PDA

View Full Version : Help convincing my mom

gnarkill04
01-12-08, 12:50 AM
Alright soo.. my mom is probably one of the most stubborn people ever. [She's italian, too, so the talking/arguing never ends.] I've informed her that I talked to a recruiter and I have my mind set on going and I needed her to sign so I can go into delayed entry, and she's REFUSING. She's got her whole mind set on the political bull, and because she knows people who have lost limbs in the war, she doesn't want me going.

How can I get her to budge towards signing? My recruiter even talked to her and she went as far as to tell him to not talk to me until I was 18. I want to be shipped off in either August or September, and I turn 18 on July 30th. With her not signing, it's gonna take even longer for me to get shipped to boot camp.

Please help with any advice you poolees or Marines that have already been to Iraq can give. Thanks.

:devious:

Dan629
01-12-08, 12:53 AM
You can ship the next monday after you take oath if you really want to. Just wait until you are 18 and sign up on your own. As long as your done school and all you are good to go.

Dan629
01-12-08, 12:54 AM
Ship* Don't know why that got xxxx'd out

yellowwing
01-12-08, 12:55 AM
This is another topic discussed many times before. Get a can of cola and then take the time to look through and search the forums. You'll be surprised how much is already there.

Tiny90
01-12-08, 01:21 AM
Just tell her your going either way and she'll be helping your career (idk if she really is) if she signs. Then tell her if she doesnt let you join the DEP then you wont write her while in Boot. She's your mom, how many times have you argued with her? You should know how she thinks and be able to plan your arguement to cut her off and make your point. If it doesnt work... just wait 'till your 18.

kaboom1371
01-12-08, 01:29 AM
Just tell her your going either way and she'll be helping your career (idk if she really is) if she signs. Then tell her if she doesnt let you join the DEP then you wont write her while in Boot. She's your mom, how many times have you argued with her? You should know how she thinks and be able to plan your arguement to cut her off and make your point. If it doesnt work... just wait 'till your 18.

Holly crap, I think we just found our next Commandant of the Marine Corps

Dan629
01-12-08, 01:30 AM

:sick:

Tiny90
01-12-08, 01:43 AM

I like the sound of that :marine:

I mean uhh... :evilgrin:

kaboom1371
01-12-08, 01:54 AM
thats derogatory you bone heads.....

gnarkill04
01-12-08, 01:57 AM
So I'm assuming I'm just gonna have to wait until I'm 18?

Qwarkeh
01-12-08, 02:14 AM
It's not like waiting until 18 is a bad thing, you'd be amazed at how much you can grow mentally and physically in a little over half a year. Also, if you haven't been to college yet you might be able to swipe 12 college credits for this spring semester and graduate as a PFC.

gnarkill04
01-12-08, 02:38 AM
True. But one of the reasons I'm even going to the Marines is because I don't really wanna start college yet.

Anything else I can do to help me graduate as a PFC?

Tiny90
01-12-08, 02:39 AM

Well thats not very nice :cry:

And yes. you might have to wait untill your 18. but its not that bad. its only 6..7 months away? If ou DEP'd in you would have to wait untill atleast september to ship anyways.

Qwarkeh
01-12-08, 02:44 AM
True. But one of the reasons I'm even going to the Marines is because I don't really wanna start college yet.

Well, then you have to kick ass in boot. If you don't go in as a contract PFC then you'll have to be a squad leader or something along those lines.

gnarkill04
01-12-08, 02:45 AM
Yeah but then I hear being a squad leader is bad too, because if your platoon ****s up, you get screwed.

JChebahtah
01-12-08, 02:47 AM
Yeah but then I hear being a squad leader is bad too, because if your platoon ****s up, you get screwed.

You're going to get screwed anyway, you'll be a recruit, so if you're put in that position give it all you can, might as well...

Qwarkeh
01-12-08, 02:48 AM
So what? You're going to get screwed anyway. If the platoon messes up then everyone is still going to be punished for it. And with that type of attitude, that's like saying "I want to be a Marine with minimal amount of work." The world doesn't work that way. You have to work hard for what you want, and the Marines are harder than most.

gnarkill04
01-12-08, 02:59 AM
Definitely. But don't drill instructors choose squad leaders themselves?

JChebahtah
01-12-08, 03:01 AM
Yes the Drill Instructors will pick different squad leaders and guides throughout bootcamp. They'll get fired and moved around to give others a chance at a leadership position.

DGardner
01-12-08, 10:05 PM

Recruit 2 people while in the Delayed Entry Program.

Marine84
01-12-08, 10:43 PM

LOL - went right over the heads like a F18!

TSchultz
01-12-08, 11:39 PM
Well thats not very nice :cry:

And yes. you might have to wait untill your 18. but its not that bad. its only 6..7 months away? If ou DEP'd in you would have to wait untill atleast september to ship anyways.

