PDA

View Full Version : Support is available for father in the military

thedrifter
12-29-07, 07:11 AM
Support is available for father in the military

December 29, 2007

BY ARMIN BROTT

MCCLATCHY-TRIBUNE NEWS SERVICE

Dear Mr. Dad: My wife and I are expecting our first child. The problem is that I'm in the U.S. Marine Corps on tour in Iraq. I have been here since the beginning of the pregnancy and I might not be there for the birth of our child. My wife is having a hard time doing this on her own and I feel that there's nothing I can do to support her. Do you know of any resources specifically aimed at military dads and their families?

A: There are more than 700,000 children younger than 5 in military families who are separated from their father or mother. As a former U.S. Marine myself, my heart goes out to all of them. Here are some great resources you and your wife can use to get the support you need. I'm also including some tips on staying in touch with the kids and maintaining relationships while away.

Advertisement

• Military OneSource and Military Homefront. Two sites run by the Department of Defense that offer valuable resources for deployed parents and their families. www.militaryonesource.com and wwwhttp://.militaryhomefront.dod.mil.

• Marine Parents. Great resources for Marines and their families. www.marinedads.org.

• Operation Homefront. A national nonprofit providing emergency assistance and support to troops and their families and to wounded troops when they return home. www.operationhomefront.net and www.cinchouse.com.

• Go high-tech. Before you deploy, buy an inexpensive webcam and a good DVD burner. That way, your family can keep you in the loop by sending audio or video recordings of life at home. Or they can create a Web site and post movies, songs, report cards, etc. Depending on where you're stationed, you may be able to use programs like the U.S. Army's Knowledge Online, which allows soldiers to create video messages and e-mail a link back home.

• Go low-tech. Before you leave, write a bunch of messages for your kids and hide them around the house in unexpected places. If your child can't read yet, put all the messages in a special basket. Your partner can read a new one to your child every day, or your child can take one out anytime she wants a virtual hug.

• Talk with your kids before you leave. Explain to them what's happening and why.

Contact Armin Brott, http://www.mrdad.com.

Ellie