PDA

View Full Version : Family proudly flies flags

thedrifter
12-26-07, 08:28 PM
Last modified: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:07 PM CST

Family proudly flies flags

By Scott Bandle

The Henry family strongly supports those who serve in the military. The proof is on the corner of their yard at Foxfield and Foxcrest drives in Hazelwood

Sitting on a landscaped spot of the lawn, three poles fly the United States, Marine Corps, U.S. Army and missing in action flags. The middle flag pole stands at 20 feet, while the side poles are 15 feet tall. Each flag is 3 feet by 5 feet.

However, the display is not a political statement, said Michael Henry.

"A lot of people support the military but don't show it," said Henry, 61. "You look up and down the street, and we're the only ones showing the flags. We've always believed in God and country, and this is our way of supporting the military."

Henry served in Vietnam from 1966 to 1969. His son Mickey, 30, served with the Marines from 1996 to 2000. His extended family also served in the military. And his wife Paula's parents met in the Coast Guard.

"Eventually, we hope to get all of the military flags and fly them," Henry said. "Many of our friends also served in the military."

Overall, the reactions of passersby to the flags have been positive.

"We had a truck driver stop, look at the flags and said, 'I like it,'" Michael said.

The family has lived in Hazelwood for two years after moving from Glasgow Village. The American flag was always on display in Glasgow Village, but when Mickey decided to join the Marines, that flag was added.

Mickey, who went to Rosary High School, had wanted to be a Marine for a long time.

"I always like the idea of military," said Mickey, who is married and the father of five children. "I made up my mind before high school that I wanted to be a Marine."

His decision to join the corps threw his family a little bit, Paula said.

"When he told us, we were kind of like, 'Uh, wouldn't you rather be in the Army?'" she said. "However, he wanted to be a Marine."

Although he is no longer on active duty, Mickey is still a Marine in his heart. He sees the news about Iraq and sometimes wishes he was over there.

"Not a day goes by that I don't think about it," he said. "I was in Kuwait and Jordan before it started."

The Henrys want to add more flags to the display.

"We hope to get the Hazelwood flag and fly that, too," Henry said. "We want to get enough flags so that we can alternate them."

Reach Scott Bandle at sbandle@yourjournal.com.

Ellie