That's not true, Once he finishes High school he can ship out to boot right away, like June, even if he's 17. As long as he is in DEP.

And Precruit, If you really want this and your mom really won't sign the papers... pretend like you are a poolee, go to the pool functions, and get yourself as ready as you can. Then when you turn 18, you can sign the papers and ship out the next week. The only disadvantage to not doing DEP is that you cannot guarantee your Occupational field early. This will probably only affect you if you want to go into a really popular MOS... like Infantry (It fills up quick is what my recruiter told me).

Good luck.

gnarkill04
01-12-08, 11:45 PM
I plan to enlist right when I'm 18. And yeah, I definitely want to do this. I have my mind set. My preferred MOS is 08XX. Preferably 0811 but I have to talk to some people in that field to see everything it involves.

And I thought I had to be in delayed entry to attent poolee functions at my recruiting station and all that?

Dan629
01-12-08, 11:49 PM
LOL - went right over the heads like a F18!

Barely:thumbup:

Qwarkeh
01-13-08, 12:05 AM
I plan to enlist right when I'm 18. And yeah, I definitely want to do this. I have my mind set. My preferred MOS is 08XX. Preferably 0811 but I have to talk to some people in that field to see everything it involves.

And I thought I had to be in delayed entry to attent poolee functions at my recruiting station and all that?

It depends on your recruiting station, give them a call and ask.

I didn't DEP in yet but I've been going to the PT sessions over at my RSS. I heard that some stations only let poolees attend, but many let anyone come because it plants a seed in a potential recruit.

TSchultz
01-13-08, 12:24 AM

It may depend on your RSS but at the one here in Madison we have kids coming in who are still 15,16 years old. The Recruiters want to get these boys comfortable and keep them interested in the Marine Corps, they want you to join. Call them up and ask.

onux16
01-14-08, 08:41 PM
I think all the Marines here covered what you need to know. Keep in touch with the recruiter to remind him you're still interested in the Corps.

I noticed you said you didn't want to start college yet. Getting a degree while on active duty isn't easy, and you don't have access to the GI Bill as a reservist. Use the time you have between now and whenever you ship to find out as much as you can about the Corps and the opportunities available to you. Think smart, not hard.

gnarkill04
01-15-08, 03:31 PM
Ha, so to keep everyone up to date of how dedicated my mom is, I was supposed to go with my buddy to his brother-in-law's apartment [right by Pendleton] so we could talk to some guys about our preferred MOS'.

My mom said she refused to let me go because I'll be more interested in it and she doesn't want that. NO ****. Shes ****ing me off because she doesn't realize whether she wants me to or not, I'm going in. And going on base to talk to the guys there is gonna better help my decision on going.

MODERATOR NOTE>>>>YOUR LAST REMARK WAS NOT NEEDED>>>WINKY WINK>>>
WATCH YOUR MOUTH

The Drifter

Phantom Blooper
01-15-08, 03:41 PM
When are you going to be 18 ?

gnarkill04
01-15-08, 06:12 PM
July 30th

Xebec
01-15-08, 07:38 PM
listen, I've been trying for 8 months now to get my parents to sign, hasn't happened yet, and won't till I'm 18. Then I have to wait until my medical papers are reviewed because I broke both of my elbows. Sometimes you just have to wait it out till you turn 18. Luckily for me it's only 15 days away. Good luck, you'll need it to convince a mom like that!

xebec

gnarkill04
01-15-08, 08:59 PM
Thanks. Actually everyone, good news. My mom's friend Rico [kinda like a father figure to me over the past few years] talked some sense into her and she's considering letting me into delayed entry. I'm so stoked. I can't wait to start working more towards being ready for boot. I'm going to my friend's brother-in-law's apartment this weekend [he's a Lcpl on Pendelton] and going on base to talk to some of the guys for my preferred MOS'.

Hopefully gonna soon be able to change my status to DEP. :D

ZSKI
01-16-08, 01:00 PM
How can I get her to budge towards signing? My recruiter even talked to her and she went as far as to tell him to not talk to me until I was 18. I want to be shipped off in either August or September, and I turn 18 on July 30th. With her not signing, it's gonna take even longer for me to get shipped to boot camp.

:devious:

thats nothing my mom went after my recruiter with a baseball bat. That just motivated him, said if i can deal with her i can deal with a DI

Dan629
01-16-08, 01:10 PM
thats nothing my mom went after my recruiter with a baseball bat. That just motivated him, said if i can deal with her i can deal with a DI

LOL:thumbup:

RRpilot
02-02-08, 04:46 PM
Thanks. Actually everyone, good news. My mom's friend Rico [kinda like a father figure to me over the past few years] talked some sense into her and she's considering letting me into delayed entry. I'm so stoked. I can't wait to start working more towards being ready for boot. I'm going to my friend's brother-in-law's apartment this weekend [he's a Lcpl on Pendelton] and going on base to talk to some of the guys for my preferred MOS'.

