PDA

View Full Version : Orlando-area Marines to deploy for 11th Iraq tour

thedrifter
01-03-08, 07:16 AM
Orlando-area Marines to deploy for 11th Iraq tour

Darryl E. Owens

Sentinel Staff Writer

January 3, 2008

Lance Cpl. Laud Smith was easy to spot Wednesday among the people crowding the Armed Forces Reserve Center in Orlando.

The 20-year-old Marine reservist from Orlando was surrounded by 17 family and friends, who clung close to him as he said goodbye before his first deployment to Iraq.

"If I come back missing anything, they'll take the rest from me," Smith said, half-joking, glancing at his supporting cast that included his parents, three sisters and his fianc�, Maricely Figueroa, 18.

The scene was almost a routine one for Orlando's Company A, 6th Motor Transport Battalion, 4th Marine Logistics Group, the first Central Florida reserve unit to ship out in the new year. It merely was another year, another deployment.

The 300-strong unit has deployed 11 times to Iraq since 2003. Bound for Marine Air Ground Task Force Training Command Twentynine Palms in California, the group will train four to six weeks before serving a seven-month stint in Iraq in support of the First Marine Expeditionary Force.

Their job: shuttling supplies, ammunition and soldiers from Al Anbar province.

This group of 40 Marines joins 60 from the 6th Motor Transport currently in Iraq. Despite the frequency of the unit's deployments, this time only 10 people previously have been deployed with the 6th Motor Transport Battalion, said Capt. E.J. Wunderlich, unit spokesman.

The unit served in Kuwait and Iraq before the start of the war in March 2003. It has taken casualties, and in 2005 buried one of its own, Warrant Officer Charles Wells, 32. The Orange County firefighter died during his third tour of duty in Iraq when his Humvee rolled over a land mine.

The climate has cooled since those first deployments, Wunderlich said.

"Things are getting safer in Anbar province nowadays. There's more stability; things are getting better," Wunderlich said.

Such affirmations were cold comfort, however, to families reminiscing, snapping photos, soaking up every moment, never daring to say this might be their last time together.

"Coming back home . . . in one piece," Smith said, when asked his thoughts.

As is custom with these send-offs, the detachment gathered for photos around an American flag. In her red T-shirt stamped with USMC, Lance Cpl. Michelle Hernandez, 28, stood out in a sea of men.

She joined the Marine Reserve because "there's a war going on," and with her first deployment, she said she is "pretty excited and satisfied that I'm going to make a difference." Hernandez will serve as a driver in Iraq.

Just before 2 p.m., the Marines lugged the last of their gear to the bus and then fell into lingering embraces.

"C'mon, let's go, let's go," barked 1st Sgt. Tyrone Filer. "Let's wrap it up."

That was tough for Cpl. Ruben Bermudez, 30. He joined the Reserve four years ago, but his first deployment marks his first extended time away from his wife, Leslie, and their 18-month-old daughter, Avari.

"It's probably one of the hardest things to deal with, but we're Marines and we know the duty ahead," he said. "I'm a [noncommissioned officer], so I have to take care of my Marines. I'm sad right now, but at the same time shifting my mentality to take care of my Marines and making sure everyone comes home safe."

As Avari cried and tried to leap from her mother's arms, Bermudez took one last glance, turned and then disappeared into the bus.

Darryl E. Owens can be reached at dowens@orlandosentinel.com

Ellie