PDA

View Full Version : More than just decorations

thedrifter
01-03-08, 07:56 AM
More than just decorations

KEVIN FORSYTHE
January 3, 2008 - 2:49AM
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Visitors to Camp Lejeune's Main Exchange this holiday season could see countless holiday decorations throughout the facility. But right next to Santa Claus sat three decorated trees that carried special meanings.

Two trees placed by the Beirut Memorial Chapter 642 of the Military Order of the Purple Heart and another by Rolling Thunder honored those killed or missing in action.

A dozen members of the MOPH gathered Wednesday at the main exchange lobby to take down the pair of snow-white Christmas trees the organization put up to honor those killed in action.

Along with traditional white lights and garland, the trees were decorated with 351 purple and gold handpainted glass balls. Each ball contained the name of Marine, Navy and Army personnel from area bases who were killed in action during the past three years.

The memorial trees were first seen three years ago at Onslow Caregivers' annual Festival of Trees after organizers of the festival contacted the MOPH to see if they would be interested in submitting a tree.

The tree was such a hit that it now is a showcased part of the event. Once the festival is over, the trees are moved to the Main Exchange for the remainder of the holiday season.

But the effort put into the display goes far beyond serving as a holiday decoration.

"We do this for a number of reasons," said retired Navy Corpsman Verl Matthews, junior vice commander of MOPH. "But it primarily is a way for us to show that freedom is not free and that this is the price of our freedom."

Darcy Siebert, wife of Capt. Todd Siebert, was on hand to receive the ornament bearing her husband's name. An operations officer, Capt. Siebert was killed last February in Iraq.

"I'm very proud of my husband and his service to our country," said Siebert.

"All you have to do is look around my home and you'll see that I have everything he ever got from the Marines displayed on my walls," she said as she carefully placed the ornament in a box.

While displayed at the Main Exchange, the MOPH trees flanked a third tree on display.

For the second year, Rolling Thunder's Jacksonville chapter also decorated a tree. Their tree honored 44 MIAs from North Carolina.

Dog tags with the name of each MIA were hung with black ribbons. In addition, the tree had 44 silver balls symbolizing the families of the missing.

The Rolling Thunder tree is the only MIA tree of its kind in North Carolina, according to retired Master Sgt. Hank Hangsleben.

"We do it because we will never forget," said Hangsleben, of Rolling Thunder. "The tree is one more way we can keep these names in the public eye."

All five service branches were also represented on the Rolling Thunder tree through handpainted ornaments depicting the crest of each branch.

Rolling Thunder's POW/MIA tree will not be packed away for long. The tree is slated to be a year-round display at Southern Comforts Gift Shop in Jacksonville.

Passersby during the dismantling of the trees would have noticed that the work was being performed primarily by retired service personnel - with two exceptions.

Master Sgt. Jamie Roberto was there.

"I have friends whose names are listed here, and it's an honor to help," said Roberto.

Passing on the importance of having special places for those who have sacrificed so much was also evident in Roberto having his son on hand to help.

"This is a special time of year and the people identified on these ornaments have made special sacrifices," Roberto said. "I want my son to be very aware of that."

Contact military reporter Kevin Forsythe at kforsythe@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8449.

Ellie