Hopefully gonna soon be able to change my status to DEP. :D

Somethings that might help is to show your Mom the the Marines arent all death and destruction... Rather they have other options... unless you are set with going 0311. I know I had similar problems when I enlisted way back. My passion was aviation so I DEPed in with the QEP program back then not sure what they have today as a program to Guarentee MOS, Duty region and others, of course you had to score high on the ASVAB test to quailify. In no way was I going in open contract. The more info and knowledge you have about the MOS you would like to have goes a long way to show your Mom that 1. You have done your homework, 2. Shows you are serious, 3. Your physical requirments start the minute you deceded to join (i.e PT) not when you sign the paperwork. Good luck

onux16
02-02-08, 06:31 PM
to RRpilot:
yes, an MOS field can be guaranteed. There's no definite MOS, just the field. In my case, I was eligible for the BZ code, which translated to me as radio repairman. I chose the AG code instead, otherwise known as aircrew. As for duty regions, who knows? I've never seen or heard of it, but it could be around still.

to precruit:
I highly recommend doing lots of pushups. I gaffed it off for the better part of my almost two years in the Corps, and only recently did I realize how much it helps with pullups when done properly. And you don't need an actual pullup bar to do them. Anything sturdy enough to support your weight and tall enough work wonders. When I got bored on a detachment, I wound up doing pullups using the floor of the second deck of the motel we stayed at.
Like RRpilot said, if you're serious about joining, don't wait to sign those papers. Get started now building up your strength and endurance. It's probably the best pre-boot camp advice any Marine could give you.

:usmc:

Lucas08
02-03-08, 12:35 AM
Dille che se tu fossi in italia che anche serverei nel militare. Alla fine del giorno il tuo madre sara' il tuo madre e lei sarebbe felice con tutto che faresti. Potresti inscriverti quando avrai 18 anni. Se parli con la mamma spesso, e se metti le cose dei Marines nella tua camera da letto, probalmente la tua mamma vedra' che questo e' una cosa vorresti fare. Questa era la stessa cosa che facevo con mia mamma. Le mamme sono tutto cosi, pensano che se ti permettono di inscriverti, che moriresti in Iraq. Fa vedere questo sito alla mamma, e continui ad chiederla per inscriverti. Anche passi piu' tempo all'ufficio della tua stazione di reclutamento. Le mamme vogliono fare felice i loro figli.

A presto

Scott

onux16
02-03-08, 01:29 AM
For those who do not understand Italian, this is what Lucas08 is trying to say:
And that if you were in italy that serverei the military. At the end of the day your mother will be 'your mother and she would be happy with all that you would. You may inscriverti when you have 18 years. When talking with his mother often, and if you put things in the Marines your bedroom, your mother probalmente see 'this and that' one thing you can do to help. This was the same thing I was doing with my mother. The mothers are all well, they think that if you allow inscriverti who die in Iraq. Showing this site to the mother, and continue to ask for inscriverti. Even more steps' at the time of your recruiting station. The mothers want to make their children happy.

**translation came from Google language tools; I apologize if it's not clear.

Lucas08
02-03-08, 01:53 AM
All: sorry, I had the translation ready but I forgot to post it. I do speak Italian. So I thought I would make it easier on this kid's mom by posting something in Italian. If she has any questions have her PM me, and I will talk with her

Scott

dsacasa
02-03-08, 07:40 AM
Be thankful that it's as easy as just having to wait til you're 18...

I've been waiting 1 year (technically 4, but I didn't want to be a marine before 1 year) and still have 2 years to go so that I can get my green card. I've been living in the U.S. for 4 years (currently in my 2nd year of college), and it's still that hard to get one :\

Lickdem89
02-03-08, 12:36 PM
Do what I did tell your mom ether you sign now and I pick a different mos other than Infanry or I sign up when i turn 18 and pick 0311....And I'm still going into Infantry and tats what I wanted so its a win win

crazymjb
02-03-08, 01:15 PM
Try explaining how DEP comes off IRR.

Mike

gnarkill04
02-05-08, 02:51 PM
So pretty much, me and my mom have argued enough for her to know that she doesn't want me to go, and I pretty much have my mind set. So I met her half way and decided to do a semester of college in August to get the 15 credits I need to graduade boot PFC. Still going in hopefully in the 21xx field. What are the chances that I'm gonna get 2111 guarenteed [sp?] ? Or is it just the infamous "needs of the Corps." that I have to depend on?

skaterjon89
02-05-08, 04:34 PM
the few. The proud. The famous needs if the Corps....

Lol compliments of my recruiter.

