PDA

View Full Version : Students backing soldiers with letters

thedrifter
12-27-07, 07:34 AM
Students backing soldiers with letters

December 27, 2007
By Shenequa A. Golding SUN-TIMES NEWS GROUP

MOKENA -- Third-grader Matthew Roseland is one of many Americans who has family fighting in Iraq. His older brother is in the National Guard.

However, unlike most who fear for the safety of their loved ones, 8-year-old Matthew knows he'll see his brother again.

"I know my brother is really strong and smart." he said.

Toni Szostak's Mokena Elementary class made cards and wrote letters to 55 Marines and members of a surgical unit stationed in Al-Taquaddum, Iraq.

A class parent who participated in a similar letter-writing project last year suggested the idea to Szostak.

The 8- and 9-year-olds understood the sacrifice men and women in the armed forces were making.

Grace Pieczynski expressed sympathy for the forces fighting in the Middle East, and she hoped for their safety.

"I feel bad for them because I know they're doing it for their family and the country," Grace said.

"I wish for them to be safe and come home safely."

Danny Rymud said he hoped writing his card would make the soldiers happy because he knew they missed their families. For some students, the project struck close to home.

Emily Trader has an uncle fighting overseas.

"I'm excited (about writing the letters) because Iraq is, like, important to me, and I don't want the soldiers to get hurt." she said. "They're protecting our country and bringing peace to us."

Classmate Caroline Ward took the letter-writing seriously. Although she couldn't give a gift to the soldiers, she offered something more valuable.

"I think that it's important that they get some notes," Caroline said. " I hope their families pray for them, and I know I'll be praying for them."

Ellie