PDA

View Full Version : I'm going Afghanistan

Accord
01-12-08, 04:28 PM
You've all probably heard on the news about the proposal to send 3,000 Marines to Afghanistan, well the proposal was just approved by the SecDef and I am one of those 3,000 Marines who are going.

Our unit was originally a MEU(SOC), we just completed the entire workup and certification exercise for a MEU(SOC) and now all that **** has gone out the window. For the past 6 months we were planning on just going to some exotic libbo ports and going on a booze cruise in the med for 9 months with a humanitarian mission or two mixed in as well as a 3 week stop in Kuwait to train with their military, well all that is now out the window and now we're flying straight to the Ghan and will be in Helmand, the most brutal province in Afghanistan. We will be a part of NATO and our AO is actually controlled by the British, all those crazy videos of the British Royal Marines in Afghanistan you've seen on Youtube, that's where i'll be.

I won't specifically say when we're deploying due to OPSEC but let's just say that we're deploying so quickly that predeployment leave has been cancelled.

KABUL (Reuters) - Afghanistan welcomed on Thursday U.S. plans to send an extra 3,000 troops to fight the Taliban insurgency, but Washington's move highlights divisions between Western allies over how much to commit to the country.

In Brussels, NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer welcomed the U.S. plans but stressed that a number of European allies had in recent months also added forces there.

The Pentagon said on Wednesday U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates was considering sending an additional 3,000 Marines to thwart any Taliban spring offensive, bringing to around 30,000 the number of American troops in Afghanistan.

Around half the current U.S. contingent serves in a 40,000-strong NATO-led International Security and Assistance Force (ISAF), while the rest conduct missions ranging from counter-terrorism to reconstruction to training Afghan troops.

Zahir Azimi, a spokesman for Afghanistan's Defense Ministry, said a U.S. troop increase would help anti-insurgency operations as the new national army continued to grow.

"As we are in the fight together with the international community, the deployment of additional troops to Afghanistan is considered necessary in the current situation," he said.

However, "the Afghan National Army is the answer for the long-term security in Afghanistan to thwart internal and external threats to the country and to maintain the force balance," he said, adding that the number of trained soldiers would grow from 58,000 to 70,000 in the next two months.

Washington, stretched by last year's troop surge in Iraq, has for months been trying in vain to persuade NATO allies to commit more combat troops to Afghanistan to take up the slack.

'CAN DO BETTER'

European governments have been reluctant to increase their operations here and, wary of a big dip in domestic public support for their continued presence, have been scaling back.

Under the U.S. plan, most of the Marines would join British, Canadian and Dutch troops in southern Afghanistan, scene of the worst fighting.

NATO's de Hoop Scheffer pointed to recent smaller additions from countries including France, Slovakia, Hungary and Poland -- which on Wednesday announced it would add 400 troops and helicopters -- to its existing 1,200-strong contingent.

"You cannot say the allies are not active enough, because they are active. ... But I still think we can do better," he told reporters at an event in Brussels, noting persistent shortfalls in NATO's forces.

He also stressed the ultimate answer was not military but a long-term commitment to reconstruction and development.

"The solution for Afghanistan is not pouring in tens of thousands of forces," he said.

While NATO says it thwarted last year's attempted Taliban spring offensive, overall violence is up 27 percent over a year ago and has risen by 60 percent in the southern province of Helmand, the U.S. military said last month.

De Hoop Scheffer argued that much of the good news in the country -- such as what he said was a doubling in the average Afghan personal income from 2001 -- was being overshadowed.
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idU...lBrandChannel=0 (http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSL1013422320080110?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0)

Zulu 36
01-12-08, 04:51 PM
Good luck. Stay hard, listen to the combat vets. Watch six. Don't let those shirt buttons get in your way of getting lower. :D

If you can, kick a little AQ butt. :flag:

Phantom Blooper
01-12-08, 04:56 PM
Good Luck! Godspeed,fair winds & following seas! Look out for your Marines...take care of yourself! Keep your head down,your sights sharp and your ammo coming!:beer:

Semper Fi!

