PDA

View Full Version : ROTC program-active or reserve?

RhylerMarine1
01-10-08, 11:04 AM
Hi there-my name's Rhyler.I had a question about the ROTC program.

Two of my cousins went through it at Fullerton High and at FJC,but as far as I know,none of them ever followed up with it,meaning they never actually served.

I would ask them,but I have no contact with them,now 21 and 23.

I heard that if you went through ROTC during high school and gave up your summers,you could bypass boot camp.You could just walk in and BINGO! you're on your way.My best friend told me this.

Now I'm not trying to get around boot camp-I think it will not only be educational but fun and a challenge.

I don't know how true this is,or if my buddy is just lying.I can't find anything that actually says this on any website.

If anyone can verify this info,I would appreciate it.Thank you very much.

kbs95125
01-10-08, 11:09 AM
Yeah, you've been hoodwinked. Sounds like someone jumbled up the 92 day reserve program a bit...

If you aren't trying to get around going to boot camp then why do you care if its true or not?

DGardner
01-10-08, 11:13 AM
The only way I know of to bypass boot camp is to be accepted into The President's Own. Other than that I don't think there is any way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Marines.

RhylerMarine1
01-10-08, 11:15 AM
I guess I just wondered.I did find it hard to believe.I always figured that ROTC grads had to go through boot camp anyway.

It sounded interesting though.I worried that it wasn't true cause I have a friend who promised to join IF THIS WAS REALLY AN OPTION.

I don't know what I'm going to tell him.... go get a life! -to him.

RhylerMarine1
01-10-08, 11:26 AM
How do you get accepted into the President's Own?? What are their duties??? Bodyguards...??

Qwarkeh
01-10-08, 11:41 AM
They're the best band in the country, hands down. As a person who plays an instrument, but not well enough to be a part of even just the Marine Corps Band, I admire them very much. To be a part of the President's Own you have to be a kickass musician who knows how to play well.

Also, I was looking up the requirements for contract PFC, and it said that if you had two years of ROTC or something like that, you get PFC. That does not mean skipping boot camp.

RhylerMarine1
01-10-08, 11:46 AM
Ok- my buddy had better watch out and take some lessons from you Marines.Heh Heh.

I play the piano-or rather,I'm learning from my musician dad (who plays piano and clarinet beautifully). It's kind of hard...I got a piano for Christmas,since I like to sing and do choir.I've never seen a piano played by the President's Own.Or maybe I'm just not paying attention?

As a side note,does the Corps have a choir?? I think that would be nice.

Thanks!

Qwarkeh
01-10-08, 12:31 PM
Here's the site for the Presidents Own.

http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/

I doubt that you would be accepted with limited playing experience. Only the best instrument players get in. I'm also not sure about the choir part, never really cared for that in high school. :P

To be on the safe side, you should still prepare for boot camp if you're serious about becoming a Marine. Not everyone can be a musician for the military.

DGardner
01-10-08, 12:36 PM
You WILL NOT be accepted into the Presidents Own with limited experience. They only accept perfection... the BEST OF THE BEST. however, I do think that learning to play an intstrument was one of the best things in my life and would advise you to continue down the path of music. AS LONG AS it doesn't interfere with your PT.

RhylerMarine1
01-10-08, 12:58 PM
Oh - I don't think music will interfere ( unless,I'm stuck playing Beethoven's 5th symphony,for Fur Elise by Mozart,etc).

I don't play well. I know a few keys and actually wrote my own score.It's short and stupid.I named it "Danger" and originally wrote it for my dad's birthday.

Ever since I played it once,its never the same.It just doesn't sound right.I told my dad I must've lost something in the writing.Can't tell though.

I don't sing very well either (I do try), and really admire the big robed choirs.They sing like they're in heaven.I just have to learn I guess.

Thanks for your encouragement too!!

DGardner
01-10-08, 01:45 PM
Hey, just keeping working on it and you'll be one of the top dogs. Everyone who has ever made it big, was at one time a student. Just keeping going and you'll get it.

RhylerMarine1
01-10-08, 02:01 PM
Thanks! Would you mind if I added you to my buddy list??

In my house,I have always had the "either I'm the best or else" mentality.I strive to do that.

I'm a really good student too,averaging A+ to a B. Not bad I think.

When I got a letter from Sgt. Maj. Fenton Reese encouraging me to join if I thought I had what it took to earn the title,I literally JUMPED.

Since then,the Corps has been my dream.Many have tried to talk me out of it.Doesn't work.I am committed to making it come true.

You Marines are my heroes.You have always been and always will.Keep up the good work!

