PDA

View Full Version : To all the Math Wizards out there

SSgt Blue
01-02-08, 08:42 PM
What single factor made the Hindu-Arabic number system superior (also called a Algorism)?

Clue me in

:mad:

yellowwing
01-02-08, 08:45 PM
Zero?

SSgt Blue
01-02-08, 08:48 PM
The invention of Zero? That is a choice?

yellowwing
01-02-08, 08:51 PM
Okay, I'm just guesssng. Give a pouge a break.

SSgt Blue
01-02-08, 08:53 PM
Lol

gutinstinct
01-02-08, 08:55 PM
What ????????? LOL

Phantom Blooper
01-02-08, 08:59 PM
Decimal?

Osotogary
01-02-08, 10:12 PM
Algorism is the technique of performing basic arithmetic by writing numbers in place value form and applying a set of memorized rules and facts to the digits. This system largely superseded earlier calculation systems that used a different set of symbols for each numerical magnitude and in some cases required a device such as an abacus.

Starting with the integer arithmetic developed in India using base 10 notation, Arabian mathematicians documented new arithmetic methods and made many other contributions to decimal arithmetic. These included the concept of the decimal fractions as an extension of the notation, which in turn led to the notion of the decimal point.

The word algorism comes from the name al-Khwarizmi ("the one from Khwarizm") of an early 9th century Persian mathematician, possibly from what is now Khiva in western Uzbekistan. In English, it was first used about 1230 and then by Chaucer in 1391[1]. Another early use of the word is from 1240, in a manual titled Carmen de Algorismo composed by Alexandre de Villedieu. It begins thus:

“ Haec algorismus ars praesens dicitur, in qua Talibus Indorum fruimar bis quinque figuris. ”

"Algorism is the art by which at present we use those Indian figures, which number two times five."

The word devolved into the modified form algorithm, with a generalization of the meaning to any set of rules specifying a computational procedure. Occasionally algorism is also used in this generalized meaning, especially in older texts.

Zulu 36
01-02-08, 10:31 PM
The word algorism comes from the name al-Khwarizmi ("the one from Khwarizm") of an early 9th century Persian mathematician, possibly from what is now Khiva in western Uzbekistan. In English, it was first used about 1230 and then by Chaucer in 1391[1]. Another early use of the word is from 1240, in a manual titled Carmen de Algorismo composed by Alexandre de Villedieu. It begins thus:

This all makes me feel better. For a bit I thought Al Gore invented mathematics along with the Internet. :D

LeonardLawrence
01-03-08, 12:28 AM
Wow....you boys sure do talk all smart and such.....

Osotogary
01-03-08, 03:28 AM
Wow....you boys sure do talk all smart and such....

I am not that smart, if smart at all, LeonardLawrence. I just happened to refer to wikipedia on Al Gore's internet. LOL.
Along time ago it was told to me that, in days passed, one would have to memorize everything but now with so much information almost instant at one's disposal it became better just to memorize cataloged references for the information that one would need. I did that even though there was a Webster's Dictionary two feet away from me.

sparkie
01-03-08, 07:39 AM
I took my shoes off, it didn't help. Must be an algorism.

SSgt Blue
01-03-08, 09:31 AM
Thanks Guys