PDA

View Full Version : preparing for itb

garman
01-03-08, 03:22 PM
I just graduated boot camp and I'm getting ready to go to SOI in a few weeks. Does anybody have any helpful hints on preparing myself physically for the challenges of ITB? I heard its more physical than boot and I wanna be able to perfom at my best. Can anybody help me out?

Crusader20
01-03-08, 04:23 PM
be ready for anything. You will slowly start the 12 mile to 15 mile humps. I suggest that you get some good inserts for your boots and take lots of mortin. Otherwise, grind and bear it! Should have choose a different MOS if your worried.

garman
01-04-08, 02:30 PM
thanx for the advise, im not worried, i just wanna be the best

hawks
01-04-08, 03:49 PM
get used to eating 10-15 MRE's a week - even up to the day before graduation. Its not that bad, it goes by fast because you're in the field.

aspinwc
01-04-08, 05:07 PM
Boot camp should have gotten you mentally and physically capable of succeeding. Don't get me wrong, its no cake walk. Respect your NCOIC's and don't go boozing to much on libo. You'll be fine. Semper Fidelis.

hawks
01-04-08, 05:32 PM
id suggest LA for the weekends, and just getting beligerent!

SlingerDun
01-04-08, 05:57 PM
Does anybody have any helpful hints on preparing myself physically for the challenges of ITB?Yes get outside and hike for miles with a full ruck. Find a topo map and compass and learn how to use them if you have the time. It builds outback confidence.

You know what? You can buy hiking socks with extra cushion and built in blister guard that make your feet so cozy it will bring a smile to your face. Find the right color and length and nobody will suspect your out of uniform. The best prices i've found are at Sierra Trading Post online.

Motrin thats a good idea for one who sleeps on the cold hard ground.

--->Dave

Accord
01-04-08, 07:59 PM
If you had trouble on the humps at boot camp, then your life is going to be a living hell at SOI. In my company, guys who fell out of humps got libbo taken away, recycled back in training, and all sorts of trash.

Humping is the biggest thing, especially if you get a weapons MOS. As long as you never fall out, SOI will be a cakewalk, at times it can seem like phase 4 boot camp but it's all a game. There is a lot of white space time at SOI, you'll have a 2 hour class in the morning and then do NOTHING until 2200 when lights go out, so you better hope you have instructors who wants to train instead of play **** **** games. I had great instructors, but other platoons just got ****ed with all the time.

Learn the basics, start counting down the days until you become a fleet Marine, and then the real training will begin.

249gunner
01-05-08, 07:17 AM
Like CPL aspinwc said, bootcamp prepared you. SOI will just take things to the next level. You'll run alot faster, hump farther and shoot more rounds than ever.SOI does everything bootcamp failed to do.

garman
01-14-08, 12:50 PM
good to go, thanks guys. im packing up my trash today and heading out tomorrow