PDA

View Full Version : Ill. lawmaker, reservist called up for Iraq

thedrifter
01-07-08, 07:50 PM
Ill. lawmaker, reservist called up for Iraq
By Christopher Wills - The Associated Press
Posted : Monday Jan 7, 2008 9:24:45 EST

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — Jim Watson is about to trade in the suit and tie of a state representative for the Kevlar and camouflage of a Marine.

The Jacksonville Republican and Marine reservist is being called to active duty in Iraq. He expects to be in Fallujah by early February.

Watson, 42, served as a combat engineer during the 1991 Gulf War. Last year, he decided to sign up again as a reservist.

“I just felt the urge, the calling. My old unit went a couple times, and it troubled me to sit here while they’re going,” he said.

He learned around Christmas time that he was being called up. This time around, he won’t be a combat engineer. Instead, he’ll be stationed in Fallujah helping Iraqis strengthen their government procedures and services.

Watson said the emphasis will be on working with local tribal institutions rather than on imposing new, American-style governments, as was done in the early years of the war.

“I think it’s safe to say it’s far more complicated than we initially thought. But we’re there, so it’s necessary,” he said. “The last thing we need to do is leave a mess in that part of the world that we created.”

Watson, who is divorced and has three children, has served in the Illinois House for six years.

While overseas, he’ll stay in touch with his legislative office and handle some duties. But other legislators have agreed to help pick up the slack so his district doesn’t suffer during the 270 days he’ll be away.

“It’s been Republicans and Democrats,” he said. “There hasn’t been a lot to be proud of in Springfield the last couple of years, and I would hope people would look at this and say, ‘That’s the way it’s supposed to be — somebody answers the call and the rest of his colleagues step in, regardless of politics.’”

Ellie