PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Marines rebuilding Fallujah

thedrifter
01-03-08, 07:14 AM
U.S. Marines rebuilding Fallujah
Published: Jan. 2, 2008 at 4:37 PM

FALLUJAH, Iraq, Jan. 2 (UPI) -- Three years after Operation al-Fajr rocked the Iraqi city of Fallujah, U.S. Marines have returned to help in reconstruction efforts as locals slowly return.

There was no U.S. military presence in Fallujah prior to April 2004, allowing insurgents and other militants to build up their defenses. This left Iraqi forces led by Marines with the I Marine Expeditionary Force to go house-by-house in one of the most violent operations in the Iraqi campaign.

Marines with the 3rd Battalion returned to Fallujah less than three months ago to finish the job, but this time the effort focuses on security and reconstruction, a release by the II Marine Expeditionary Force said Wednesday.

"In 2004, our main goal was clearing out the city and getting rid of all insurgent presence," said Sgt. Mario Tabarracci with 2nd platoon. "Now, the whole war has pretty much changed. I mean I haven't even fired a shot yet and it's been almost three months."

Marine battalions toil long hours to build new water towers and businesses in an effort to show Iraqis they are there for assistance.

Officials estimate upward of 30,000 Iraqis moved back to Fallujah as the heightened level of security permits a greater quality of life for the Iraqi people.

Ellie