State law enforcement may now cite those who falsify their war exploits. <br />
By Peter Hecht - phecht@sacbee.com <br />
Published 12:00 am PST Thursday, December 27, 2007 <br />
<br />
One...

jerryd6818
02-11-08, 11:09 PM
Interesting Census Stats and "Been There" Wanabees:

1,713,823 of those who served in Vietnam were still alive as of August 1995 (census figures -- During that same Census count, the number of Americans falsely claiming to have served in-country was: 9,492,958 -- As of the current Census taken during August 2000, the surviving U.S. Vietnam Veteran population estimate is: 1,002,511. This is hard to believe, losing nearly 711,000 between '95 and '00. That's 390 per day. During this Census count, the number of Americans falsely claiming to have served in-country is: 13,853,027. By this census, four out of five who claim to be Vietnam vets are not.
The Department of Defense Vietnam War Service Index officially provided by The War Library originally reported with errors that 2,709,918 U.S. military personnel as having served in-country. Corrections and confirmations to this errored index resulted in the addition of 358 U.S. military personnel confirmed to have served in Vietnam but not originally listed by the Department of Defense. (All names are currently on file and accessible 24/7/365).

Taken from http://www.*************/forums/0,15240,84591,00.html

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

johnklabrake
11-10-09, 12:35 PM
My brother and I were corpsmen during the Vietnam War. I served after him, from 1972-1976, and though I was with USMC infantry units afloat, I am classified only as a Vietnam "ERA" veteran and my DD-214 does not show awards for Vietnam service, only the National Defense service ribbon along with personal and unit awards. I was on Yankee Station, a point in the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Vietnam, whereas my brother who was in-country for one day while he was stationed on the USS Repose rated the Vietnam Campaign Medal the Vietnam Gallantry Cross and the Vietnam Service Medal.
Could the US Census be asking the wrong question, such as "did you serve during the Vietnam War?" rather than "while in the military, did you serve in Vietnam?". It makes a difference as you can see.
There is no doubt much fraud connected to military decorations and it is an insult to veterans to have these discrepencies fostered by poor census taking.

jerryd6818
11-14-09, 11:56 AM
My brother and I were corpsmen during the Vietnam War. I served after him, from 1972-1976, and though I was with USMC infantry units afloat, I am classified only as a Vietnam "ERA" veteran and my DD-214 does not show awards for Vietnam service, only the National Defense service ribbon along with personal and unit awards. I was on Yankee Station, a point in the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Vietnam, whereas my brother who was in-country for one day while he was stationed on the USS Repose rated the Vietnam Campaign Medal the Vietnam Gallantry Cross and the Vietnam Service Medal.
Could the US Census be asking the wrong question, such as "did you serve during the Vietnam War?" rather than "while in the military, did you serve in Vietnam?". It makes a difference as you can see.
There is no doubt much fraud connected to military decorations and it is an insult to veterans to have these discrepencies fostered by poor census taking.

8,744,000 personnel were on active duty during the war (5 August 1964-28
March 1973) http://www.mrfa.org/vnstats.htm

Even if the 13,853,027 who claimed service in Viet Nam were confused about the distinction between "served in Viet Nam" and "served during Viet Nam", that leaves over six million who are confused about the distinction of "serving in the military" and "not serving in the military" or "serving during Viet Nam" and "not serving during Viet Nam" I don't think it's poor census taking, at all. I believe there are just that many lying bastards in this country.

Read 'Stolen Valor'. Once you finish the book, I can almost guarantee you'll look at "Viet Nam vets" in an entirely different light. (in more ways than one)

FistFu68
11-14-09, 12:49 PM
:evilgrin: I went too the VA.Cemetary too pay my Respects too My MaMa and Papa.My PaPa was a Lifer.Then I noticed a Newer stone of a Man I Knew was not a VietNam Veteran but on His Stone it said VIETNAM.So I stop by the Cemetary Office and they go anyone Who was in the Military during Vietnam whether in Country or not gets Vietnam put on their Stone.This is in Wisconsin thought it was Kinda misleading actually :confused: :iwo:

KaosDad
11-16-09, 01:55 PM
I think I have to doubt that one. I know many, many vets (some have passed) including my Pops who were very definity IN the military during VN, but were not in country. They did not recieve the medals nor do they have "Viet Nam" on the stones in Arlington. Not accusing anyone of shenannigans, but it sounds like the stone mason had a left over stone he needed to move.