Fubar5812
02-06-08, 01:27 AM
2111 is Small arms tech.

you better have GOOD mechanical knoweldge,you need a near perfect on the asvab to get it ( was orginally going for 2111 when i was signed for reserves,but i switched to active and am going MP) i got 110 on the mechanical comprhension. there are a few Marines on here in that MOS,do a search and PM them for info

gnarkill04
02-06-08, 03:18 PM
Damn.. almost perfect? I've been sketching on how I'm gonna do on the asvab for soo long.. now I'm even more nervous.. My mech skills aren't too great but I really fvckin want a 21xx MOS.

Fubar5812
02-06-08, 07:38 PM
dude don't worry..i have NEVER taken a mechanis course in my life,i don't like cars or know anything about them.

question are like

what is a see-saw?
a lever
a pulley
a wedge

or it will show a diagram of a pulley system with different wheels and asks what direction they should spin to lift the weight on the end of the rope.

Lickdem89
02-06-08, 08:11 PM
Don't worry about the asvab it's so simple. If you think your going to fail i guarantee you will, so don't worry about it and pass it study if you need to!:thumbup:

KevinR90
02-06-08, 09:34 PM
yeah, the ASVAB is very very easy- Once I said yes to my recruiter I was down at MEPs about 1 day later taking the ASVAB and getting my physical done. So I had no time to study or get ready for it- although I'd had a pre-test months before and I took one myself from a book at the library about 3 months before that. I got an 89. You don't really have to worry about it. I've never taken any electrical/mechanical classes either and I did pretty good in those sections. You'll do fine.

gnarkill04
02-08-08, 08:01 PM
On the practice test I took at the station i got like a 34. That's like.. completely unacceptable for me. I need a higher score for me to for SURE get the field I want. And I've gotten really bad at math so that shot me down a lot. I take the test March 13th.

3077India
02-08-08, 08:08 PM
Alright soo.. my mom is probably one of the most stubborn people ever. [She's italian, too, so the talking/arguing never ends.] I've informed her that I talked to a recruiter and I have my mind set on going and I needed her to sign so I can go into delayed entry, and she's REFUSING. She's got her whole mind set on the political bull, and because she knows people who have lost limbs in the war, she doesn't want me going.

Please help with any advice you poolees or Marines that have already been to Iraq can give. Thanks.

:devious:Have you tried forging her signature? :p :p

bstewar09
02-08-08, 11:18 PM
So get this, my mom has actuallly gotten veterans of other branches (no Marines will do it) to try to talk me out of joining the Marines. This along with teachers but I shoot them down with my reasoning everytime.
-Ben

gnarkill04
02-08-08, 11:23 PM
My mom wants to take me to the VA hospital or whatever to try to convince me not to go, and personally I think it'll just motivate me to keep going and serve for guys like them who were brave enough to lose limbs and $hit. My thanks definitely goes out to all them and would just inspire me more to enlist.

kaboom1371
02-08-08, 11:28 PM
be sure to thank them all while your there. They could never be thanked enough for their sacrifice.

gnarkill04
02-08-08, 11:34 PM
Definitely. It'll be one of the first things I say to em.

onux16
08-11-08, 02:12 PM
First off, happy birthday, JAFORG (I'm two weeks late, I know!)

Since you're 18 now, have you signed the papers or gone to MEPS? How's you mom taking it? I'd love to hear what's going on.

Garrett90
08-11-08, 02:21 PM
I havent read what anyone else has said in reply, so my fault if i repeat anything. Just tell her that no matter what, your going, so the only thing that she is doing is holding you back and delaying what you want to do with your life.

onux16
08-11-08, 02:28 PM
if only it were that easy. I know where he's coming from. Latin and Italian mothers are pretty much the same. They love their kids so much but have a funny way of showing it. Then, when they realize we're growing up and don't need them so much, they get even more attached (and crazy!)

God bless our mothers =)

Draco771
08-12-08, 10:49 AM
Tell your mom to sign it, or you'll go Infantry when you come of age...

:D

And take Infantry anyway... :D

Although I gotta go back though, and get my MOS and ship-date...

Semper-1775-Fi
08-12-08, 11:17 AM
On the practice test I took at the station i got like a 34. That's like.. completely unacceptable for me. I need a higher score for me to for SURE get the field I want. And I've gotten really bad at math so that shot me down a lot. I take the test March 13th.

Hey, I got something like a 35 at the office, a week later I was at MEPS completely unprepaired taking the ASVAB. But it really wasn't so complicated, I got an 88 and qualified for almost every job out there. Get yourself some sort of ASVAB for Dumbies or something like that, sounds funny but it helps alot with getting the general idea of the test.

Bonzack
08-12-08, 12:55 PM
You can go to PT without her consent and then join after your birthday and see when the next possible date is.