year military veteran honored
By Julie K. Buzbee
Special to The Capital-Journal
Published Sunday, January 13, 2008

He will still be a man in uniform, but it won't be one worn by the few, the proud, the Marines.

Instead, Ron Brown will now only wear the uniform of Topeka police officers, whose motto is to protect and serve with honor.

In a sea of Marine green inside the cavernous Armed Forces Reserve Center at Forbes Field, Chief Warrant Officer 4 Brown retired Saturday from the Marine Corps Reserves, General Support Ammunition Platoon, after nearly 31 years.

Brown was surrounded by family members, friends and fellow service members, including reviewing officer Col. Kevin McCarthy, who flew in from Washington, D.C., for the ceremony.

"Working with the young men has been the best part about being in the Marine Reserves," Brown said. "They're looking for leadership and guidance. They're great kids."

Brown's son Adam, 17, soon will be one of those kids. Adam took part in the ceremony with the Topeka High School ROTC's silent drill team at the beginning of the event. He will leave in February and have his first Marine experiences in San Diego, just as his father did in 1977.

Brown's oldest son, Josh, 20, also has followed in his dad's military footsteps. He is in the Army. His youngest son, David, is 10.

His wife, Margaret , was honored during the ceremony and presented with roses.

"It's been wonderful," she said. "I've been with Ron since he went off to boot camp."

In his retirement message, Brown said his family has remained of paramount importance.

"While I am very proud of my service to the Corps, my greatest achievement in life has been to be the son of Clifford and Ilene Brown, the husband of Margaret Brown, and the father of Joshua, Adam and David Brown," he said.

Margaret Brown said the most trying times in being a military wife occurred when her husband was deployed. He was on active duty for three years, later deployed in 2003 and 2004, and sent all over the world for shorter stints to teach, as he did in Poland.

"The worst part was when he was gone," she said. "The best part is when we have all gotten together with the Marines and the Marine Corps balls.

Margaret Brown said her husband still has another retirement to go, when he leaves the Topeka Police Department in several years. Brown said his job as an executive officer in the department involves working on special projects with the police chief.

"I was the one who encouraged him to become a warrant officer," said Kendall Phelps, a retired master gunnery sergeant in the Marine Corps Reserve.

Phelps, a retired teacher from Silver Lake High School, said he and Brown have done many things together over the years, including attending training sessions and riding Harley Davidson motorcycles.

"I was with my band in Colorado when I heard that he'd been wounded (in Iraq)," Phelps said. "It really hit me hard because we are so close."

Phelps said Brown is fair and honest in dealing with people.

"Whatever he's done, he's put 100 percent into," Phelps said. "The Marines here love him."

Julie K. Buzbee is a freelance writer in Topeka. She can be reached at jbuzbee59@yahoo.com.

Ellie