PDA

View Full Version : Marines earned right to solicit for `Tots' at retailer

thedrifter
12-30-07, 09:09 AM
VOICES
Marines earned right to solicit for `Tots' at retailer
VANESSA WILLIS

We received a letter before Christmas from reader Thomas Melton of Lake Wylie, S.C., that gave me goosebumps:

"...My wife, son and I went to the Super Target to do some Christmas shopping in RiverGate Shopping Center in Charlotte. Upon looking for a space at the far end of the lot, I saw uniformed U.S. Marines stuck in an obscure corner, collecting for Toys for Tots. It was cold and they were standing beside a military vehicle in the rain.

I spoke to them and paid for some hot coffee for these heroes. I inquired as to why they were so far away from entrance of the store, not under the awning there, and near the people. They told me it is the policy of Target not to let them be there.

I was furious and I am still angry about it. The USMC is a fine organization of men and women who protect us all, as do all of our armed forces. They deserve better, especially as they are trying to help needy kids at Christmas."

Marine Sgt. Casey Ragar, Charlotte-area coordinator for Toys for Tots, confirmed that the Marines Melton met were turned away by Super Target at RiverGate. Another Marines group was turned away at the Super Target at Afton Ridge in Concord.

Michael Krueger, a Target Corp. spokesman, referred me to the solicitation policy posted online:

"In order to provide a distraction-free shopping environment for our guests, we do not allow solicitation or petitioning at our stores regardless of the cause being represented."

I understand why Target has an across-the-board "no" policy. It's easier than trying to defend why only some groups are allowed. But a lot of good can come out of the gray areas between red tape, and these Marines deserved a chance to help.

Toys for Tots is the largest national toy collection agency and is a nonprofit organization run by the Marine Corps Reserve, Ragar says. It's a clearinghouse, providing toys to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, hundreds of area churches and even individual families.

It counts on radio stations and other media to let folks know where the toy collection sites are.

"We just stand there and collect donations. We don't ever stop anyone and ask for money or anything," Ragar says. "That would go against our code."

Morning drive show host Paul Schadt of 96.9 FM The Kat had urged listeners to participate in the Dec. 14-16 collection at the two Target stores. He said he wasn't sure whether the station's promotions department knew about Target's corporate policy or had contacted the local stores to ask for permission.

Schadt says he visited the Concord collection site and went into Target to ask to make an announcement over the store's speaker system. He worried that shoppers wouldn't see the collection area some 75 yards away from the store in a side parking lot.

"The folks there were very nice and went up the chain at the store, and tried to reach an area supervisor," he says. "But they couldn't help us because their corporate regulations don't allow anyone to solicit."

He said the station will look for more accommodating locations next year.

"It would've been helpful to be closer, but if that's their policy, that's all they can do," he said. "It's a shame, though, because they made some money because we were there. I personally probably spent close to $1,500 myself in the store, buying toys for the drive. Some people also gave us money to go in and buy toys, and we probably spent another $600."

Other big box chains including Wal-Mart and Harris Teeter use an application process to screen and schedule groups that want to solicit at their stores.

"There has to be some order and some fairness to it so we can help as many people as possible," said Sharon Weber, a Wal-Mart corporate spokesperson. "We have limits of no more than three consecutive days and a maximum of 14 days a year for each group. The Salvation Army is the only group we allow to be out longer."

Weber also said that "Wal-Mart considers working with charitable organizations a privilege."

Turning away bell ringers

Target caught some heat in 2004 when it began universally enforcing the no-solicitation policy and turned away Salvation Army bell ringers for the first time. The decision drew protests from angry customers across the country who sent e-mails demanding a boycott.Target then began donating $1 million to the Salvation Army annually, according to its Web site.

It also sells seasonal, fundraising merchandise including CDs and Christmas ornaments with proceeds going to the nonprofit group, Target spokesman Krueger said.

Again, all good. But they could do more.

Krueger also says the corporation is heavily involved in charity efforts, and has given 5 percent of its income back to communities since 1946.

"That adds up to over $3 million every week," he said.

A large portion of the money retained locally goes to schools in the Charlotte region, Krueger said, adding that in 2007 Target donated $92,000 to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.

Other efforts Target supported this year included law enforcement programs such as "Shop with a Cop," the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Explorers Christmas Project and National Night Out events, he said.

All good things, indeed. But they could do more.

Last week, a computer glitch at the Super Target store in Mooresville shut down the freezers in its grocery section. The store donated all of that food -- enough to fill an 18-foot tractor-trailer truck twice -- to local charities.

Bravo.

Military deserves better

It's still shameful that active-duty Marines showed up to collect toys in Steele Creek and Concord and were shooed away. They were trying to help about 12,000 local kids who otherwise might not have had presents on Christmas.

When Target wouldn't give up 10 feet of sidewalk space, the Marines were made to stand in the rain, and out in the cold.

Thankfully, some shoppers stopped at both stores and brought coffee and snacks to the Marines. Kudos to them for showing some decency and kindness.

Target should take a lesson. Military folks deserve better treatment, especially in time of war.

Melton, 38, a sales manager for an industrial camera company, was still upset when I reached him. He said he plans to contact Target's corporate offices in Minneapolis.

"These men and women are willing to fight and die for our country," Melton said. "They come home and are treated this way when they're trying to help local children? I don't care what Target's policy is for other groups. When it comes to the U.S. military, they should make an exception."

voices Vanessa

Willis
Vanessa Willis writes about life on the south side every Thursday and Sunday. To reach her: 704-358-6009, or vwillis@charlotteobserver.com.

Ellie