PDA

View Full Version : Volunteers help repair vet's home

thedrifter
01-01-08, 08:17 AM
Volunteers help repair vet's home

AMANDA HICKEY
December 31, 2007 - 12:42AM
DAILY NEWS STAFF

When Michelle Powell first entered retired Marine Gunnery Sgt. Mike Coleman's home, she was amazed.

There were holes in the floor where Coleman, 67, and his wheel chair fell through; the ceiling was falling down; there was nothing left of the front door; "and the smell, oh my lord the smell, you had to cover your nose," she said.

Powell is part of a group of former and active duty military who are working to repair Coleman's home. Her husband, Allan, a master gunnery sergeant, met Coleman when he asked for help in early November.

"When I fell through the kitchen floor, I thought, 'You need to get rid of the Irish pride, Mike, and ask for help," Coleman said.

So far, the floor has had carpet replaced in the den and linoleum through the kitchen and hallway, the house has been re-roofed, and a lot of cleaning has been done, she said.

When they arrived, Coleman was sleeping in a dark back bedroom. Now, Coleman has a new set-up in the front room complete with a bed, secretary for his desktop Dell and chairs for him and guests. There was even a Christmas tree and wreath.

"I have not been this happy in 20 years," Coleman said.

For Coleman, receiving help from the Marine Corps was amazing.

"I've been gone for 30 years and they came through," the Vietnam veteran said.

"There's no words in any language that explains how I feel," he said, noting that he didn't expect as much help as he has received. He expected for someone to maybe fix the roof.

"I haven't been depressed since the first time one of them came out and said something. My spirits are through the roof," he said.

"I haven't been like this in a long time. I was just waiting to go."

Getting used to his new digs has been an interesting road, he said.

After the first day of repairs and when everyone had gone home, Coleman was walking up the dark hall. He'd just taken his medicine and was groggy, he said.

"I looked and all I saw was this bright light and I thought, 'Well, you made it, you must have done something right,'" he said laughing, noting that having the walls painted instead of wallpapered brightened up the house.

"It's a palace. I'd even invite the queen over," he said, laughing.

Before the repairs began, Coleman didn't want anyone in his home.

"I'd stand at the door and say 'What do you want?' I was ashamed because I couldn't do the work anymore myself. It gets to where you look in the mirror and yell at yourself," he said.

A few area businesses have donated supplies, or money for supplies, in order to help fix Coleman's home. Jacksonville Building Supplies and Affordable Home Repairs donated $250 each to supplies, while Seashore Construction donated shingles for the roof. "Itchy" Popkin donated carpet and linoleum, Powell said.

Some materials are coming from base housing while others are coming from the Courthouse Bay Engineer School, from which students and teachers have been coming to help, she said.

While a lot of work has been completed, there's still a lot to do in the four-bedroom home, Powell said.

The group hopes to take Coleman's two small bathrooms and create one large handicapped-accessible bathroom. The four bedrooms will be cleaned out, and a wheelchair ramp will be added to the front porch, she said.

For Powell, the transformation in Coleman since the repairs began make the work worthwhile.

"I think it's wonderful to see a man who was so desperate for help and too proud to ask. It's so fulfilling," she said.

When she first met Coleman, "he was quiet. I would say slightly embarrassed. He was polite and kind, but I had the sense of 'I really don't want you in here.' Now, he's like 'Come on in.' He's got a sense of pride back in him. He's a much happier man. ... Now he's full of life, maybe trying to make plans of his own. I hope that's what this has done for him. 67 is still young," she said.

"There's a sense of pride knowing that you have helped someone who needed it."

Knowing that so few of a military community are willing to help, however, upsets her.

"There's no reason for a Vietnam veteran, who gave years of service, to sit in a dungeon - that's what he called it - and live like that," she said, noting that when her husband first saw the house he was at a loss and leery of letting her in to help.

"I'm just disgusted that it's your military community and not your civilian community. I mean, if it's not the military, who helps the civilian community?" she asked.

Despite being upset with how few who were willing to help, Powell is glad that she and the others have volunteered their time, services and money.

"That's what's done it: community. We've become one big family out there helping him. We've officially adopted him as Grandpa Coleman," she said.

They also still are trying to find "parents" for four of 11 puppies that were at the house. The three tan and one black and white Jack Russell terrier mix pups are free to a good home.

"They're lead free, made in America," Coleman said.

"And they're cute," Powell added.

Contact Amanda Hickey at ahickey@freedomenc.com or 910-353-1171, ext. 8463.

Ellie