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
:evilgrin:

DWG
01-12-08, 05:23 PM
The best of luck to you MARINE! Our thoughts and prayers go with you.:flag:

Marine84
01-12-08, 07:32 PM
You'll do fine baby Brother - you've been trained by the best and you had the gumption in you before they even got a hold to you. Just keep your head and your ass down.

mike christy
01-12-08, 07:40 PM
Keep your head down & your eyes open, come home safe, our prayers go with you.

yellowwing
01-12-08, 08:34 PM
Outstand John! Just stay out of those Helmand strip bars and tattoo parlors. :D

Your probably going to have a few weeks of mission oriented training. Pay attention. This last years of MEU SOC training still was exellent to forge your team into a unit.

Go make the Commandant proud and you'll be having a lot more Devil Dog company! :iwo:

jinelson
01-12-08, 09:23 PM
God speed John your time is here. Now go make a difference. Get some devil!

OORAH!!!

Jim

kaboom1371
01-12-08, 09:26 PM
just remember sight alignment and sight picture. never assume anything and nobody but your fellow Marines are to be trusted as being safe people. NOBODY... take care, be safe, watch your ass and come home safe.

Semper Fi brother

LeonardLawrence
01-13-08, 01:17 AM
John...

Best wishes to you and the other 2999 who are heading that way. Please don't forget that all of us in America is NOT at the mal, despite what the media portrays. You and the Marines taking care of business over there ARE in our thoughts and prayers on a daily basis.

Enjoy your ports, I would wish you luck, but you don't need it. You have training.

Take care of your brothers and sisters and give the enemy what they so desperately want.

Semper Fidelis!

davblay
01-13-08, 01:43 AM
GOD SPEED John, it's been a long hard road for you to get to this point, but you are ready and we are depending on you to do as you have been trained. I know we will all be sending our prayers to guide you during your tour and may God help you make the decisions you need to, to defend our way of life!

Semper Fi My younger brother, Semper Fi!

Dave

Gunny C
01-13-08, 02:57 AM
Welcome to the fight...

You're gonna do fine. I was there in 2002-3 just after the first wave against the Taliban. Make the most of wherever you get put... Embassy, ISAF or elsewhere...

Keep one thing in mind.. the Afghans are not stupid.... they've been at war for 30 + years (Soviet Union, Taliban, etc). Slight them at your own risk. They are proof of "No better friend, no worse enemy".

thedrifter
01-13-08, 06:05 AM
Keep Your head and butt down!

Good Luck!

You have a good Corpsman onboard with You..

A good friend of mine, and a fellow worker;)

Ellie

Osotogary
01-13-08, 09:42 AM
Accord,
I know that things are going about one thousand miles an hour in terms of unit and self readness. If you can think of it be sure ,once you get settled, to let us know your mailing address. If your FPO address happens to be on the approved MOTOMAIL list then we can send letters to you, at no cost, which should get to you in a couple of days from the date sent.

Keep one thing in mind.. the Afghans are not stupid.... they've been at war for 30 + years (Soviet Union, Taliban, etc).

Take care of yourself and your fellow Marines. Take absolutely nothing for granted. You will be fine and in my discussions with God.

Gary

rb1651
01-13-08, 11:04 AM
Best of luck to you, Marine. May all of you who are leaving, and those that are there, return safely. Keep your butt down and your eyes open and trust in your training. Godspeed and fair winds, and come back knowing that you have made this world a safer place to be.

sgt tony
01-13-08, 06:45 PM
Come home safe John keep us up on how you and things are going time to time. And remember this SHOOT LOW SHERIFF HES RIDING A JACKASS

Semper Fi and God Speed

DOWORK1
09-07-08, 06:51 PM
Maybe I will see you there! I will be heading out there soon.

aspinwc
09-07-08, 08:34 PM
Possibly myself also. Gods speed. Semper Fidelis.:iwo: