PDA

View Full Version : Marines have Christmas Eve party at sea

thedrifter
12-25-07, 07:08 AM
ABOARD USS TARAWA-- Marine and sailors from the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable) didn’t let the high humidity of the Arabian Sea and thousands of miles of separation from their families and friends keep them from celebrating Christmas here.

Instead, the Marines and sailors from Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 166 (Reinforced), threw a Christmas Eve party complete with drinks, cake and festive cookies in the Tarawa’s hangar bay.

HMM-166 (REIN) is from Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, Can Diego, Calif., and is the MEU’s aviation combat element. The 11th MEU (SOC), Camp Pendleton, Calif., is embarked aboard the Tarawa and other ships of the Tarawa Expeditionary Strike Group. They have been at sea since leaving San Diego Nov. 4 on a scheduled six-month deployment through the Western Pacific Ocean and Arabian Gulf regions.

After an all hands formation surrounded by helicopters and fixed wing aircraft, Lt. Col. Jack P. Monroe, commanding officer, HMM-166 (REIN) commended the Marines and sailors for a job well done and then entertained them with jokes and handed out prizes to those who could answer Christmas and Marine Corps trivia.

“What made Frosty the Snowman come alive,” Monroe asked someone in the crowd. “A hat,” said the Marine correctly to receive a prize. Prizes included basketballs, footballs, board games and small electronic items that were donated by members of the unit’s Key Volunteer Network back home.

With the ship steaming across the ocean through the darkness, many of the Marines found ways to make the best of things. With drinks and cookies in hand, some Marines beat the heat by moving their groups and conversations closer to the giant open bay doors to feel the breeze from outside.

Over the microphone, Gunnery Sgt. Christian Bull, squadron gunnery sergeant, told the Marines to help themselves to the snacks and a piece of cake before it melted away.

“Grab a lot of cookies,” he said. “But tomorrow, I want to see a lot of Marines on treadmills.” Or maybe the next day, he said, remembering that the commander had given the Marines Christmas day off.

Pfc. Derrick Baisa, aviation suppy technician, from El Paso, TX., who is on his first deployment, was happy to be getting the day off from work. He was also the proud owner of a large dartboard he won by naming an ornament as one thing that hangs from a Christmas tree. Although he was glad to be a winner, he said he couldn’t help feeling a little sad because he misses his wife back home. “It’s hard to be away from family. I don’t care what anybody says.”

That’s why Baisa said he appreciated the efforts of SgtMaj. Chermaine M. Harrell, squadron sergeant major, and other members of his unit who planned and made this party happen. Getting together with friends is helping him and others keep their spirits up, he said.

Because Christmas is such an important family event, Monroe made family a big theme of the party. He personally congratulated three Marines who had children born during their deployment. Monroe asked these Marines to answer special questions. One was asked to state the birthdays of his other children and another to state his anniversary. Both answered correctly and received a prize.

“Marines, do yourself a favor and don’t ever forget the answers to those questions, because your wives will always ask you at the most inopportune times,” said Monroe, drawing laughter and “Devil-Dog” grunts from the crowd.

Sgt. David J. Garcia, UH-1N “Huey” crew chief, from Phoenix, AZ, and new father, was asked the birth weight of his child. His wife gave birth to a baby girl Dec. 2. “She was born 5 lbs-15 oz,” he said confidently and correctly and received a prize from Monroe.

“I wish I could have been there to see her birth,” said Garcia, who is on his third deployment. But since he couldn’t, he made the best of the situation.

“When I found out she was born, I ran to the United Through Reading office to videotape myself reading a book to her,” said Garcia. “When she’s older, I know she’ll understand I was away doing something important for our country.”

Although he'll spend this Christmas away from home, Garcia said he refuses to let being separated from his loved-ones get him down. Instead he looks forward to the future and sends a message to his wife and newborn daughter. “I love you and I’ll be home soon.”