PDA

View Full Version : Recent new Marines among 100 from area

thedrifter
01-03-08, 07:43 AM
Recent new Marines among 100 from area

By CHANTE DIONNE WARREN
Advocate staff writer
Published: Jan 3, 2008 - Page: 1E

Even while the nation is at war abroad, Craig Spinks, 18, and Garrett Ezell, 19, joined the Marines with no regrets.

“A lot of people graduate from high school or college, but to have the pride and motivation to step up during a time of war,” is a feeling of accomplishment, said Pfc. Spinks, who graduated from 12 weeks of boot camp in December.

The possibility of being deployed to Iraq does not weigh on Pfc. Ezell, he said. “It’s not like I didn’t know what I signed up for.

“Serving is not something you’re forced to do, you choose to,” said Ezell, who graduated from boot camp in August.

Marine Corps enlistments from Baton Rouge and surrounding parishes have made the Baton Rouge recruitment substation the top producing recruitment office in the state and western Mississippi, said Master Sgt. Terry Hall, detachment commander at the Recruiting Substation on Jefferson Highway.

From October 2006 through September 2007, there were 129 Baton Rouge recruits, and of those, 105 attended boot camp training in Parris Island S.C., Hall said. One hundred of those, including 2007 Parkview Baptist High graduates Ezell and Spinks, successfully completed recruit training and earned the title Marine, Hall said.

“These are some of the largest numbers throughout the entire Marine Corps as well,” he said.

The U.S. Marines Corps is the smallest branch of service, only 12 percent of the military, Hall said.

However, the people who join are serious about serving, Hall said. “This generation of kids are very patriotic and they feel a sense of duty. They know there’s a lot going on throughout the world, and they are on board with that and they definitely want to do their part in making a difference.”

Spinks is an active-duty Marine. Ezell is a reserve duty Marine.

“It’s the best feeling I’ve had in my entire life,” Spinks said of competing his training. “You’ve accomplished what you came to do.”

Ezell agreed. “I’ve always wanted to join the military. I grew up in a pretty patriotic family.”

The process of joining the Marines begins with new recruits joining the delayed-entry program, which gives them a heads-up on what to expect in the military and even what they need to do to complete high school and keep up their grades, Hall said.

Boot camp is perhaps the toughest hurdle to cross for aspiring Marines. Spinks and Ezell, who were members of Parkview High’s wrestling team, talked about their first days and nights in boot camp where they woke up in the wee morning hours to prepare for the day.

“We were up at 3:30 a.m. and eating by 4 a.m.,” Ezell said. “You are up in formation and outside fully dressed in 10 minutes.”

On the first night of boot camp Spinks asked himself, “What am I doing here?” he said.

But the reasons became clear, Ezell said. “Once you understand it’s for a reason by week nine or 10, you’re in it because you know I’m supposed to,” Ezell said.

The boot campers also ate three meals usually consisting of fish, chicken and pasta, with rarely any snacks or junk foods. “There are no big and buff guys coming out of boot camp,” Spinks said.

Ezell agreed. “When you get out, you’re in shape.”

In addition, the men had to train in the heat and the cold.

But walk away? “No way. I was too close to becoming a Marine to walk away,” Spinks said.

Recruits who complete the culmination of boot camp, called “the crucible,” in which they are put through strenuous testing and challenges, are rewarded with a pin, eagle globe and an anchor. They also are rewarded with a “warrior’s breakfast,” said Spinks, who ate steak and eggs and drank Mountain Dew.

Ezell is certain his friend will go far. “As a Marine, Craig is going to go as far as he can,” he said. “He will retire at the top.”

Spinks is optimistic for Ezell. “We’ve been buddies since eighth-grade. Garrett is hard core. He puts out his best. He’s my boy. He’s got my back whenever. If I need anything, he’ll be there. As a Marine, he’ll be the best.”

Spinks plans to attend Marine Combat Training Camp in North Carolina in mid-January. Ezell, who is attending Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond, is assigned to the 323rd Weapons Company and plans to attend officers training sometime this year.

Ellie