DGardner
01-10-08, 02:08 PM
add away. I just added you. We have mid-week chat on Thursday Nights at 7 pm (eastern? not sure.) and on Sunday Night at that one is at 7 PM Eastern. Just look at the bottom right of the page and click Chat. I encourage you to join us, we usually have some Marine Corps Trivia to help us Wannabe's and Poolee's stay sharp.

The Marines on this site will be an invaluable resource to you. Go ahead and take advantage of it.:thumbup:

kbs95125
01-10-08, 02:18 PM
The President's Own are civilians who are paid ALOT of money to do what they do while being authorized to wear our uniform but they don't go through boot camp or anything like the Marine Corps Band, who are also amazing at what they do.

DGardner
01-10-08, 02:36 PM
The President's Own are civilians who are paid ALOT of money to do what they do while being authorized to wear our uniform but they don't go through boot camp or anything like the Marine Corps Band, who are also amazing at what they do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they, upon being selected, enlisted in the Marine Corps and given the rank of E-6? I've looked at some sites and fromw hat I can determine, that's what happens. It is my understanding that they are non-transferrable and thus, will not be involved in combat, they need not attend Recruit training. so even though they do not attend Recruit Training, they are still technically Marines, and are enlisted as such. Just as band members.

RhylerMarine1
01-10-08, 02:38 PM
OK -thanks.

I would join the chat on Sunday,but I am quarantined on Sundays and most of the time.Its not that my parents don't trust me,(I can babysit) they just don't like the thought of my addiction to the Internet.

I stumbled on your website by accident,while searching for a buddy.I didn't find him,but I found you guys.I couldn't resist and just HAD to join.

If the Thursday chat is 4pm (PST) then I might be able to join.I work a 8-5 shift at the office, and I'm in school the rest of the week desperately finishing school so I can officially graduate. YAY!!

Anyway,thanks for everything.I will keep you updated even when I ship out to Parris Island.

kaboom1371
01-10-08, 04:04 PM
http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/who_we_are/faq/index.htm

looks like they are marines to me. might be reading it wrong?

kaboom1371
01-10-08, 04:13 PM
says they don't go to boot camp because they are not a tactical fighting element and never will be in that possition. but they are marines getting E-6 pay. lots of info about it there.

RhylerMarine1
01-10-08, 04:40 PM
Speaking of musicians in the Corps,do recruits get taught how to play reville,taps and other calls on the bugle anymore?

I think that is one instrument I would like to play-if I suck at the piano.

kbs95125
01-10-08, 04:44 PM
The way my Drill Instrustor had explained it to my platoon was that they are given the pay grade of E-6, given the title of Marine, but unlike other enlisted ranks they didn't go through the same processing as other enlisted members but instead hired. As far as I am concerned they've been given the privilege of wearing the uniform just as I have and should be treated as such.

DGardner
01-10-08, 06:17 PM
With all do respect I wouldn't say they are GIVEN anything. They are some of the finest musicians this country has to offer. They are very proficient in what they do. And go through a rigorous audition process. Granted they don't goto recruit training but they are still Marines.

Wyoming
01-10-08, 06:24 PM
The way my Drill Instrustor had explained it to my platoon was that they are given the pay grade of E-6, given the title of Marine, but unlike other enlisted ranks they didn't go through the same processing as other enlisted members but instead hired. As far as I am concerned they've been given the privilege of wearing the uniform just as I have and should be treated as such.

I guess I learn something everyday.

If they are, as you say, 'hired', can they just quit, what if they go AWOL, what if, what if?

Lotta unanswered questions here.

bucksgted
01-10-08, 06:35 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they, upon being selected, enlisted in the Marine Corps and given the rank of E-6? I've looked at some sites and fromw hat I can determine, that's what happens. It is my understanding that they are non-transferrable and thus, will not be involved in combat, they need not attend Recruit training. so even though they do not attend Recruit Training, they are still technically Marines, and are enlisted as such. Just as band members.
Bingo!! You are correct. In order to get the best, these folks go through a very intensive selection process. If they make it, they are given the S/Sgt rank to begin with. They are Marines, but the contract they sign says they are not deployable and they do not attend bootcamp!! If you ever get the opportunity to attend one of their performances, DO SO. They are awesome performers. I don't recall seeing any CWO's, but plenty of MGySgt's. The last time I saw them was here in Union City and the conductor that evening was a Lt. Col.

kbs95125
01-10-08, 06:54 PM
My understanding was that they don't have the same type of contract obligations as other enlisted folks, so I would assume that they could indeed just quit.