FistFu68
11-16-09, 02:28 PM
:usmc: Contact the Wisconsin Dept.Of Veterans Affairs Cemetary Division,cause If they had not Approved it believe Me I would have ripped it outta the ground I had a perfound Dislike for this Fake.But If a Man was in Country they put Besides Vietnam!!! Purple Heart which speaks 4 itself If He rates it :confused: :iwo:

FistFu68
11-16-09, 02:47 PM
:evilgrin: Any Veteran who served within the Vietnam Era time frame Here in Wisconsin has VIETNAM put on His or Her gravestone.The only way too tell if they were In Country or not is If you knew them Personally or they have award like Purple Heart or Silver Star carved into the Stone.This ain't Arlington call 1-800-384-2000 ask for VA, Cemetary Manager regular Bizz Hrs.If it weren't so I would have Ripped the Bastrads stone outta the Earth S/F :evilgrin: :iwo:

Troutzilla
11-16-09, 04:09 PM
KaosDad....many things are different here in Wisconsin when it comes to Veterans.This State goes out of it's way do take care of Veterans...at the Vet Center that I am involved with we have guy's and gals that have moved here from around the country because of the many State benefits that are available once residency has been established. Things ARE different here.Next May the State is Welcoming Home ALL Vietnam and Vietnam era Vets up at Lambeau field (link below) check it out.
Semper Fi Brother Fist

:flag:

http://dva.state.wi.us/

http://lzlambeau.org/

FistFu68
11-16-09, 04:43 PM
:usmc: Right on TROUT,I've lived in a Few states and Wisconsin is up there with any when It comes too it's Veterans Bar None.Oh and if You happen too Run into that 52" Muskie up at the top of the Willow Flowage at mouth of Cedar Falls that broke my 50Lb.test line catch that Onry Fish(LoL) S/F My Marine Brother :beer: :thumbup:

Troutzilla
11-16-09, 05:00 PM
:usmc: Right on TROUT,I've lived in a Few states and Wisconsin is up there with any when It comes too it's Veterans Bar None.Oh and if You happen too Run into that 52" Muskie up at the top of the Willow Flowage at mouth of Cedar Falls that broke my 50Lb.test line catch that Onry Fish(LoL) S/F My Marine Brother :beer: :thumbup:

What did you lose along with that fish...Bucktail or a Joe Bucher Top Raider?
I trout fish that area around the Willow ....down on the Bearskin Creek and up the road on Rocky Run they both run under Hwy 51...Great country up there,eh!!

Semper Fi

Artemis
11-16-09, 06:03 PM
The guy that the mention in there Justin McCauley is in my unit in the National Guard here in California. I am ashamed to know him.

Vandrel
12-07-09, 10:32 AM
I am glad that these people are getting what they deserve. It's completely mind boggling as to why retards do this stuff when they know SOMEONE will notice.

willhobbs5
12-08-09, 10:06 PM
General Manager of our local water company claims to have flown "secret missions" into North Vietnam. Won't give details because they were "secret". He has never claimed any medals, pow status, etc...that I'm aware of, just that he was trained as a Navy Co-Pilot and flew secret mission over North Vietnam. **** head says he served as an enlisted squid, 64 to 68. I know the navy stopped training new enlisted pilots in the late 40's/early 50's. Before my time in our community he told a good friend of mine that he was a snipe on an aircraft carrier. Last year in a public hearing he testified under oath that he served for 3 years as a "fireman" in the navy. If memory serves, a "fireman" is a basic seaman is it not? **** head is in very hot water with the state Attorney General's Office, being sued civilly by water company members and most likely in trouble with several state and federal agencies for his conduct as the GM of our water co. Don't suppose there is much that can be done other than spread the word that he is lying but any suggestions would be helpful. This Chuckle head is a real piece of work and tries to gain support by presenting himself as a Vietnam Veteran who "flew secret missions into North Vietnam".

Will
:usmc:

Sgt Leprechaun
12-09-09, 04:26 AM
Correct. He's now also in violation of the Stolen Valor act. The last enlisted Naval pilot retired in 1981, but realistically, there were NO EP's commissioned during the Vietnam time period. Also, that last EP was an LDO when he retired. A "Fireman" is someone who works below decks and hasn't even been 'rated' yet by the Navy (as I understand it from the Vietnam Time period).

This guy is reportable to the FBI as violating the Stolen Valor act. If he has used this story to obtain goods or services of ANY kind, then it's also a fraud case.

willhobbs5
12-09-09, 07:23 AM
Sgt Leprechaun <br />
<br />
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll make a copy of the taped interview, print off a copy of the transcript and take if from here. <br />
<br />
&quot;If you don't know how to do it yourself....find...

