PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi Ambassador: The game is over.

wrbones
04-09-03, 08:30 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,83706,00.html

Iraqi Ambassador: 'The Game Is Over'

Wednesday, April 09, 2003

UNITED NATIONS — Iraq's U.N. ambassador said Wednesday "the game is over" -- and he expressed hope that the Iraqi people will be able to live in peace.

"The game is over. We hope that peace can prevail," Mohammed Al-Douri said as he left the Iraqi mission in New York.

Later, Al-Douri repeatedly said he hoped for peace, "and that at the end of the day, the Iraqi people will have a peaceful life."

He also said he has no relationship with Saddam Hussein and has had no communications with Iraq for a long time because of the war.

"I am here, so I know nothing about what is going on there," he said.

Al-Douri's comments to reporters outside his residence were the first admission by an Iraqi official that U.S.-led coalition troops had overwhelmed Iraqi forces.

"My work now is peace," he said. "The game is over and I hope the peace will prevail. I hope the Iraqi people will have a happy life."

Al-Douri said he has had no communications with Iraq for a long time because of the war.

Earlier, the ambassador told Associated Press Television News: "This is a war and there will be a winner and someone who is a loser."

When asked what he thought about the scenes being broadcast from Baghdad, he said, "Well I don't know really, I watch the television like you."

Al-Douri, still holds the credentials as the ambassador representing Iraq, and will remain the ambassador until the Credentials Committee of the General Assembly is convened to decide otherwise.

The Credentials Committee will convene when any other government or entity that takes over governmental authority in Iraq submits a request that a candidate of their offering be considered for credentials.

The Credentials Committee also makes the final decision on any competing claims that are submitted by opposing governmental authorities

The Associated Press contributed to this report.