PDA

View Full Version : Former Marines and Basic Training

davblay
01-10-08, 01:17 AM
I have been out for while now and was just wondering, does a Marine (former if you will) have to go thru any other military basic training if they choose to change services? :confused:

LeonardLawrence
01-10-08, 01:39 AM
I believe it is waived in some instance, such as National Guard, etc.

3077India
01-10-08, 01:47 AM
Part of it has to do with how long you've been out. I've been out for nearly 13 years now and I have to go to Army Basic for the LANG. However, that due to a policy change, those who serve less than 180 days are counted as NON-Prior Service, so technically the LANG considers me to have never served in the military. This fact is advantageous to me in that I don't have to get a prior service waiver.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-10-08, 12:48 PM
I did NOT have to do any sort of 'basic' when I re-enlisted into the Air Guard, however, the AF 'counts' very, very few MOS schools (the MP one is one of the few they do count); so I"ll be heading off to Texas in the Spring for my job skill training.

Not sure on current Army reserves, but when did a 3 year tour with them back in the 90's as an 11B (Infantry) no basic or MOS was required.

hrscowboy
01-10-08, 04:52 PM
WTF army and airforce?? Get your arse back in my Marine Corps even if its in the Reserves. The Corp taught you every thing you know!!!!

foxman
01-10-08, 08:44 PM
My question is: Once you've been a member of the BEST, Why would want to play second string? It takes all the Branches to win the War but it sure is the GREATEST FEELING KNOWING you are a member of THE BEST>>>>

Brereton1345
01-10-08, 11:00 PM
From This Jarhead---marines Kill It All And God Sorts It Out --army Cleans Up After---air Force Puts A Different Smell To It ---and The Navy Brings Us Marines Back Home Again. God Loves Marines

Ooh-rah

LeonardLawrence
01-10-08, 11:03 PM
My question is: Once you've been a member of the BEST, Why would want to play second string? It takes all the Branches to win the War but it sure is the GREATEST FEELING KNOWING you are a member of THE BEST>>>>

AGE comes into play, eventually, for all.

If you can't play first string, it doesn't mean you don't want to help out the team.

RLeon
01-11-08, 12:20 AM
If I were to get back in the military and it couldn't be the USMC, I would join the Na...the Na...the Navy. Why, they're our closest bretheren and assist the Corps directly.
Also I refuse to call a head a latrine, the deck a floor, a hatch the door, Starboard etc.
;) :D

davblay
01-11-08, 12:30 AM
those who serve less than 180 days are counted as NON-Prior Service, so technically the LANG considers me to have never served in the military.

FYI....that's the answer I was looking for! I knew the answer, I was a recruiter for the TNARNG (Tennessee) for 2 years, just wanted to know if that was the same as it used to be!

Thanks my brothers for your responses, but like a lot of my fellow Marines, I usually know the answer to a question before I ask it!

Semper Fi all,

Dave

LeonardLawrence
01-11-08, 12:53 AM
FYI....that's the answer I was looking for! I knew the answer, I was a recruiter for the TNARNG (Tennessee) for 2 years, just wanted to know if that was the same as it used to be!

Thanks my brothers for your responses, but like a lot of my fellow Marines, I usually know the answer to a question before I ask it!

Semper Fi all,

Dave

Darn it Cpl Blay,
We were thinking you were riding the patriotic wave that seems to be going around here and re-upping :D What a tease..

rheinmark187
01-11-08, 02:23 AM
From time to time, the Coast Guard makes Marines go back through boot camp. Depending on length of time out and general fitness.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-11-08, 09:09 AM
Quite frankly, after attempting for over a year to try and get back into the Corps (Reserves) and getting jerked around, screwed over and ignored by my prior service recruiter, who didn't seem to give a crap if I got back in or not, I opted for the Air Guard, who basically enlisted me over a weekend, got me a great school (Bio-Enviormental Engineering), the same pay, benefits, and all that, as I would have gotten as a Marine. Not only that, my promotional chances are far better since the Air Force doesn't care that I was passed over once for SSgt.

Much as I miss being in the Corps, I'm also realistic enough to know that at my age, I'm not cut out to run 3 miles, do the combat PT test, and all that noise. Besides, I've BTDT, with 4 Sea Service Deployment ribbons, 9 years in the FMF, Infantry, Intelligence, Field Radio Operator, Jump Qualified, all the ooh-rah stuff and then some. I got nothing to prove.

I did my army reserve time when there were no USMC units nearby. Just FYI.

Considering I don't have any more obligated service and can sit on my happy arse safe and sound should I choose to, I think I'm doin pretty well.

ggyoung
01-11-08, 10:42 AM
In ITR 1964 we had a squad of Coast Guard with our company. They were all good troops. Never fell out of a march or anything like that.