PDA

View Full Version : Police officer surprised with Purple Heart won in Iraq

thedrifter
01-08-08, 05:00 AM
Jan 8, 2008

Police officer surprised with Purple Heart won in Iraq

By Anna L. Griffin TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
agriffin@telegram.com

LEOMINSTER— With all of the incumbents returned to office in November’s election, there was only one surprise in last night’s inauguration event held in Tata Auditorium, City Hall.

Police Officer Barry Bouchard, a member of the Leominster Police Department’s honor guard, was awarded the Purple Heart.

“I thought my mother was getting an award,” Officer Bouchard said after the ceremony. “I thought that’s the reason why my entire family was here.” Officer Bouchard received the award during the “community recognition” portion of

the ceremonies.

Mayor Dean J. Mazzarella started the program several years ago to recognize local residents who have made outstanding contributions to the community.

Officer Bouchard’s mother, Sharon Bouchard, is one of the co-founders of the Massachusetts Chapter 1 of the Blue Star Mothers of America.

“I seriously thought she was getting an award,” Officer Bouchard said, shaking his head in disbelief as he looked at the medal, which had been presented to him by U.S. Marine Col. Michael Belcher of the 25th Regimental Command.

Officer Bouchard was injured in a Nov. 29, 2004, mortar attack in Babil province, about 25 miles south of Baghdad, while serving as a sergeant in the Marines.

He said that although he was extremely honored by the award, his thoughts last evening were with the family of the man who was serving with him at the time of the attack, Lance Cpl. Kyle Renehan, who was seriously injured. Lance Cpl. Renehan died 11 days later in a hospital in Germany of his injuries. The 22-year old was from Oxford, Pa.

“The mortar landed about five feet from me, about a foot away from where Kyle was,” Officer Bouchard said.

Members of Mr. Bouchard’s family attending the ceremony were his parents, Sharon and Dennis Bouchard; his sister, Sara Bouchard, who lives in Israel, and his brother, Sgt. Scott Bouchard, who is also a member of the U.S. Marine Corps and is serving in Pensacola, Fla. In addition, about 25 members of the Leominster Police Department were there to see him receive his honor.

They joined 300 others who gathered in the auditorium to view the oath of office administered to the mayor, the City Council and School Committee. Administering the oath was City Clerk Lynn Bouchard. Welcoming remarks were given by state Rep. Jennifer L. Flanagan, D-Leominster, and state Sen. Robert A. Antonioni, D-Leominster.

Mr. Antonioni remarked how blessed the city of Leominster was in so many ways, “especially to have those who step up and look to be counted every two years,” he said.

Musical selections were offered by the Scots Highland Pipe and Drum Band, Fall Brook Songbirds, Alexandra Cummings, Jonathan Wright and members of the cast of “Grease” recently performed by students at Leominster High School.

Also recognized during the event were members of F-Troop, a motorcycle riding club based in the city. Through the years, the club has raised and donated about $100,000 to charitable organizations in the community. Donations have been made to such organizations as the Simonds-Sinon Regional Cancer Care Center, based at UMass Memorial HealthAlliance — Burbank Campus, and Sholan Farms.

Gene Kalajian, owner of Gear Works Cyclery, was honored for his work with the Bikes for Kids program.

Over the past two years, used bicycles have been collected throughout the city. Mr. Kalajian and members of his staff have coordinated a volunteer effort to rehab more than 250 bicycles that were given back to needy children.

“It’s about a $50,000 donation over the two years,” Mr. Mazzarella said.

Mr. Mazzarella did not speak, but handed out copies of a speech to members of the press. A tape of the speech, which he made in his office, was shown on cable television’s local access television.

In his speech he praised members of the military and all volunteers in the city.

Ellie