PDA

View Full Version : Running

mass
01-12-08, 07:42 PM
When I run, I start feeling it hard to breath. I know running isn't going to be a walk in the park but after 2 miles I feel it hard to catch my breath when I'm running. Is this normal? Should I not be able to catch my breath while running? Like I can't take deep breaths to feel "comfortable".

Marine84
01-12-08, 07:59 PM
Oh God! It DOES take more air to do it. Do you really think you're supposed to be comfortable running? LOL! You're too young to be running out of air though.

mass
01-12-08, 08:08 PM
I knew I was going to get a reply like this lol. But seriously, I know your not supposed to be comfortable. But while your running, should you be able to take a deep breath? or just short ones? is it safe to run without taking deep breaths?

Marine84
01-12-08, 08:19 PM
Everybody has their own method. When I went through, we had to sing cadence when we ran - keeps your mind off of what you're doing and it helps with the breathing but, it ain't gonna be comfortable.

Fubar5812
01-12-08, 08:20 PM
do you wheeze at all? you may have asmtha...

i know the feeling your trying to explain,basically your heart is beating so fast trying to get blood to all the necessary points and your lungs can't quite keep up..

BR34
01-12-08, 08:37 PM
Are you running outside? I see you're in Chicago, and the cold weather may cause this.

Running in the cold is painful as hell for me! But running in milder temps doesn't bother me at all.

I'd say if it's below 40-45 try running on a treadmill and see if the problem persists.

mass
01-12-08, 08:49 PM
I wasn't wheezing. While I was running I was just trying to take deep breaths and it wouldn't "catch".

No this happened when I ran on a treadmill.

Whitey
01-12-08, 09:57 PM
do you smoke? what speed are you running at? these are factors. if youre doing proper breathing youre fine. our series gysgt always said "if there is air. you'll live"

Gibbs08
01-12-08, 10:03 PM
Hey man in my opinion you should just keep working at it. The more you run the better off you will be. When I first joined I ran an 11:00 minute 1.5 miles and had the very same problem with catching my breath, but I have worked on my running and have knocked my time down to 9:35 and the breathing problems have stopped. So just continue to run and you will see improvement eventually.

kelley26
01-12-08, 11:00 PM
I wasn't wheezing. While I was running I was just trying to take deep breaths and it wouldn't "catch".

No this happened when I ran on a treadmill.

Are you fat?

TSchultz
01-12-08, 11:10 PM
Buy an iPod or something and listen to it while you run. Or just get a song in your head and play it in your head as you run. It really works to get your mind off the pain and I guarantee you will run better. Some people say breathing to the song helps alot too, It doesn't seem to help me too much though.

And for catching your breath, I don't fully understand what you're going through as anything out of the ordinary (everyone has a harder time breathing after 2 miles) but when you start feeling like the Earth ran out of air, slow down and walk for 15 seconds and get yourself caught up.

A Marine that I talked to the other day was telling me that he ran an 18:30 3-mile and he slowed down and walked at least 6 times on that run.

Mindgame
01-12-08, 11:17 PM
Did you recently start running?

Like mentioned above. Just keep working at it. When I first started I couldn't run for long at all. It mainly had to do with my breathing. I would think to much about. I usually try and take a deep breath in for about 6 counts, and let out for about the same. Now I can run further, and faster. Just keep pushing yourself. I never thought I was even capable of a 1 1/2 miles. Then I started PT with my recruiters and he made me run 3 miles.

The cold does play abig role in it for some people. I have a even harder time breathing in the cold as well.

A science teacher, at the high school I work at, was explaing that cramping feeling you get when you don't breath. It has something to do with the carbon dioxide building up in your bloodstream, or lungs, wich only makes it harder to breath. So you need to just find the right rythem when breathing.

thewookie
01-12-08, 11:40 PM
It's just weakness leaving your body, no worries, suck it up.

Dan629
01-12-08, 11:42 PM
If you smoke it will deffinately create a problem. My body is in great shape at this point and I still can't run under 11:30 in 1 1/2 mile runs. My body doesn't get tired at all from the run. I just get short of breath very quickly due to the fact I have been smoking a pack a day since I was about 14 :thumbdown (21 now). I have deffinately improved from my original 14:30 IST time though (lol pathetic, I know)

crazymjb
01-13-08, 02:12 AM
When I run myself as hard as possible I usually end weezing, and I don't have and have never had asthma. I don't have any trouble breathing, just make a weezing sound.

It is understandable that maybe you cannot catch your breath, but you should be able to fill your lungs. The more often you run or do intense extended cardio workouts, the greater the hemoglobin level in your blood gets, so your blood can essentially hold more oxygen. Run more, breathing gets easier. When you hear about athletes blood doping they are essentially getting a trasnfusion of someone elses blood to gain extra blood cells and greater oxygen carrying capacity.

For some reason I have a more difficult time running a set distance on a treadmill than outside. I am a big guy (not fat) close to 200 lbs and think it may have something to do with the inertia you can work with when running outside and gaining forward momentum, versus a treadmill where you essentially have to keep your weight in one place.

Mike

LeonardLawrence
01-13-08, 02:18 AM
bl

For some reason I have a more difficult time running a set distance on a treadmill than outside. I am a big guy (not fat) close to 200 lbs and think it may have something to do with the inertia you can work with when running outside and gaining forward momentum, versus a treadmill where you essentially have to keep your weight in one place.

