PDA

View Full Version : buddy program

irizavrima
12-25-07, 10:18 AM
First off, I would like to thank everybody reading this a Merry Christmas. I have never been so grateful to be home for Christmas. What's bothering me is the buddy program. I am on the buddy program with a friend from high school. He is almost done with his mos school and mine wont be done for 3 months. Are we still afforded the oppurtunity to serve at the first duty station together? It's my understanding that that is one of the provisions in the agreement.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-25-07, 12:15 PM
Probably. You'll just get there before he does. And, just because you are both at, say, Lejeune or Pendleton (which fullfills the contract) doesn't mean you'll be in the same unit.

LoganS2k7
12-25-07, 12:44 PM
Good luck with that. Im on the buddy system and I didnt see my buddy once at PI. I got put in lead series and he was in follow. Luck of the draw I guess.

irizavrima
12-25-07, 01:03 PM
I'll talk to my course instructor about it and see what he says. I was just under the impression that I would be at the same duty station. I'll talk with my course instructor and take the initiative.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-25-07, 01:07 PM
And, so was Logan. They were both at PI at the same time, right?

Therefore, the contract was fullfilled.

While I understand you want to hang out with your pal and stay in your comfort zone and all that....

Try and make new friends/buddies as well. Expand your horizons. Why do and be the same old thing?

It's sorta like enlisting into the active duty Corps and then whining about deploying......

No, not saying you are whining...but it won't be the end of the world as you know it if you don't get to see your buddy right away or for a few months.

Wyoming
12-25-07, 01:48 PM
I enlisted on the buddy program.

Had known each other for 15 years.

Aviation MOS.

We were in the same platoon but different quonset huts, just opposite each other.

I am tall, he is short.

See each other? Sure.

Talk and visit? I think not.

I went into Helicopters and he was into the arresting wire bit.

We went home on leave together.

Spent time together and I went West Coast and he went to New Jersey or something for training.

Saw him again AFTER almost 4 years.

Sheeit, what the hell was your question?

yellowwing
12-25-07, 02:05 PM
We had a discussion in the Marine Section about our Service Buddies. More often then not our Buddies were folks that we would not ever hung out with in school. :D

1-1Heavygunner
12-25-07, 02:16 PM
I went buddy program. We did boot camp together. After that, I went to 1stMarDiv, he went to 2nd. I never saw him after Infantry School. You'll make new buddies, so don't sweat it. Have a blast.

thewookie
12-25-07, 06:22 PM
Get ova it!

I went in the buddy program, he was reservist and I went active, he is married with kids and I have a dog, next question.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-26-07, 10:11 PM
I figured there would be some fire on this one LOL....but I was being non malignant since it was Christmas and didn't want to hurt anyone's little feelings :)

Things are back to normal I see!

hrscowboy
12-27-07, 04:53 AM
I went in on the buddy system and my so called buddy went over the fence at the airport in SD from MCRD in the middle of the night,the dumb Fuc paid dearly for that one... sent him home with A Dishonorable he finally went to prison for trying to rob a bank.

davblay
12-27-07, 10:08 AM
Like my fellow marines before me, I went in on the BUDDY PROGRAM with two guys from my hometown! We were in the same platoon, different Gomer Pyle huts, never spoke to each other, one was dropped for rifle unqual, then one of us was a 1341 (me), one was a 0311, and the other was a 5800, or somthing like that. I never saw either of them for four years and one I still haven't seen since! Ironic that the Grunt and I went to Nam and never got shot, while the MP got shot by one of his cowboy brothers while playing with weapons after duty in Florida. A gut shot that almost killed him!

The Buddy program only says you will be in the same platoon at boot camp, as far as I can research anyways!

erased
12-27-07, 12:17 PM
I went in on the buddy system and my so called buddy went over the fence at the airport in SD from MCRD in the middle of the night...

The more things change...

One of the recruits from our series tried that in 2003. "There's always one", I suppose.