DGardner- Although I understand where you are coming from, I disagree. Yes they do go through a rigorous audition, and yes they are Marines, but as I have said from my understanding of how the Presidents Own is formed, they are sought out and hired rather then processing and enlisting on there own. Therefore it is technically given when compared to the processes enlisted and officers go through. It doesn't change the fact that they are Marines and should be treated as such, but it does establish a difference. Much like a difference between an officer and a mustang. Both are officers, but there is a difference.

bucksgted
01-10-08, 07:04 PM
My understanding was that they don't have the same type of contract obligations as other enlisted folks, so I would assume that they could indeed just quit.
DGardner- Although I understand where you are coming from, I disagree. Yes they do go through a rigorous audition, and yes they are Marines, but as I have said from my understanding of how the Presidents Own is formed, they are sought out and hired rather then processing and enlisting on there own. Therefore it is technically given when compared to the processes enlisted and officers go through. It doesn't change the fact that they are Marines and should be treated as such, but it does establish a difference. Much like a difference between an officer and a mustang. Both are officers, but there is a difference.

They sign a contract!! They cannot just up and quit if they get PO'd. Like Scout/Sniper/Recon, m a n y try, but few are chosen. These folks are musicans of the highest order. They are due the same couresty as any other Staff NCO or Officer.

kbs95125
01-10-08, 07:31 PM
But even if they did sign a contract I would assume that its of a different nature then the one you or I signed, i.e., they could break the obligation with fewer issues...

rvillac2
01-11-08, 12:34 AM
Ok, I gotta add some stuff here:

to the OP. ROTC is a college program. JuniorROTC is high school program which is what I think you're referring to.

Keep in mind that Marine Band and President's Own are separate. Band members are regular Marines with the band MOS and are stationed at several bases. The President's Own are essentially professional musicians and are recruited/hired as such. A past President jokingly said that in an emergency, they will be assigned to defend the White House.

TO ALL THOSE IN SO CAL.
The Drum and Bugle Corps and Silent Drill Platoon will be performing at the Rose Bowl on March 1. I'm taking the family and wearing my colors. Hope to see you there!

Geagle05
01-11-08, 12:42 AM
Hi there-my name's Rhyler.I had a question about the ROTC program.

Two of my cousins went through it at Fullerton High and at FJC,but as far as I know,none of them ever followed up with it,meaning they never actually served.

I would ask them,but I have no contact with them,now 21 and 23.

I heard that if you went through ROTC during high school and gave up your summers,you could bypass boot camp.You could just walk in and BINGO! you're on your way.My best friend told me this.

Now I'm not trying to get around boot camp-I think it will not only be educational but fun and a challenge.

I don't know how true this is,or if my buddy is just lying.I can't find anything that actually says this on any website.

If anyone can verify this info,I would appreciate it.Thank you very much.

Hi Rhyler,

I don't have knowledge on the President's Own, but maybe I can answer some of your questions in your original post.

First, the "ROTC" program in high school is not ROTC but rather JROTC. The difference being that completion of a JROTC program does confer upon you a commission, any enlistment status, or any military obligation.

As far as I know, the JROTC program is there for high school students to get a taste of military culture/values. Whether or not you go onto serve in any of the branches as officer or enlisted is up to you. On the other hand, an ROTC program is a commissioning process. Upon completion of your 4 years in the program and successful completion of 6 weeks at OCS, which is an officer screening process, you will be commissioned as a 2nd Liutenant in the USMCR (provided you are going though a Marine-option program).

If you are looking to go the civilian to officer route (which I assume you are since you are referring to ROTC) than you have 3 different ways to seek commissioning: you can go through ROTC, PLC, or OCC. The Platoon Leaders Course (PLC) differs from ROTC in that you will go through a split 12 week or one full 10 week session of OCS (depending on what year you are in college) during the summer. During the school year, you are not obligated to do any drilling and you are essentially like any other college student. Upon graduation from college you will be given the choice of accepting or denying your commission. This is the program that I am going through, and the best source of information on PLC would be your Officer Selection Officer (OSO). Officer Candidate Course (OCC) is for those already graduated from college. You will go through a 10 week session of OCS and upon completion will receive (or deny) your commission. ROTC is different from these two programs in that you will be immersed in a military setting much like JROTC all throughout your four years of college. Actually, there is one more option to receiving your commission and that is going through the Naval Academy.

From what my OSO told me, about 60% of officers obtain their commission through the PLC program. The rest is through the OCC,ROTC,Naval Academy, or other various enlistment to officer programs.

As far as I know, there is no way to obtain a commission without attending OCS no matter which route you choose. If you wish to enlist all the information is right here on this great website! However, I don't think there's any way to avoid the DI's of Parris Island or San Diego, or the SI's of Quantico :evilgrin: !

Good luck. I hope this info will help you make the right decisions.

JChebahtah
01-11-08, 12:54 AM
If you are in JROTC for at least two years and have the credits to prove it, you can be promoted to E-2 after bootcamp if it's contracted. College ROTC is completely differet, as Geagle05 said.