PDA

View Full Version : Friends signed up together; now, they're ready to serve

thedrifter
12-26-07, 12:52 PM
Friends signed up together; now, they're ready to serve
Faces of 2007: Boys becoming Marines

December 26, 2007
BY ELISABETH KILPATRICK Staff Writer

Six months after enlisting, Pfc. Max Escutia, Lance Cpl. Joseph Salgado and Lance Cpl. Ignacio Galindo are still learning what it means to be a Marine.

"Every day is a surprise for me," said Max, 18.

The three friends and 2007 East Aurora High School graduates left Illinois in June for boot camp, trading classes and family life for pushups and barked orders from officers. There was never any doubt that they would enlist after graduation. They were stars in ROTC at East Aurora, and the decision to join the Marines was one they had made years ago, spurred by a desire to see the world.

"It's another learning experience, another adventure," said Joseph, nicknamed "Boxer" by the other two.

When the three recruits arrived at Camp Pendleton, just north of San Diego, for boot camp, none of them knew what to expect. Surprisingly, the hardest part about boot camp wasn't the rigorous physical training.

"Boot camp is more about discipline," Boxer said. "I turned 18 on July 11. I celebrated by doing pushups."

Ignacio, 18, whom Boxer and Max affectionately call "Nacho," agreed. "I thought there was going to be a lot more physical action," he said. "It was a lot more mental."

The three friends shone in boot camp, winning several physical training and marksmanship competitions with the rest of their platoon. Still, the strains of Marine discipline were tough to take at times.

"They make you feel like you're nothing," Max said. "You can't even say, 'I.' You have to say, 'This recruit.'"

After graduating from boot camp in August and officially becoming Marines, Max, Boxer and Nacho came home for 10 days before shipping out again. The trip was a whirlwind of family time and visits with friends.

"I kept telling everyone in boot camp I was going to come home and eat my favorite Italian beef on Galena (Boulevard)," Nacho said. "I never even got a chance to go."

That brief trip home was followed by infantry training for the three Marines back at Camp Pendleton. Boxer and Nacho, who trained as basic riflemen, finished in November and are now stationed at Camp Pendleton.

Max had to wait on his military-issued eyeglasses, so he didn't begin training for another month. He finished Friday and is now a machine gunner. His home base will be Twentynine Palms, Calif., about three hours away from Camp Pendleton.

Their units all expect to deploy next year, and while they haven't received their orders yet, the three friends suspect that either Iraq or Afghanistan is in their future. If any of them feel apprehensive, they don't show it.

"That's the reason I joined," Nacho said matter-of-factly.

"I'm kind of glad there's a war going on," Max said, with the confidence of a freshly minted Marine. "I didn't want to just keep training and training and not get to see the real thing. I trust my training."

Military life is already taking each of them in different directions. Max said that since he's stationed at Twentynine Palms, his visits to see Nacho and Boxer will probably be infrequent. While Nacho and Boxer share a home base, they're in different companies, limiting time spent together.

But just like the vague fear of being hurt in combat, the young troops push aside any thoughts of growing apart.

"We'll keep in touch, that's a guarantee," Max said.

And after all, they're no longer just three friends from Aurora. They're fellow Marines.

Ellie