PDA

View Full Version : Golf clubs ‘fore’ the troops

thedrifter
01-09-08, 07:58 AM
Golf clubs ‘fore’ the troops

Jan. 8, 2008; Submitted on: 01/08/2008 11:59:24 AM ; Story ID#: 200818115924

By Sgt. Michael Knight, MCB Camp Pendleton

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (Jan. 8, 2008) -- Christmas came early to Camp Pendleton Marines when they received 1200 donated golf sets here Dec. 13.

The donations came from Fred Nothdurft and Ed Turman who started a program known as “The Fred and Ed Show.” Jerry Neal, owner of Neal Trucks Inc., donated the services of his truck company to transport the clubs here.

“It is humbling and overwhelming how ordinary citizens are willing to go above and beyond to give to our troops,” said Col. Juan G. Ayala, Chief of Staff, 1st Marine Logistics Group.

The program was spawned in April when Fred and Ed were hunting an opportunity to show their support for U.S. troops. The opportunity came when they received a request from an old friend stationed in Okinawa. He asked for 800 sets of clubs for an upcoming golf tournament.

The duo started their requests at Lakes County Club in Palm Desert, and then spread the request out to various groups in the community. They were able to collect and donate all 800 clubs, making the tournament a success.

“It was easy,” Ed said. “Once people heard we were collecting golf clubs for Marines, the donations poured in.”

Since that day, Fred and Ed collected and donated over 2400 sets of clubs to various bases around the globe. So far their donations have gone to Travis Air Force Base and Marine installations in Twentynine Palms, Barstow, Yuma, Okinawa, Korea, Iraq and now here.

“When Cathy Monroe (general sales manager for Marine Corps Community Services) told us about the program, we asked our students if they would be interested in free golf clubs,” said Gunnery Sgt. Steven Pipes, a company gunnery sergeant for the Advanced Infantry Training Battalion, School of Infantry. “We got a request for 400. There’s no way we could get that many I thought, but ‘The Fred and Ed Show’ delivered. The students are ecstatic and this gesture from the American people has boosted their moral tremendously,” he said.

“What a Christmas gift,” said Pfc. Christopher Kiss, an SOI student from Hammond, La. “I don’t have to spend lots of money trying to find something to do in town every weekend; I now have the option to stay on base and golf.”

Although the program is focused on golf clubs, it has recently been expanded to meet other troop needs. In October, Fred and Ed used their connections and got enough donations to send 60 laptop computers to the troops in Iraq, Fred explained.

“People like Fred and Ed are a great representation of the public’s desire to support us,” Ayala said.

Getting the clubs is the easy part of the Fred and Ed Show mission. They get piles of individual clubs, mixed sets and empty golf bags then spend countless hours sorting cleaning and separating the pile into as many full sets as possible.

“Every time I deliver the clubs, the overwhelming gratitude from the troops give me the energy to do it all over again,” Ed said. “As long as there is a need for clubs ‘The Fred and Ed Show’ will be here to fill it.”

Ellie