PDA

View Full Version : Speed Trap Listings in your area

jetdawgg
01-05-08, 09:49 AM
http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/stetlist.asp

3077India
01-05-08, 10:30 AM
In compiling that list did they actually go to these areas and find out for certain or is this based on statistical analysis of traffic tickets given over a designated period of time? I have my doubts about some places on that list, particularly the ones right around here where I live. :D

3077India
01-05-08, 10:40 AM
In compiling that list did they actually go to these areas and find out for certain or is this based on statistical analysis of traffic tickets given over a designated period of time? I have my doubts about some places on that list, particularly the ones right around here where I live. :DOk, I just saw the red type at the top of that page. :sick:

Marine84
01-05-08, 11:08 AM
hmmmmmm - pretty much hit the nail on the head for my area - hell, I could name a few others myself.

Osotogary
01-05-08, 02:25 PM
Some folks say that if you get speeding once, anywhere, that is a speed trap. LOL. My beef is more with folks that park in NO PARKING AT ANYTIME fire zones.

jetdawgg
01-08-08, 11:23 AM
Hey, I am just trying to inform the USMC family of some situations....:usmc:

3077India
01-08-08, 01:30 PM
Hey, I am just trying to inform the USMC family of some situations....:usmc:and we (at least a few of us) appreciate the effort.:p

mike christy
01-08-08, 02:54 PM
Speed traps in the Communist-wealth of Pennsylvania.....

Any road or trail within view of any law enforcement officer.. :p

montana
01-08-08, 03:09 PM
i never worry bout speed traps....cant get my horse to do over 65

Mytcbra96
01-08-08, 03:26 PM
the ones I checked out here in Florida seemed to be right on. Semper Fi :flag:

Sgt Leprechaun
01-08-08, 03:49 PM
LOL. Some of those are right for my area.

Really, as a copper, I don't have an issue with this. If it gets folks to slow down, great. If not, that's fine too.

I have all the books I could find and read on 'How to beat a speeding ticket" including one written back in the 60's or early 70's. They really helped me as a young officer when I was testifying, and when I became an instructor, used to use pages from them in Radar school.

jetdawgg
01-09-08, 12:45 PM
the ones I checked out here in Florida seemed to be right on. Semper Fi :flag:

No worries Marine. maybe you should print it out and email the link to others...

SF:usmc:

crate78
01-12-08, 09:59 AM
Forty to fifty years ago, Colonial Heights, Virginia was death on Marines.

The story was, the mayor's son got drunk, staggered out into the street, was hit by a car and killed. It just happened to be a Marine driving the car. If you were stopped for any infraction in Colonial Heights, and it became known you were a Marine, you were toast.

So, word was passed that if you were a Marine and drove though Colonial Heights, you religiously drove 5 mph under the speed limit, but not slow enough to impede traffic, and kept an eagle eye out for stop signs, traffic signals and any and all other traffic signs.

crate

gutinstinct
01-12-08, 10:49 AM
Hey, I am just trying to inform the USMC family of some situations....:usmc:Hey jetdawgg. That list is pretty good for south Brooklyn. I cant stand the F*****g photo lights.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-12-08, 11:55 AM
Crate, even as late as the 1980's, Marines at MCAS Beaufort swoopin North were told about Colonial Heights. So it was true then, too.

By the way, I absolutely HATE and despise the 'photo enforcement' camera nonsense. All they are are revenue generators, period.

gutinstinct
01-12-08, 01:18 PM
What's up Jason ? How you been ? It's Urf. I no how you feel pertaining to photo enforcement. Just to give you a heads up. There's a product on the market. When applied to the tag or tags of a vehicle it will distort the photo of ones tag. This product only works at night do to it keying on the flash of the photo enforcement system.

LeonardLawrence
01-13-08, 03:37 AM
Accurate for my area of commuting as well.

Had to laugh at the radar detector articles. Rode an internship with a local S/O a few years ago. We just turned on the radar when we saw the car we were checking. Detectors did no good there.

Also, rode with a deputy. He could sit in his car and guess a cars speed about a 1/4 mile away in the dark by the sound alone. He guessed about 30 times and was off by 1 mile on one guess...it was spooky, but I doubt it would stand up in court.

"Well your honor, according to the sound of the tires on the roadway and due to the fact it was raining I clocked him at 95 with my internal radar"

There is NO way a :tank: goes 95 in a school zone.....

Sgt Leprechaun
01-13-08, 07:19 AM
Actually, in the 'old days', officers used radar units that were massive, impossible to move easily and were stationary units only. Because this was 'new' technology, various courts said (and it pretty much holds true today) that the officer FIRST had to judge the speed of the vehicle visually, then listen for the 'high pitched tone' of the radar unit indicating the vehicle was speeding, THEN look at the radar unit which would confirm the officers judgement.

When I went through radar school in 1989, this is exactly how we were trained. After 40 classroom hours, we were required to go out on the road with an instructor, and judge (read that to be 'guesstimate') the speed of 10 vehicles while stationary, and 10 vehicles while moving. Your judgement of the speed had to be within 2 miles per hour of the speed registered on the radar unit 9 out of 10 times. The one you 'missed' could only be within 5 mph of the speed registered on the unit. If you judged wrong, you didn't pass and didn't run radar.

An officer experienced in running radar and watching traffic can guesstimate (judge) the speed of vehicles very accurately, when you do it all day long, 8-10 hours a day, for months and years at a time. The courts WILL take an officers testimony in regard to speed (by the way, all judges in my state are also certified radar operators so they know how the system works) because of that.

Lastly....the old CHIPs TV show once had a small segment where John and Ponce are observing traffic at a bridge overpass on their bikes. They observe a speeding caddy and stop it, issue a citation for same. The driver, a Texan, is up in arms because he says there is no way they could have got him on radar, and he shows them the tin foil and other radar jamming devices on his car. John looks at him and says "It's illegal in California to use radar, sir....we are citing you based on our professional observations of your speed....sign here....".

Osotogary
01-13-08, 09:21 AM
There's a product on the market. When applied to the tag or tags of a vehicle it will distort the photo of ones tag.

In the Feb.08 edition of Road and Driver there is and ad for the product that is,I believe, the same one you mentioned, gutinstinct. It's called "Photo Blocker". The add states.. "that it is practically impossible for police to spot plates that have been treated with the reflective spray. And in many jurisdictions there is no specific rule that says your tag must be photogenic."
I don't know what this means but the two license plates that are shown in the ad are from Florida and Maryland.

willymarshall
02-14-08, 08:41 AM
hey "Osotogary" i always wanted such a topic posted where u can inquire about speed traps. Speed Traps what the hell i m a person who loves to flow with the wind on the road don't want these bloody cops to interfere http://www.tomtomforums.com/images/smilies/mad.gif tell me how does these sounds you provided work i want to be saved from the cops one my friend also suggested me some thing called trapster (http://www.trapster.com). do you have some info about it too. Plz brother it would be a help from your side http://www.tomtomforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif