PDA

View Full Version : Veterans recall loneliness during holidays

thedrifter
12-26-07, 08:49 AM
Veterans recall loneliness during holidays
By Alan Van Ormer
Argus Leader

PUBLISHED: December 25, 2007

Mark Williamson had seen about everything during his tour of duty in Vietnam. What the Marine rifleman didn't expect was having an opportunity for two Christmas eves and two Christmas days in 1969.

"It was kind of amazing," he said. "It was kind of neat having two of each."

Williamson, who served four years in the Marine Corps, including 20 months in Vietnam, took advantage of a policy that allowed Marines to receive 30 days of free vacation if they agree to extend six months in Vietnam.

"My gift was the fact that I got to come home and in one piece," he said. "Sad part about it was that I knew I had to go back."

Williamson left Da Nang, Vietnam, on Dec. 23, 1969, and flew to Okinawa, where he changed into his dress greens. He left Okinawa on Christmas Eve and landed in Japan early Christmas morning. There, he sat in the airport for four hours and then was on to California.

Because the Pacific region is a day ahead of the United States, Williamson landed in California on Christmas Eve. He then flew to Kansas and on to Sioux Falls, where his family greeted him Christmas Day.

"It was great to be home," he said. "My family was all gathered."

Lt. Col. Reid Christopherson, Garretson American Legion post commander, said programs vary through branches of service. During the Vietnam War era, it was more common for the branches to offer incentives.

"There is no time of the year tougher to serve than during Christmas," said Christopherson, who was in Panama in 1979 and Turkey in 1993 during Christmas. "It gets pretty lonely."

On Christmas Eve, at the same time Williamson was heading back to the U.S., Larry Engebretson was working along the Cambodian border with the 1st Infantry Division.

"On Christmas Eve, we were out on an ambush," he said. "It was a clear night, and the stars were out. It was such a surreal feeling being over there rather than being home. It was hard to believe that you were there and not home.

"If you are ever going to feel the loneliness, Christmas really drives it home," he said. "You are always homesick a little bit, but the rest of the time you kind of put it in the back in your mind."

While home, Williamson kept remembering the members of his reconnaissance team still fighting in Vietnam.

His time in the states was like a blur, he said.

"It was like you had just gotten here," he said. "It was important to see my family. I never knew if it was the last opportunity I would get."

Ellie