Sgt Leprechaun
12-11-09, 06:34 PM
Good deal sir. Let me know how it goes.

v/r

willhobbs5
12-11-09, 09:53 PM
Joe

I hope you don't mind me calling your Joe. (I have to look up how to spell "Leprechaun"). Also please call me Bill. I left the "sir" stuff behind 18 yrs ago.

I found out how to send a freedom of information request for the to the records center in St. Louis and the letter is already in the mail. Hopefully I'll have an answer by March.

Another buddy of mind, a retired CWO4 (Coast Guard, but don't hold that against him, he's pretty cool) is jumping on the band wagon, along with a retired Marine Major, (Not too sure about him yet) to help me put the screws to this turd.

Thanks for your information and support

Bill

Sgt Leprechaun
12-11-09, 10:30 PM
Bill:

Outstanding! "Lep" works just fine. And "Bill" it is. Old habits, as they say, die hard.

v/r
Lep

willhobbs5
01-13-10, 09:28 AM
Just to update this thread. I received a copy of the turd's military record on the 11th. Just like I thought he's been lying. I don't really get it. He did serve on the USS Enterprise in support of flying missions in North Vietnam for 5 months, not "Two Tours". He was part of the flight deck crew and had a demanding and dangerous job. Which is a far cry from being a pilot flying covert missions over North Vietnam nor being part of special operations, etc....He should be proud of what he did, but its not enough. Anyway I've made if public.

giveen
01-13-10, 10:30 AM
No member of our armed forces should ever be ashamed of what they did in the service.
Every job is important, and matters. Taking a look at the broad picture will bring that into focus.

echo3oscar1833
01-13-10, 02:06 PM
:thumbup:Well Said Giveen, honorable discharge, and the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor say enough. Semper!!!:thumbup:

Sgt Leprechaun
01-13-10, 09:19 PM
Just to update this thread. I received a copy of the turd's military record on the 11th. Just like I thought he's been lying. I don't really get it. He did serve on the USS Enterprise in support of flying missions in North Vietnam for 5 months, not "Two Tours". He was part of the flight deck crew and had a demanding and dangerous job. Which is a far cry from being a pilot flying covert missions over North Vietnam nor being part of special operations, etc....He should be proud of what he did, but its not enough. Anyway I've made if public.

OUTstanding!

GYSGTCHICKU
02-15-10, 10:56 AM
I know a guy who told me that he has a Purple Heart and a Navy Cross. His primary MOS was 0141 but he said that he was involved in the Liberty Bridge battle. His name is Kyle LEWIS and told me he was...

willhobbs5
02-15-10, 11:11 AM
Gunny
If you want to check out this fellow, get his full name, date of birth and where he was born. Write to the National Records Center and request via the freedom of information act a pubic releasable copy of his service records. It will list his service time, awards, etc. When I wrote to them about a lying poser in my community, I had an answer in 19 days from when I mailed the letter. Questions answered. Here is a pasted copy of the letter I sent to the Records Center. Hope this helps.

Bill

__________________________________________________ ___________

National Personnel Records Center 11 December 2009
Navy Records Center
9700 Page Blvd.
St. Louis, Mo. 63132

Dear Sirs or Madam:

I am requesting, under the Federal Freedom of Information Act, the publicly-releasable form of the military record of James Harvard Rooks. DOB 17 September 1946. I do not have a service number or a home town. I do believe he was born in Missouri.

I believe he served in the Navy from 1964 to 1968.

He “claims” to have been special operations and gone on secret covert mission into North Vietnam on the ground. Also “claims” to have been a Navy Co-pilot (as an enlisted man) and to have flown covert missions over North Vietnam. In a sworn disposition (under oath) claims to have fought in Vietnam. Also, in a public hearing, while under oath, claims to have been a “fireman” for 3 years while in the Navy. Lists on his resume when running for a public office as being a Vietnam Veteran.

Any assistance in exposing this Poser would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

GYSGTCHICKU
02-15-10, 11:16 AM
Will,

Thanks For The Info. I'll See If I Can Get Dob Etc.

Semper Fi

Chick

willhobbs5
02-15-10, 11:18 AM
Gunny
I must be getting old. I checked the list of Navy Cross Recipients and the only "Lewis" awarded a Navy Cross in Vietnam is a "David Howe Lewis" US Navy. You can check the web site at (http://www.homeofheroes.com/valor/02_awards/index_nx/index-NXl.html)

Sgt Leprechaun
02-15-10, 11:55 PM
No record of a "Kyle Lewis" being awarded a Navy Cross. EVER.

Poser.