Mike

Interesting. Most research shows treadmills are physically easier than running outside.

karstenchu
01-13-08, 02:39 AM
Hello Mass. I did a little bit of research a few months ago when I started running. An interesting fact I found was that during exercise, your blood is fully saturated with oxygen. The part that your cardiovascular system has a difficult time with is actually getting the CO2 out rather than more O2 in. It is very possible to hyperventilating by forcing yourself to inhale more while running!

As someone said above, everyone has their own breathing cadence. The more running experience you get, the closer you'll get to finding your natural breathing rhythm. One piece of advice I found on some runners' forums was that your breaths should be somewhat shallow. You don't see many runners gasping for a deep breath and blowing out a huge one. Many runners that run outside seem to like to open their mouth and let the air flow do some of the breathing for them. Play around with it.

A lot of it might have to do with your fitness level. You seem to be a more fit individual than I! There was a time when I couldn't run a quarter mile without huffing and puffing. After a few months of consistent training, I am able to do 1.5 miles at a decent pace and almost feel decent afterwards! So keep it up! DI's (or so I hear) will push you beyond your limits at BC. They can do this since your body is capable of a lot more than your mind will tell you. Just keep those legs going and good luck on your training!

Tiny90
01-13-08, 05:47 PM
Deeper breathes than normal, but not like your soaking in the fresh air and breath fast, the faster, deeper you breath, the more oxygen flows into your loungs.

Everybody runs out of breath. I for example will get winded and all sorts of things start happening... get a taste of blood in my throut/mouth sometimes, teeth hurt (especially on cold days). But i dont think about it. I just go untill my body gets past the hurting and basicly goes numb (which is the hardest part for me). After that, i can run all day long, but when i stop my breathing wont be normal for atlest 10 mins. Maybe more.

Your Body can do 3 times more than you think you can. Remember this and you will go far!

crazymjb
01-13-08, 06:18 PM
Interesting. Most research shows treadmills are physically easier than running outside.
I know it is supposed to be, but I have an easier time running outside. I used to run on treadmills a lot, and actually got shin splints on them more easily than outside. Also not supposed to happen.

Maybe it is just a mental thing. You can set distance goals and keep yourself more entertained outside. Also if you get a bit of motivation you can rack up the speed a bit and so fourth.

Mike

Helland
01-13-08, 09:05 PM
All you have to do is keep on running. Remember practice makes perfect. But a good way to also improve your breathing is go in a pool and do what we "Lungbusters." It's when you're basically in a pool and you start at 1 end of the pool and go underwater and swim to the opposite without coming above water. This really improves your lungs believe or not you won't kno until you try it. Also breathing hard is a bad thing to do while your running, a good way to do it is in with your nose out with your mouth. But then again like other people said people have their own ways to staying comfortable. Goodluck to you!!

skaterjon89
01-14-08, 05:16 PM
I'm a frequent runner (x-country/track in h.s.) I hate treadmills/ tracks or anything that actually doesn't take you anywhere. I found out that running long distances with an ipod and good scenery my breathing maintains control and it seems shorter...

kbs95125
01-14-08, 06:09 PM
Just start singing cadences

"I love hand to hand..."

Eventually you want to be running just to keep singing about smashing someone in the face with an e-tool. It's just moto.

PooleeMoules
01-14-08, 10:56 PM
The lungs will become stronger the more you exersise them...Running will make them more "effiecent" I suppose you cold say...

ZaCo
01-17-08, 04:09 PM
This thread has gotten way to technical and complicated for something as simple as running. This is a great quote from a great Marine:
"...there's mighty little room for fancy tactics... There are times when you have to flank, but don't forget that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line."

I've run for a long time, high school, college, marathons, in -40 degrees, in 110 degrees, in rain, in blizzards, on treadmills, with shin splints, broken bones (wasn't fun), and even been hit by a few cars (damn old ladies). Through it all the easiest thing to do is put on a shirt, some shorts, a good pair of go-fasters, and just hit the road, if your lucky you might have some park trails. The more you run the more your body adapts and everything comes into place, breathing, less-soreness, and speed/endurance.
Sure, run on treadmills, it's mentally tougher because boredom sets in right away, but when will you ever run on perfectly flat conditions, an a/c climate in boot or in the field, never. A great coach once told me, "If you can't train in the elements, what makes you think you can race in them!?"

Give you an idea what running is like right now in Grand Forks, North Dakota. This morning the temp. read -14 with a 17 mph wind. My eye lids froze shut a couple times and my morning beard was frozen white. I loved every minute of it and can't wait for the next few days as it is supposed to get much colder! HAHA!

SO GO OUT AND RUN!!!

LeonardLawrence
01-17-08, 11:40 PM
kbs95125,

Freaking motivating. I stole your statement for my signature.

kbs95125
01-18-08, 01:49 AM
Thanks Cpl.

I sang it during RA this week while we worked with the Poolees at my RSS.

However, I'd like to politely correct your signature, only because I am only a Pvt. (hopefully not much longer if some of my contacts from this week get into the office)

LeonardLawrence
01-18-08, 02:02 AM
Done kbs...

Thanks for the catch.

I thought this was meritorious promotion board... ;)

kbs95125
01-18-08, 02:20 AM
Oh if only...haha!

It could be worse... I had someone who was retired Army ask me where my ribbon for completing boot camp was tonight when I went out with some friends to dinner in my blues. Ribbons are like roofies at a frat party apparently.

LeonardLawrence
01-18-08, 02:49 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/ArmyServ.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ArmyServ.gif)

You didn't get your Army Service ribbon yet???:( Looks kinda like a rainbow, doesn't it?:D

After being intimately acquanited with frat parties in my line of work, I would think showing up and not having the frat boy belly would be an aphrodisiac with the ladies.

The fat frat boy look is all the rage this year...