PDA

View Full Version : Marine, family enjoy Christmas season together

thedrifter
12-26-07, 12:57 PM
Marine, family enjoy Christmas season together

by: PAUL TACKETT World Staff Writer
12/26/2007 12:00 AM

Last year during the holidays, Jackie Burnett was torn.

The Christmas season had always been a joyous occasion for the Burnett family, a time of sharing meals and exchanging gifts.

But not when your Marine is gone.

Jackie's son, Marine Lance Cpl. James Burnett, spent Christmas 2006 serving in Iraq -- a long way from his family, including wife Megan and his 4-month-old daughter.

"It was hard being away from home, thinking about what everybody else was doing. Over there Christmas was just another day," said James, who enlisted three days after the Sept. 11 terrorists attacks.

James is home for Christmas this year, making up for lost time.

A year ago, he and his fellow Marines went out on so many missions -- 12 to 15 hours each -- that hot chow was a luxury and the memory of Christmas with family in Oklahoma was like a dream, he said.

"Christmas was probably one of the worst days I had in Iraq," said James, a member of the Marine Corps Reserve of Broken Arrow who's been activated twice for duty.

"I was gone and I missed my family and all that. And we had IEDs (improvised explosive device) and firefights all day long. People got hurt on that day. I was glad when it was over," James said.

Back home, times were hard for the Burnett family, who missed their loved one's presence over the holidays.

But this holiday season has been different.

On April 28, James' family welcomed him home at Tulsa International Airport.

"I was crying before James even got off the airplane," Jackie said.

Jackie said area veterans helped make the day even more special, including members from the Patriot Guard and Rolling Thunder, who welcomed the Marines home by lining the halls of the airport holding American flags.

"That wasn't something I expected. I didn't realize they did that," Jackie said.

"We didn't expect that at all," James said.

He was surprised by the reception, he said, because soldiers leaving and coming back is a common occurrence.

"To still get that kind of reception was amazing," James said.

Megan remembers preparing for the big day.

"It was kind of nerve-racking," Megan said. "Because you have this idea in your head of how things are going to go that day and I was just so nervous -- I don't know why."

The couple were worried how their daughter would react.

James was afraid she would cry the first time she saw him.

"She was fine and now as you can see, she's a Daddy's girl," Megan said.

"It's great (to be home)," James said.

He said all he wants to do is relax and spend time with Megan and his daughter.

But reality sets in.

"I'm home and everything, but there's things I need to be doing. I can't just relax all the time. You got to go back to work," James said.

Now, James works as a car salesman at Malone Motors in Bartlesville.

He's been looking forward to experiencing Christmas with his family this year.

James' parents bought and wrapped Christmas gifts for their son last year but it was April before he got to open them.

Missing so many of his daughter's firsts was difficult.

Her first tooth and first Christmas -- he won't be able to get those back, James' father Jim said.

But James did get to experience one: her first step.

"I'm making up for lost time," James said. "I'm just looking forward to having a normal family gathering."

Ellie