PDA

View Full Version : 3 Rolling Meadows pals ready for Iraq

thedrifter
01-03-08, 07:21 AM
3 Rolling Meadows pals ready for Iraq
By Colleen Thomas | Daily Herald Staff
Published: 1/3/2008 12:12 AM

For a small suburb, Rolling Meadows is making a big statement in Iraq this month.

Two of its longtime families are sending three Marines to their first overseas assignment.

Pfc. Marcus Brightwell, 21, leaves Sunday for Camp Pendleton in California. Brothers Lance Cpl. Brian Wiebe, 23, and Lance Cpl. Mike Wiebe, 20, follow the next day.

They ship out to Iraq about two weeks later.

"I'm extremely proud. I couldn't be prouder," said the brothers' father, Brian Wiebe Sr.

The three reservists are being deployed together, and while they share a battalion number, their paths to Iraq have been a bit different.

In fact, while Brian was training this fall, he was startled to see Marcus' name on a room a few doors down the hall.

"I really didn't know that he went in until we got activated," Brian said. He said it was a pleasant surprise to see someone who had grown up just a few blocks away from him serving with him.

The big decision

Mike, the youngest, has been a Marine the longest. He enlisted right after high school graduation, following four of his buddies.

"For Michael to decide to join right after high school, that's a real tough decision to make," his dad said.

But Mike saw it as a natural progression.

"When we were younger we were always running around playing and shooting each other. You could see the writing on the wall," he said.

Older brother Brian had finished nearly three years of schooling toward a criminal justice degree last spring when he decided it was time for a new challenge.

He plans eventually to finish school and perhaps use new skills he's gained in the military as a radio operator in a job.

"It was a good way to get some training most other people might not have," Brian said.

For Marcus, the Marine Corps is a family tradition. An uncle and both grandfathers are veterans, one having served on Iwo Jima in World War II.

Marcus began boot camp in May at Parris Island, S.C.

"He got special permission to go there because both of his grandfathers and uncle went there," said his mother, Terri Brightwell.

The camp is noted for its heat and humidity. It was especially high during what's called the "Crucible" -- 54 hours of endurance tests and little sleep. Even a drill sergeant had to leave in an ambulance.

"Marcus' platoon was the only one that went out with all of their men and returned with all of their men," she said.

Call-up comes quick

The Marines didn't wait long to call up Marcus, who finished training and returned home in the fall.

"Two days later, we got a phone message on our machine that he was to report the next day," Terri Brightwell said. "It surprised all of us."

Marcus feels ready, however. "I knew I'd go eventually."

His mom recalls: "I asked him how he felt about going to Iraq -- not that he had a choice. He said, 'Well I signed up for this.' He's got a good attitude. He believes in his freedom, and he's carrying on what his grandfathers and uncle did."

Having two boys in Iraq certainly doubles the pride for Brian Wiebe Sr., but, "you do have concerns when you hear what's going on over there."

Family togetherness

The Marines don't have a policy prohibiting family members from serving together, said spokesman Maj. Jay Delarosa.

"It's not uncommon to have family members in the same units," he said. "There's cousins, brothers, fathers and sons out there, and sometimes folks cross paths in a war zone."

As long as it's OK with the family, the military doesn't interfere, Delarosa said.

Mike's not worried. He is trained for infantry; his brother's in communications. "We're in completely different companies, so it's a small chance we'd be on the same battlefield," he said.

To say the three are psyched might be an understatement. Still, fears nag a bit -- concerns for the families they're leaving, the dangers they'll face.

War has changed

Their final training at Twenty-nine Palms in California was specific to soldiers headed for Iraq. It was also the most difficult, Mike said. "It was nonstop work, from 5 a.m. until 11 or 12 at night."

Mike said it wasn't what he had expected, because the nature of the war has changed. "It's more on how to treat the people of Iraq," he said. The recruits even learned a little Arabic.

"We're more like a show of force now. … You feel a little like a policeman," Mike said. "They trained us for every situation you could be in."

The families plan to stay in contact via the Internet; Marcus got a Blackberry for his birthday just for that.

The men's ticket home from Iraq is open-ended. Marcus said he is hoping to be back in August, but his mother is more cautious.

"I always tell everybody 'subject to change,'" she said. "With the military you no longer own your life."

Ellie