PDA

View Full Version : SOI Week 7

zackmerc
01-12-08, 05:01 PM
Hello everyone,

We just finished our last week of actual training. The last week here at Infantry Training Battalion will be just processing. I got my duty assignment to 1st Battalion 3rd Marine Regiment in Hawaii.

Our 7th Week consisted of intense MOUT training. That's Military Operation in Urban Terrain. There is a small range out here at SOI called Combat Town Bravo III. It is a small village of concrete building used for urban combat training. We did a lot of two-man room clearing where the two of us stood by a door, chucked a grenade in, and rushed inside. Fatal frontal, dominant corner, etc. We also did lower level building entry techniques such as heel lifts, two-man support lifts, etc. We also got to do vehicle checkpoints where we stopped cars driven by the instructors. We searched their vehicles and were even tested on what we could find. We had to find knives, contraband, and other items to pass. Some of us even got to yell at our own instructors when perfoming this training event. That was fun.

After that we did what's called the BSRE. It is a test of everything we learned. We went back out to combat twon and the two rifle platoons took different sides of the hill. We took the hill right next to the town, built two-man fighting holes and stood on standby the entire night. Then as morning came, we went on several raids agains the other platoon. No, you get NO hours of sleep during the entire 48 hours. It is a real war simulation and it was very fun. Some of us even fired blanks within feets of each other.

After that tiring and long week, it finally came to an end and we are now on weekend liberty. The only thing that is left is the 20K hike. We have to hike out 3 miles to Camp Horno, go up the Trail of Tears (a 3 mile long incline up), throught he Alpha self (a long ridge along the coastal mountains), down the Anklebreaker (a steep rugged downhill known to literally break ankles), and back to the squadbays for hamburgers and hot dogs. Then, they shove my into my Alpha uniforms and put me on a airplane to Hawaii.

The last few weeks are the longest and the most exhausting at SOI but it is the time you actually get the most training so make the most out of it.

Also, I just got promoted to PFC. My time in service came up and I was promoted.

Also, poolees and new Marines remeber everything that I have said because ITB will be exactly like this. Fun, Boring, Miserable, Exciting, Rewarding, Punitive, and Worth IT.

Wyoming
01-12-08, 05:13 PM
Congrats on the promotion, AND, Hawaii to boot. Sweet!!

Covey_Rider
01-12-08, 06:03 PM
Hey man congrats. Just out of curiosity have they begun to teach IBT (Initiative Based Tactics) when clearing rooms yet? Make sure that you go to the fleet with the realization that many of the things that you have already learned will be greatly expanded on and a lot of others will be completely changed. Good luck and Semper Fi.

BR34
01-12-08, 08:46 PM
Fun, Boring, Miserable, Exciting, Rewarding, Punitive, and Worth IT.

That sums up my life in the Marine Corps. That should be on recruiting posters.

davblay
01-13-08, 01:28 AM
Congrats PFC! Have a good trip to the 50th state as well. Get some!

Semper Fi

Dave

thewookie
01-13-08, 08:14 AM
Nice duty station! That was my 1st duty station and what a spot it is! Zack, get used to many trips to the big island for PTA (live training). You''ll find out more about PTA when you get to 1/3. Just look out for the lava! And remember this, never, ever,, get wise or smart with local Hawaiians or Samoans. They are or can be your best friend while you're there but they can also be your worst enemy. They don't like wise azz Marines. I saw some Marines/Saliors/Soldiers get the beat down of a life after too many beers and too much shiat talking to the locals. They are enormous and they don't feel anything when you hit them, so don't bother! Be careful for the under-toe at Pyramid Rock Beach (right on base), I almost drowned there trying to save my buddy who wasn't the best swimmer. And get dive qualed and buy a mountain bike while your there and you'll have a great time! Good Luck!

Phantom Blooper
01-13-08, 08:31 AM
They beat shiat outta smart azz hollies!:beer:

Good luck 3rd MarDIV is a great division.

Yes,prepare to go to plenty of helo ops to the Big Island for live fire.

Hawaii is beautiful but you can get very cold and freeze your azz over there and you can get very wet in the rainy season.

In training stay out of the pineapple fields.

Again good luck!

:evilgrin: