PDA

View Full Version : Jungle, Mountain and other training questions

BigWayne3000
01-09-08, 08:17 PM
I'm in the Reserves and I am just curious as to whether or not I would be able to do these types of training or if they even still exist. MY father was in the Corps in the early 70s and he did jungle training in I believe Brazil or somewhere in South America. I know they used to have different training schools for these things so I'm not sure if they are still around or not or if a Reservist can evn go to one. Any help is apprciated. Thank you.

BigWayne3000
01-09-08, 08:31 PM
Well I found some topics on here about the winter training and also a site for it but my computer wont d/l the correct certificate for me toview the site so I can not get any info on it. I'm just curious about the Reserve aspect of these schools and whether they are able to do it or if its striclty for AD MArines. Thanks again.

lovdog
01-10-08, 12:26 PM
Big Wayne:

I've been out for quite some time, was AD, so I'm not up to current standards involving additional training requirements.
I would say, if something involves your MOS, you'd have a fair chance at new training techniques. I've always said, whether it be civilian or military - the worst thing a person can tell you is the word "NO"!! So, if you don't ask, you'll never know how far you can go in this world. And, even if you get turned down a dozen times, maybe the 13th will be a "okay - you can go now just get out of my face"! Thats worked for me!!
The MC is part of the Navy also, and the Navy has a bunch of schools that has MC personnel also attending, so don't rule out that approach either. I was originally trained in Aircrew Survival so I went to a Navy school for my training in Lakehurst, NJ. But also, went to Jacksonville, Fla. to learn how to test oxygen systems when a SSGT retired and left us with nobody to take his place - this wasn't even close to my MOS.
The difficult item to get done in any additional training is getting your OIC to sign the papers! And, that depends on how valuable you are at the time at your present job! If they can spare you, it will be easier to get additional schooling - but if you "have" to be there every day to do a certain thing and no one to fill in - then its tough to get any re-assignment without political pull or your uncle is the OIC. Sometimes it depends on being at the right place at the right time.
Besides, your only 21? Ever think about taking the plunge & going AD? Maybe more doors will be open to you?
By the way, I was under the opinion that most Reservists were college bound anyway? If you're thinking about becoming an Officer later on - maybe more doors would spring open - just a thought!
Anyway, I hope you find what you're looking for - whatever that is. Maybe once you get your jungle training dream - you may find out that living with the heat and venonous snakes isn't what its cracked up to be!
Have a nice day!
Lovdog, SF